hi tink!

gonna echo the others' advice, put in a few of my personal opinions and examples as well.

if you are "injuring" anything, maybe the tendons or ligaments, but they do heal up, that's what i irritate / injure.

i used to think, in my 20s, "oh, walking isn't really exercise!" but now that i am in my 40s, i see that clearly i was wrong and its one of the very best exercises one can do. it is great cardio, it is great for the bones, great for battling insulin resistance / diabetes, great for increasing HDLs. i love walking, but that's partly because where we live is pretty rural too, so lots of nice scenery, flora and fauna to observe. but not everyone enjoys it as much as i do, so if you find it not exciting enough, i understand. and the best thing about walking is that i rarely "hurt myself" doing it, and easy to note when i've had enough and stop.

as for overdoing it, funny the things we can and can not do, some totally surprised me. when i took the yoga class, was very good at the shoulder stand and it was a great stretch for my neck, better than traction even, and very similar, but i pulled a hamstring tendon doing the bow, pulled other tendons along the way. quit the class before i did real damage. i could have stayed there, done the things i could do, then done more of what i could do while everyone else was doing what i could not, but i always felt myself doing more than i should, so i just do a kind of PT exercises / yoga thing myself at home. i'm ok with that. but sounds like you want to get out of the house.

then i found after a while that weights always irritated my tendons, especially the entheses (tendon attachment points) but using the therabands or exercises that use gravity but no weight are ok for me for strengthening. so it was a learning curve for me.

and i think i'm the only person on this planet that failed water PT. high stepping and side stepping irritated my SI joint and my hamstring tendons. moving my arms back and forth in the water, especially with the floaties for resistance flared my upper back so bad had trouble laying to sleep for a month after that. also flared the left ulnar wrist ligament tear that i had been slowly healing so nicely. did some other crazy stuff to myself in just a few sessions. and this was with a PT and i warned her before, during, and after about my limitations and being careful, but she thought i was just "out of shape", so kind of ignored my warnings. so telling your instructor may or may not work, depends on what kind of person they are i guess. anyway, we got to a point where really all i could do in the water was walk normally and figured i could just do that on land a lot cheaper and a lot more conveniently and it would be better for my bones as well.

so to sum it up, yes, wouldn't be surprised if you are flaring entheses or some such thing. i know it do if i'm not careful.

i used to be able to swim along with the walking and biking. now i can walk and bike. hope that the flector patch (or maybe a drug) will settle my SI enough that i can swim again. also can do PT / yoga stuff at home (some of it, but never the bridge! evil for my SI! even when i do it properly) and i can use the therabands and exercises without weights (both stretching and strengthening).

but that is my list. i'd say listen to your body and discover your list.

there have been periods of time (at one time an entire year) when i could not even take a walk, thus i feel so fortunate to be able to walk, maybe that's why i love it so much. something i always took for granted, but when you literally can't do it, boy do you appreciate it afterwards.

be careful out there! hrtballon

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)