Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19382 12/12/01 09:27 PM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
This post is sticky and for recipes and now important links only--pleas no discussion in this string; just the facts, people.

Starch-free recipes

Chili Rellenos Casserole

This recipe uses Ortega, Poblano, or Anaheim chiles. These are large, mild peppers that are often found in cans in the Mexican foods section, or in season at the grocers in the Southwest US.

In a rectangular Pyrex dish about 3" deep:

Pour in a thin layer of a mild salsa or even spaghetti sauce (Prego makes starchless)
Julienne a layer of iceberg lettuce to cover this
A smoky Montery Jack, mozzarella, or other soft white cheese can be either cut or grated over lettuce
Place strips of the Ortega (etc) over this
Julienne another layer of lettuce upon the chiles
Sliced black California style olives, diced red onions (pre-cooked, if desired), and fresh cilantro
Scramble whole eggs, approximately 1 for every 4 inch square, and pour over the present layers
Add a bit more salsa and another layer of chiles
Finish with more cheese and fresh cilantro. Slivered almonds can be used, also.

This should be baked for 45 minutes at 260F, and broiled to skin-over for another 5 minutes or so.

While hot, the casserole should be sliced into individual servings. These freeze and reheat quite successfully.

Serve with favorite salsa.

DragonSlayer #19383 12/13/01 01:22 AM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
OKRA. The food characters of okra that most people avoid are actually important in treating AS and LGS, and it should be eaten twice weekly, if possible.

Wok cooking is easiest. This type of shallow frying is much less damaging than other, heavier and more oil-consuming fry methods. A bamboo steamer can be used for the first stage of cooking so that much less time in oil and less oil is used.

Coarsely chop up a whole onion. Purple onion, if milder flavor is preferred.
Add two garlic cloves that have been finely sliced; less for milder taste.
Remove tops and the bit of tail from each okra and French-cut (angle) into 2-3 sections.

The onions and okra can be steamed together for 15 minutes, the wok poured out and a small amount of oil (canola--rape seed--oil is best) heated. Flash-cooked for another 5 minutes, tomatoes can be added any time, as well as some hot sauce to taste and garlic.

Water, with a bit of lemon juice, can be poured in after the flash cooking, if more liquid is desired.

DragonSlayer #19384 12/13/01 01:24 AM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar

BITTER MELON. This might be called ‘armagoso,’ and cerese root, and is often available in Asian markets. The basic character is somewhat odd, but it has antibiotic, antifungal, etc properties as well as other important tract cleansing properties. This is also a key treatment for psoriasis, and can be taken for about seven days during a month, then repeated.

The basic shape is similar to cucumber, and it should be sliced lengthwise and then into less than half inch segments. These are boiled in a small amount of water. Apparently, if the water is stirred very much the bitterness is increased, so gentle boiling for about 10 minutes is good.

Sections can be added to an egg scramble with other important herbs like garlic and chives. Fenugreek, another important herb in treating AS, can help offset the bitterness. Cayenne, as well as Tobasco can be used to help spice it up. Eggs, two daily (especially the yolks), are important in AS treatment, also.

DragonSlayer #19385 12/13/01 01:27 AM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar

BEAN SPROUTS. These are the germinated shoots of mung beans, and are not starchy. Fresh bean sprouts are best, but they are sold in cans in the Chinese food section of most large supermarkets. They are loaded with important enzymes and help provide bulk to the NSD.

These can be wok-fried, boiled, or even eaten raw. Mixed with pieces of scrambled egg, paneer (a solid curd Indian “farmer’s cheese”), or tofu, the tiny sprouts cook rapidly—4-5 minutes. Curry works wonders on sprouts, also.

Raw, they are pretty good in vinegar—apple cider is best, and this can be made into ‘balsamic’ by warming with raisins, celery seeds, blackstrap molasses, tarragon, and cooking sherry. Apple sauce can be used to thicken the reduced liquid, if desired.

DragonSlayer #19386 12/13/01 01:29 AM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
TOFU. Tofu, although from the soya bean, is not starchy and can enhance any dish. Its bland flavor can be a foil for most dishes, but I prefer seasoning the tofu to stand on its own:

On a Teflon baking sheet, dust on some California style Lemon Pepper along with an equal amount of a curry powder, cumin, or turmeric. Place sliced (just over ½” thick) extra firm tofu onto sheet. The top of the tofu can then be prepared with the same, after spreading first with A1, chutney, or just lemon or lime juice. Broil it for 6 minutes or so, or bake it aggressively until steam is evolved and it might require basting.

This is sliced into 1” lengths then scraped off the pan.

Can be added to just about any dish, and works quite well with spinach, okra, and bean sprouts.

DragonSlayer #19387 01/05/02 04:27 AM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
The problem of finding starchless snacks is a tough one on this less-than-convenient dietary regimen.

