Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
The weather is changing today, big time, and the change is bringing on the pain. We had a gorgeous Thanksgiving. I wore short sleeves and sandals, which is pretty cool for mid-November. Breathtaking blue skies. Awesome.

But the cold front is coming in - quick. It will be almost freezing by tomorrow. From the 80s to the 30s in 24 hours.

I feel broken. I haven't felt this bad since last February when I ended up stuck in bed for a month.

I know it is cold where most of you are. Is there anything I can do to minimize the onslaught of pain when the pressure changes and the air gets nippy? I don't want to become a hermit again.

I missed some the holidays last year, including my birthday, because my back was too hurt to leave the house. That was very bad for me mentally. My kids made memories without me. For me, that's pretty much the worst.

I don't do the "pity me" thing often (not out loud anyway), but this is it...

Anything I can do?

Thanks. And Happy Thanksgiving!!!

~ Holly
Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
I have a hot bath and it helps. I know what pain in weather changes is like, you are talking to one right now! Good Luck

Samantha

A.S.
Fibro
Undiagnosed Chronic Fatigue

Live like nobody is watching, Love until you can't and Travel to the moon & back
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Thanks Sammie. I might get the kids to get their crap out of the tub so I can take a bath. It is a minefield in there...

~ Holly
Bronze_AS_Kicker
Bronze_AS_Kicker
I find changes in weather and barametric pressrue affect me too. In the winter, I have to make sure I don't get too cold, especially at night. (although it's a problem anymore thanks to those wonderful hotflashes blush2 )
and I have a hot tub...it can really help sometimes. And try not to stress too much over holidays...that can bring on more pain and discomfort. I know..easier said than done.
Breathe deep...stay warm....laugh ofen...and try to relax. smirk2

Cheers,

Steph

Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
We had the temp change today in Oklahoma. 80 for a high on Wednesday. 38 for a high today. There is something inherently obscene about that mad. My feet are killing me, legs are killing me and hands hurt. Back isn't as bad, but I've not gone to bed yet. Had to work this holiday, but got in a good lunch before clocking in at 3pm. Going to crank up the electric blanket to warm the bed. yes

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i don't think the weather is what affects me, as two years in a row, my worst flares came on in august, no weather changes, no stress, just something cycling in my body.

with that said, a hot shower in the morning, hot bath at night, sitting in the recliner with my heating pad on, all staples much of the year, especially in the cold months. have my eye on the heating mattress pad, someone here, i think bridget, swore by it. and also looking at heating seat for the car.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
K
kevin_A
Unregistered
kevin_A
Unregistered
K
I tend to suffer the most in the hot weather cold doesn't have much affect on my pain.But I'm old and well fused so that probably makes a difference. laugh2

Kevin

Sergeant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Steph
And try not to stress too much over holidays...

Steph, you don't know my mother in law. Ha! By definition, our holidays are stressful. smirk

~ Holly
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
I wonder if it is the drop itself (the pressure change) that is the culprit. Rumble seems to be feeling my pain too (literally) and we're close neighbors, as far as states go.

During our last hurricane (Ike), I honestly thought I was never going to walk again. My little brother (undiagnosed, but I think he has AS too) was in bad shape as well.

But the cold also seems to seep into my joints. The crowbar pain I've mentioned before. Kevin, maybe you don't feel it so much in the winter because your joints are already fused? Nowhere for the evil cold to seep into?

Anyone else here permanently damaged their skin with a heating pad? My back is permo-blotched now. I can't help it -- the heating pad is my hero. I've got several scattered throughout the house.

Thanks for listening and for the help. Yesterday was pretty bad. Today is probably going to be a doozie. Could be worse -- could be out there shopping with all of the Black Friday shoppers. Insane.

~ Holly
Originally Posted By: hollyz143
Anyone else here permanently damaged their skin with a heating pad? My back is permo-blotched now. I can't help it -- the heating pad is my hero. I've got several scattered throughout the house.

one winter i used the heating pad on my back so much and so high that my skin was all blotchy. worried one of my docs but it actually went away.

the worry i think my doc had was damaging the skin so i couldn't feel as well, easier for a serious burn. but i never lost sensation so figured i was ok, just cosmetically ugly for awhile.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!