i don't even want to calculate the thousands upon thousands of dollars i'd be paying if i didn't have decent health insurance; between doctors visits, PT, and drugs (copays) and my premiums, i already spend hundreds to several thousand a year out of pocket, but at least i can afford it. without insurance it would be prohibitively expensive. and that's not even counting if something catastrophic were to happen. thus i understand completely why this is such a relief to you.

during my "relatively healthy" periods without PT or too many doctors visits, i probably pay less than $1000 a year (mostly for my drugs (arthritis is just one thing to contend with, many of us have other health issues), but in the years when things fall apart, PT adds up very quickly, and every time i seriously mess up a tendon or ligament, there is often a scan involved, sometimes cortisone injections, periodic trigger point injections, etc. and since they are still trying to figure out what kind of arthritis i have, blood work and scans.

others might think i am milking the system too much, and maybe they have a point? but if i weren't this proactive, i honestly believe that i wouldn't be well enough to work, and thus i'd be more of a drain on the system than i am now. i'm just really thankful that i have the health insurance to share the load, and am thankful that now others will have the same benefits that i've been so fortunate to have.

it would be nice if diet and exercise alone worked for all of us, and i certainly make them a part of my health plan, have pretty much my entire adult life. i remember naively thinking in my 20s when i watched all the health problems my parents and grandparents were battling, "if i just eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, i won't end up like them". but unfortunately, diet and exercise alone are not enough, sometimes genetics is a hard thing to beat.......

ok, time to go take my walk!

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)