Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Thanks, Bilko.

And now... what a hard work translating all this!

Pello

Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Bilko

Thank you for sharing your knowledge - this is a very helpful list.
This will be a great help.

Regards

Carol

Carol
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
bilko and john, thanks for the great info ! :-)

"So long and thanks for all the fish" - Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
B
bilko Offline OP
Colonel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker
B
Hi Krishna,
you ask some very specific questions which unfortunately I cannot answer.
What Prof Ebringer said to his patients was really very simple, to eliminate the major sources of starch from our diet, potatos and anything made from wheatflour. From his writing it is clear he accepted that some would use the diet to come out of flare but return to a 'normal' diet afterwards. So no doubt he would have assumed the usual 3 meals a day, LSD certainly to be used during a flare, optional otherwise. If he ever gave additional advice it would have been specific to the problems of the particular patient, based on his knowledge of their medical condition.

This we prescribe though no physician . . .
Our doctors say this is no month to bleed. (Rich. II)

'Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on. 'I do,' Alice hastily replied; 'at least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing , you know.' 'Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter.
B
bilko Offline OP
Colonel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker
B
In reply to:

But as the original book was written years ago it is possible that everything they tested was reasonably fresh and not subjected to supermarket storage methods.

John, I have the last 3 UK editions of the book (it is revised about every 10 years) and the numbers for basic foods do change, so they are retesting. The current edition was published in 2002 so the testing would have been done during the '90s. They obtain their samples from the usual supermarkets etc, so that the results are as near to what is actually consumed by the customer as possible. But I don't know whether additional testing is done for the US edition.

From the introduction to the 6th UK edition . . .

It is essential that food composition tables are regularly updated for a number of reasons . . . the nutritional value of many of the more traditional foods has changed. This can happen when there are new varieties or new sources of supply . . . ; with new farming practises which can affect the nutritional value . . .

For most foods a number of samples were purchased at different shops, supermarkets or other retail outlets. The samples were not analysed seperately but were pooled before analysis. When the composite sample was made up from a number of different brands of food, the numbers of the individual brands purchased were related to their relative shares of the retail market.

Edited by bilko on 01/27/04 09:32 AM (server time).

'Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on. 'I do,' Alice hastily replied; 'at least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing , you know.' 'Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter.
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Bilko,

That's a SUPER list - thanks.

Sinta

E
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
E
For those of you on the low starch diet, what would be the cut off point? A food item that has 1.5gs? Even a rough idea would help!!
Thanks
Eric W

A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss, Hopefully!
B
bilko Offline OP
Colonel_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Colonel_AS_Kicker
B
If you look through the list you will see that a bread may be 30% starch by weight, a banana 2%, the difference being an order of magnitude. So I would say bread is high starch, banana low, but then I can eat a banana with no problems whereas some others would suffer consequences. You learn by experience what is sufficiently low in your own case.

AS Czar
AS Czar

Hi, Eric:

This is a good question, and it is dificult to answer with just a number:

If however, I had to pick some numbers, they would be: NSD <4% and LSD <8%.

The problems, past the degree of processing, are things like volume and timing. Certainly, we cannot consume a high starch food and then lower the percentage by consuming a large volume of low starch foods. Overeaters get arthritis at much higher rates than the general population, and this is one contributing reason.

And, we have a moving target: As our tract begins to heal, some of us can 'get away' with a few adventures into starchville's suburbs with impunity--that is why we are constantly 'expermenting.'

Best to You,
John

"Any teacher who can be replaced by a machine, should be."
Isaac Asimov, 'Project Hole-in-the Wall'

E
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
E
Thanks for the numbers. I just can't see my self lasting on a no starch diet, I think I would really need a lot of support from family and friends. The numbers give me something to go by.
Eric

A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss, Hopefully!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!