Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Kiwi #384756 03/27/10 05:00 AM
F
finnari Offline OP
Veteran_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
I think there is a huge difference between eating some "junk food" and actually being an advocate for the company that makes it or needing to rationalize that very food. There is my issue with Sinclair.

finnari #384763 03/27/10 07:05 AM
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
I think Carol Sinclair was just trying to give people a little heads up on eating out.

You could take some of her comments out of context and argue otherwise, but when you read the whole section under the McDonald's heading she is not so much "defending" McDonald's as giving people informaion about the best fastfood options for no-starch dieters (the best of the worst if you will - it's all fast food after all).

She says "when you're tired and hungry and scared to try unfamiliar food, those golden arches are like a magnet." She is saying that if you need to eat in an emergency then McD's is the safest option - or at least that's how I interpret it.

I wouldn't aim for those sorts of restaurants on a no-starch diet (or on any diet!! except on rare occassions) - but if I were to get caught out (and it does happen) then thanks to Carol I know what food is safe for me to eat at McDonald's. I also know what is not safe - without having to do all this research myself!

I have no ulteria motives or allegances here - just thought I'd give my view as I see it. No getting on high-horses intended laugh2

Take care, all roll

KickAS and help others do the same!
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Hey, I'll defend McDonald's a little bit here

I think their Angus burgers are quite decent, order with bacon but no cheese, don't eat the bun

use the fork that comes from the salad, grilled, not crispy chicken option

Paul Newman Vinaigrette dressing, tested it at home with iodine

the salads used to be better, though. But it really did surprise me that one of them had as much raw spinach, tomatoes in them, not just iceberg lettuce

course, I haven't seen "Food, Inc." documentary about how all this is prepared

people who have watched it said they'll never eat at any fast food restaurant ever again!

Dow
Dow #384780 03/27/10 10:09 AM
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
Hello Dow

No Angus burgers in France - man you've got my mouth watering!!!
We have the famous "Mc Croque" burger here (based on the traditional ham and cheese Croque Monsieur) this is really not good enough!!!!!!!

As for preparation of fast food... well what you don't know can't hurt you... or make you gag!!!
eek2 spook eek2 sick1 eek2 sick

Last edited by Tinkerbell; 03/27/10 10:11 AM.

KickAS and help others do the same!
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
McDonalds in France...

gotta make me remember this:

(caution, four-letter words eek2)

but I think it's only fair to recognize that McDonald's HAS improved their nutritional content of foods. Still not good, I'll grant you that

but try looking at the nutritional value here:

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/nutritionexchange.do

add a Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken

with Newman's Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette

and an Angus Bacon & Cheese, but tell them to hold the cheese, and don't eat the bun

bottle of water to drink

really not too bad, I think, 1090 calories, and don't know how to calculate how much should be subtracted for not eating the bun and cheese-

Dow
AS Czar
AS Czar

Hey, Tinkerbell:

Quote:

You could take some of her comments out of context and argue otherwise, but when you read the whole section under the McDonald's heading she is not so much "defending" McDonald's as giving people informaion about the best fastfood options for no-starch dieters (the best of the worst if you will - it's all fast food after all).

Well said. In her presentation she stated that the reason she wrote a COOKBOOK was because she never eats out--almost nothing is trustworthy except stuff like the unadulterated (all-beef) MickeyDs patties. It is more a statement of fact that it is possible to find something universally available, in a pinch.

You have just interpreted her words the way she intended--certainly no advocate for MickeyDs.

And for others, she does not normally take physicks (Epsom salt), but on one occasion was bound up for a long time after eating improperly harvested nectarines. Eventually, the ambulance ride to hospital jarred and bumped her enough that stuff began to move in the right direction.

Best Regards,
John

Dow #384813 03/27/10 07:19 PM
F
finnari Offline OP
Veteran_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
Originally Posted By: Dow
Hey, I'll defend McDonald's a little bit here

I think their Angus burgers are quite decent, order with bacon but no cheese, don't eat the bun

!

fast food restaraunts are dipping there hamburger in ammonia to prevent E coli outbreaks. Now one will never be able to trace getting a disease or sickness to eating an ammonia burger so they will get away with it. But do you really want to eat an ammonia burger?

I'm quite certain they dont use angus beef here. If your able to buy a burger for one dollar it probably corn fed beef right out of the feed lot dipped in ammonia.

Happy eatings. laugh

I have gone almost 2 weeks... after a while you stop eating because it is uncomfortable. And yes I was going to doctors every couple of days since items were not improving.

Very frustrating with IBS when it happens. Thankfully last 4-5 years really no major issues. Most is maybe 2-3 days.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
finnari #384840 03/27/10 10:57 PM
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: finnari
fast food restaraunts are dipping there hamburger in ammonia to prevent E coli outbreaks. Now one will never be able to trace getting a disease or sickness to eating an ammonia burger so they will get away with it. But do you really want to eat an ammonia burger?

Yikes!!! eek2

Originally Posted By: finnari
I'm quite certain they dont use angus beef here. If your able to buy a burger for one dollar it probably corn fed beef right out of the feed lot dipped in ammonia.

Happy eatings. laugh

they certainly claim to, and their Angus burgers are not a dollar, they definitely taste better than their other burgers. if you have them without the extras, bread, mayonnaise, cheese and all that, it's pretty clear there is a difference

Guess as usual, the truth is likely somewhere between their slick PR and people's fears

Just as a silly aside, and to demonstrate that I am far from an expert on the subject of meat, many many years ago, took a vacation in the Florida keys, and when we went driving around, saw all these steak restaurants that had big neon signs that said they featured something called "Black Angus"

I kept wondering, who is this guy Black Angus?

Somehow I kept thinking of Eddie Murphy... (blush)

Dow
finnari #384852 03/27/10 11:51 PM
Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Marsha just sent me this:

NY Times article about ammonia injected in beef products to prevent E.coli

we noted that the process is done to grocery chains meat, not just fast food, as well!

and not as effective in preventing contamination as originally believed

Double Yikes! eek2 doh

Dow
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 35 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
New recipe website from Janneke
by DragonSlayer - 05/10/22 05:03 PM
Chiropractic care
by jwmson - 04/18/22 01:19 PM
Looking for help dealing with Heartburn
by Magician - 03/11/22 11:15 PM
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Electromyography (EMG) test
by Magician - 10/01/21 04:03 AM