Those single-ounce string cheese snacks are nice, but more fattening than filling. Cottage cheese, is also a cheese, but handy with nothing else around. There are snack packs of fruit flavored applesauce, or cinnamon or plain.

I mix raisins and almonds together as a kind of GORP. "Craisins" (dried cranberries) can be used, also. We should be eating at least three raw almonds daily, for the B17.

Halvah is not starchy, and there are sesame seed and honey squares or cookies that are normally safe, although heavy on the sugar so if you have a C. albicans problem this might not be good. Trader Joe's have cookies that are just sugar and egg albumen--meringue, in three flavors, and these can be baked with relative ease. Again, too much sugar.

Grapes, and concord grape juice (unsweetened, if possible) can help with the starch cravings.

Uncooked carrots are not very starchy and probably acceptable in moderation, although some have trouble even with the sugar level in these.

Olives are nice, and can be mixed with Ragu and heated. No commercially prepared soups are starch-free, but I am experimenting with getting the Ragu/tomato paste, etc mixture right--watered down spaghetti sauce is about all I have ended up with to date...

I quit eating Jello upon becoming vegetarian, but tried it recently and did not gag, so it may be a good starch-free snack, especially with the glucosamine level.

Plenty of sunflower seeds, pepitas (gourd seeds), walnuts, Macadamia nuts, and filberts provide some variety.

Fruit leather is another option, but some have additives and modified food starch, as do many yoghurt brands--most of these do not have "live active cultures," either.

I used to be a major cracker, chips and salsa, and pasta consumer. I still like most of the things that I used to put on these--especially some salsas. "Nachos--Flanders style," are not so bad; cucumber slices with cottage cheese, olive, and some paprika. (variation on SImpson's neighbor, Ned Flanders, suggestion). I have even made spaghetti using the squash for the Myzithra cheese ("Plato's Delight" ?) as offered by Spaghetti Factory, but that is not really a snack as major cooking. Things like celery sticks can handle the cream cheese, onion dip, etc.

Cayce put chocolate in the same category as starches, but I have not had problems with it, outside the excess sugar. I do not eat very much of it, just in case.

Best to all,
John

DragonSlayer #19388 01/11/02 02:55 PM
I
Ike Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I
OK its not really pizza, but that what the recipe called it.
Good recipe to experiment with, such as mixing spaghetti sauce in with tomatoes, or spicing with Oregano and Rosemary instead of Basil.
I'm not absolutly positive it's stach free. I eat this often, with not even a hint of flare.

4-6 med. Zucchini squash (Yellow Summer squash works too)
2-3 tomatoes (canned tomatoes will work fine)
1 medium onion
1 lb. Mozzerella cheese (about 1/2 kilogram)
5-10 thin slices bacon
Basil, salt, pepper (or other zesty spices that you prefer)

Wash and slice Zucchini into lightly oiled baking dish
slice onion and cover squash-- season each layer as you go
slice tomatoes and cover onions
generously cover this all with cheese
cover top with bacon- only one slice thick
Bake at 400 degrees F for about 40 min. ... until bacon is done

DragonSlayer #19389 01/12/02 08:38 PM
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Saw this on the IBS website. Sure sounds good.

Show Off Scallops

Ingredients
Serves two or three
12 or so scallops - depending on their size and the number of eaters
garlic granules (do not use fresh garlic)
50g (2 oz) unsalted butter
100 ml (4 fl oz) brandy - apple or apricot brandy is especially good
150 ml (1/4 pint) double cream
1 tablespoon chopped chives

Method
Sprinkle the scallops with the garlic granuls. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the scallops and cook over high heat for 3 minutes on one side. Meanwhile, heat the brandy in a small saucepan. Remove the scallops from the heat, pour the brandy over the scallops, light the brandy with a match and, when it burns out, return the pan to a high heat and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cream, stir until hot again. Pour into serving dishes, then sprinkle with chopped chives.

Angus

No one said life would be easy, just worth it.

No one said life would be easy, just worth it.
tinynic #19390 01/12/02 09:05 PM
M
General_AS_Kicker
General_AS_Kicker
M
Ike and Angus,

Both those recipes sound great!! You should also post them in the Recipes Forum. I love scallops and veggies too!! Thanks!

Michelle

DragonSlayer #19391 01/22/02 01:16 PM
A
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
A
Hi all,

I found a great protein snack.

ham, alfalalfa (sprouted seeds of alfalalfa-plant) and cottage cheese...

put some alfalalfa on the ham and on top of that the cottage cheese.
use additional herbs/spices if desired
Then make a package, wrapping it all in the ham.

tasty, fast, available in the supermarket (netherlands) rich in protein and low in fat

the alfalalfa provides some fibre and vitamins

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!