Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#244542 11/30/06 06:43 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger

It's been five years since my friend Eric Pomo passed away. I miss him, and still think about him often. Especially this time of year.

Eric had severe AS, but it didn't have him. I met Eric and his wife Heather in August of 2000. Pete, Steve, DeAnn and I went to his home here in Utah since he was unable to come to our party. He made himself my friend the instant I walked through the door.

I learned a lot from Eric in the short year I had with him. Eric put people at ease about how difficult his condition was with humor. Eric was able to laugh easily at his AS, himself and me. He mostly laughed at me, and I was the recipient of much of his humor. I believe Eric truly loved everyone.

I've been fairly poor about incorporating any of what I learned with Eric into my own life over the last five years. I'm often consumed with the mundane, and trying to control things to be as I want instead of working with how they are. I don't make time to enjoy the small stuff, and instead spend weeks pining, planning and looking forward to the bigger stuff, that never fully satisfies.

I share this with you to remember Eric with those of you who knew him, and to introduce him to the newer KA members. You can read about Eric in the KA memorial section here.

“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourself out. Be as I am a reluctant enthusiast…a part time crusader, a halfhearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it… while you can. While it is still there. – Edward Abbey
Deanpaul #244543 11/30/06 10:23 PM
Gold AS Kicker
Gold AS Kicker
Thank you deanpaul, I almost forgot...well I did forget. I have this date circled on my online calendar but put didn't write down what the circle is for With my memory lately, that's a must.

You know, hardly a week goes by without something reminding me of Eric or Heather. They both were so special that I felt an instant connection and that feeling hasn't faded one bit. I feel blessed to have been with them even the little time we had.

Glad to see you still remember us

Take Care, my friend

Pete

[color:"green"] "Maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans But this is our hill. And these are our beans!"[/color]

- Lt. Frank Drebin

Deanpaul #244544 11/30/06 10:40 PM
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
I think of Eric often also. He made an impression on all of us that day. I will never forget the story of when he went to a cafe. The waiteress asked if he wanted more water, and he didn't reply so she asked again, still no reply. Then his wife noticed his eye brows going up and down. She told him he had to answer because he couldn't shake his head yes anymore. His neck was totally fused, and so he got no movement, only his eye brows would go up and down. I also remember the story of how his wife would pile pillows around him in the car when they would drive somewhere. This would help mimimize the pain.

Thanks DeanPaul, Thanks Eric.

Steve Orchard, Running from AS & MS
Orch #244545 12/01/06 02:18 AM
C
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
C
Well said DeanPaul! And it is good to see you....

Deanpaul #244546 12/01/06 06:07 AM
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
I'm a new member here, so I didn't get to know Eric while he was here. I am newly diagnosed, still trying to find answers and accept AS. I was reading Eric's story earlier this week when I was feeling depressed and sorry for myself. His story really touched me and made me stop and think. If he could remain happy, courageous and uplifting to others with his extreme case of AS, who was I to feel so sad when I still have a lot of good things left that I can do. I was thankful that his story was posted so that he can continue to inspire people.

Deanpaul #244547 12/01/06 06:26 AM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I never knew Eric, but I have read his memorial and it seems like he lived more in his short life than some of us live in a life time.

He reminded me of Sonny, Sonny's body was broken and twisted but his spirit and his smile was priceless. Every time I would talk to him or Sonette and I was down they knew exactly what to say to make me feel better.

The only thing I dont understand is why his wife died about a year later, I know it says she died of a broken heart but does anyone know the real reason (medical reason) it made me sad in one way but to know that she is with him now brought me comfort.

This just shows us that even though AS can take alot of things away from us that it can not take away our dignity (if we dont let it) and the love we share with our families.

Just like someone said when you look back on life you wont wish you worked at your job longer or harder or made more money...it will be about leaving your legacy for you family and the life you lead and showed them. And how you treated the people around you in the time you lived on this earth.

Lisa

Speak kindly, Live simply, Care deeply, Love generously, and BLAH, HA, HA, LOUDLY! every chance you get.

Deanpaul #244548 12/01/06 11:43 AM
J
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
J
Gidday,
Thanks for sharing eric,s life with us. I have only read erics story tonight and I am so sure that it has touched and sent messages to many many hearts .What an amazing person.
sharing..caring... enough to tell others about your friend is soo lovely .
Dont feel that you havent incorporated Eric because you have...you have made a friend for life and we can all see that he is still in your heart.You are enjoying the right stuff and whats even better is that you are sharing them with us......all the best,
jude2

Deanpaul #244549 12/01/06 02:01 PM
Hey Deanpaul,
Thanks so much for this post. I never had the pleasure of meeting Eric and Heather. Thanks for sharing the life lessons you received from knowing Eric. We can all take them to heart.

Keep Kickin'AS
Chris

Keep Kickin'AS
Chris

Deanpaul #244550 12/01/06 02:38 PM
Like others I never met Eric either, but have read his story here. Thanks for posting and bringing back to the forefront memory of a very special individual and couple.

Good to see you posting as well.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
Deanpaul #244551 12/01/06 05:20 PM
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hi DeanPaul

I remember when you guys went and met Eric, and when he died. It was such a sad time....

For Heather to die so shortly after shows just how much she loved him, and literally could not live without him.

Thanks for the reminder...

"You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love........."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 54 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM