Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 42 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 41 42
Quote:

I've asked Americans quite a few times what their coverage includes and how much they pay but so far I've had nobody tell me their details for some reason. ?

Because it is literally different for every single person, Timo. There is simply no stock way to answer that question. Right now, I pay $505 a month for my COBRA coverage, but my COBRA is not the same as the COBRA that another person might be paying the exact same amount for. That is because COBRA is an extension of the insurance you had when you were working--ie, private insurance provided to employees by an employer--and thus each person has different insurance because every company offers different insurance. My company offered an exceptional insurance package that includes an option that pays 100 percent of my expenses once I meet a $250 deductible for the year. Well, 100 percent as long as I stay in their health network--if I stray outside that network (which IS very large), I get hit with huge bills. Also, I do have a constant deductible on all prescriptions that ranges from $10 to $75 per prescription, depending on what type of drug it is. Another person also paying $505 for their COBRA might not have nearly the same coverage I do solely because their employer offered a different policy, one that covered far less than my insurance did.

The bottom line is my first sentence--insurance is different for every person here. Using my COBRA coverage was just one type of example of this.

Brad

Quote:

So the goal is to have no different plans and no different level of benefits. Equality for all.
Who is against this??

You'd be surprised, Timo, you'd be surprised.

Brad

Good Morning Timo

As I have said before I am also on COBRA. Carry on the insurance from my last employer. For Carol and I, we pay $630/mo. This is for hospital, medical, and prescription meds only. And with that there is a $20 copay at every doctor appointment, and a copay on meds that must be purchased in 90 day quantities from the insurance company's pharmacy. This runs from $20-$100 depending on the med and whether a generic is available. COBRA is a limited time coverage to fill a gap between becoming unemployed/uninsured and finding a new insurance carrier.

There seems to be a misconception, even among others in the US that Medicaid is a free pass for everyone to get healthcare. Not True! In my own case, Carol works a part time job for minimum wage. Her employer does offer insurance that is so poor that he doesn't carry it himself. This will cost her approx. $325/month once the COBRA runs out. She cannot receive Medicaid because she makes "too much money". I cannot go on her employer's insurance due to the AS. So my choices are to find a private carrier that will accept me with AS, an impossible task. Or go to Medicaid. If I go with the Medicaid, because of Carol's income I will have an approx. $350/month "Spend Down". In other words every month, the first $350 comes out of my pocket. Also Enbrel is not covered, which isn't a big deal since my rheumatologist does not accept Medicaid. So once COBRA has ran its course I wind up paying more money for much less coverage than I currently have. There are other state run options for low income households but they cost even more than this.

I would whole heartedly support a government based insurance plan if they could pull it off. And even pay another $60 to extend that coverage as yo have. The problem here is that our leaders, regardless of party lines, are in bed with big insurance, and big business. So they aren't going to slap the hands of the people that put them in office. So we get a social insurance that benefits the insurance companies and healthcare companies, not the public at large.

Keep Kickin'AS
Chris

Dow,

At least from my standpoint I disagree. Yes I am a Republican and have held a job and paid taxes and social security since I was 13, however now I am not working due to my AS and its related complications. And I am paying my own way on COBRA insurance for the time being. And I never held my insurance policy over the head of anyone, rich or poor, citizen or alien. I do feel that to be covered by an insurance that no doubt we the people will be paying for, that you should at least be a citizen or legal visitor to the US.

I am not against the general issue of having a national health insurance. I am against having one pushed onto us that we know so little about, and how it will be financed and for how much. I would feel this way regardless of the party in charge. There are so many spins on what this plan covers and doesn't cover and where the money will come from to fund it, does anybody really know what we are getting? The plan on paper looks like a NYC phone book. Just give us the facts and let the people decide.

Keep Kickin'AS
Chris

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Replace Detroit with Baltimore or Atlanta or Sacramento. My statement was not about the folks of Detroit, but rather about people that game the system and the exercise (the handout) that was carried out. Personally, I see something far more dangerous happening there (no, not a Detroit-related problem), but that is not fodder for this forum. There are some folks everywhere that game the system. It shouldn't have been anything that was construed as personal toward the citizens of the city in which you reside. I can appreciate your going on the defense. I likely would have regarding the folks of my native city too.

Your right, I don't know a darn thing about the folks that stood in line to receive help. However, understand this. I don't mock people or laugh at them or their hardships. I've had too many health related hardships (not just AS) in my life to want to make fun or make fun of anyone's hardships. I've also received plenty of help from others in my life. Heck, right now I live with my parents since having to discontinue my job due to health related matters.

I also find agreement with you that the news media will find whatever they believe is most entertaining to their viewers/listeners/readers instead of reporting facts. They interject with politically biased opinions and creative editing to sway the audience instead of letting the viewer/listener/reader interpret the facts and draw their own conclusion.

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
Quote:

But anything has to be better than what we have now, which for me is no insurance at all thanks to our wonderful disease -- no one will cover me and I don't qualify for Medicaid, so I definitely need help.

Hey Pete,

That makes it personal, and a personal argument wins me most of the time. I have to ask myself, "is there some way I can help Pete?" The answer is, unfortunately, no. I can only hope that our often times less than gifted gov officials will produce a piece of legislation that won't bankrupt our country and/or me. We are already spending way too much money on way to many things the Gov. should not be involved in, so this could, in fact, be the load of bricks that breaks the camel's back.

Dean

PS, thanks for the Thanks Pete, but I couldn't serve in the armed forces. I volunteered for the Navy and Air force, and then went to the army when drafted, but none of them would have me. Something about having a bad back. Heheh

Last edited by 30yrvet; 10/14/09 02:19 PM.

Keep the Faith!

Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
Quote:

What the U.S. healthcare system does well, it does better than any country in the world--that is irrefutable. But until everyone has at least basic access to that system, to say it is not broken is equally indefensible, in my opinion.

Brad

Hey Brad,

Thanks for your opinion. I have learned over the years I've been on KickAS to value it highly. However, it is your opinion. The facts are as you stated, the US has a healthcare system that is the envy of the world. The law in any state I've ever lived in is that no one can be refused treatment because they can't afford it. That could be different in Michigan, but I somehow doubt it. You are right, though. If someone does not avail themselves of the services, they won't get treated. And, they may not be first in line, but we are a generous nation, and we will not refuse medical care to anyone. That's the Law.

Dean

Keep the Faith!

P
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Quote:

PS, thanks for the Thanks Pete, but I couldn't serve in the armed forces. I volunteered for the Navy and Air force, and then went to the army when drafted, but none of them would have me. Something about having a bad back. Heheh

Oops, there I go again not reading carefully; I thought you had said that you were in the Vietnam War. Anyway, thanks for trying to serve, lol; your heart was definitely in the right place. And thanks to all who serve and protect this great country!

Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Wow Brad, I very much agree with you, and have sincere sympathy for your friend.

My own mother is in this 'working poor' group, and in NJ she does better as she has a job that pays a slightly more livable wage (about 14/hr).

Six years ago when she was living in Florida, the only jobs available to her were day labor in cleaning up construction sites or doing landscaping at the golf courses at slighly over 5 dollars an hour, all with no health insurance of course. And all of her friends in neighbors were in the same sand trap. They had each other and not much more. She watched a very good friend of hers die of ovarian cancer caught late and basically untreatable, this poor woman never had a chance. So sad.

Shame on America for looking right over these people's heads to the middle class and never taking the time to solve this from the bottom up.

Jess

Dx'd AS (seronegative spondylarthopathy), Fibromyalgia 8/2007
Be happy for this moment... This moment is your life.

Quote:

We are already spending way too much money on way to many things the Gov. should not be involved in

As far as I know, the goal of this health legislation is to lower costs. Check out this chart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Canada

where the US is spending 16%, the most, on healthcare costs as a percentage to GDP. If it was possible to lower that by 5% the savings would be enormous and the legislators know that.
I would hope this is an unloading of bricks for all Americans.

Timo
Page 9 of 42 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (haydenk, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM