Yes, $250 isn't much, but I guess it is better than nothing. Also, as someone who just went on Medicare as of March 1, which is two-years after my disability status became official, I was very pleasantly surprised to find a terrific supplemental Medicare plan that costs just $167 a month and provides, among other things, payment for generic drugs throughout the entire doughnut hole period. In other words, as long as I go the generic route--which I do on every drug but Celebrex and, of course, Remicade--I will pay the exact same amount for my meds during the doughnut hole period as I would during the "regular" coverage. I knew such coverage existed with some supplemental plans, but I was very pleased at how low-cost the option was (expected it to cost at least a couple hundred more per month). Also, about a year ago I did some early research while helping choose Medicare coverage for my grandmother; at that time, I did not see many supplemental plans that offered this "gap coverage." When I went to choose my own plan in December, the number offering such coverage had gone way up--I'd guess that out of the 36 plans offered in my geographic area, roughly a third of them now had gap coverage (up from maybe two to five plans during that first look). I don't know if that was a preemptive move in anticipation of the health care bill (doubt it) or what, but it is definitely a good thing. That said, I do realize that for many, coming up with even the extra $167 a month would cause a hardship, but it will always be better to have such an option available than to have it not be there.

Brad

He who has a 'why' to live can bear with almost any 'how'.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Sounds like everything takes time, discipline, and patience, and those are seven things I don't have.
--Jon Dore