Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#447164 07/14/11 03:52 AM
Lieutenant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Lieutenant_AS_Kicker
Someone called my dad and told him to call me IMMEDIATELY and get me tested for H. Pylori, saying it can cause not only ulcers and gastritis (which I have) but also arthritis, and she believes my AS may be CURED by taking anti- H.P. meds.

Anybody heard of this?

Tnx,
Bridget

"Laughter is the shortest distance between two people." -Victor Borge
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
I never heard of it but I found this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001276/

John
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Hi Bridget

I looked into the H. Pylori connection last year. This old thread has most of the info on it - https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthre...true#Post385549 . The last post in the thread has a link to a study which showed increased H Pylori prevalence in spondy's.

This post has some info about the possible Klebsiella connection - https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=399577#Post399594

Another possible mechanism could involve reduced stomach acidity --> reduced bile secretion --> reduced endotoxin neutralisation in the gut as bile secretion is triggered by stomach acidity and bile neutralises bacterial endotoxin in the gut.

I got quite excited about it at the time but then got tested for it and it turns out I didn't have it! If you do have it then it is plausible that getting rid of it could result in health improvements. Good luck with it.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
since i have gastritis and it was the first major thing i had, h. pylori was one of the first things i was tested for. a few months after i developed the gastritis, NIH came out with a statement that most ulcers were caused by either h. pylori or nsaids. so it was all very new back then. but since then the doctors who discovered the connection have won a nobel prize for their discoveries so now it is well accepted.

i did not / do not have it.

back then, 1993, the only way it could really be tested for was by a biopsy of stomach tissue.

but because false negatives were common, my husband (with really bad GERD) and i went on the triple antibiotic cocktail for two weeks: flagyl, peto (bismuth sulfate), some other antibiotic, and an acid inhibitor (prilosec). the flagyl was nasty! but i stuck with it, though had to cut my dose in half cause the flagyl was causing nerve damage at the normal dose.

but when it was all over, still had the gastritis. then found out that gastritis / ulcers / stomach cancer runs in my family (a great grandfather died from stomach cancer, an aunt died from a bleeding ulcer, grandmother had ulcers, mother had ulcers); i think i've "only" had gastritis because 1) i've been on prilosec every day since 1993 (i know of the potential health risks thanks to molly here, but for me, i can't live without it) and 2) a little gastritis (as seen by upper endoscopies) translates into severe pain so i can nip it in the bud early with mylanta for a few weeks til it settles.

and my husband still has really bad GERD as that runs in his family.

and yes, i think i've heard something about h. pylori and arthritis.

anyway, now days its very easy to test for. no more stomach biopsies are necessary. it can be detected through blood work or a breath test, very easy now. i'd have to read up to see which test gives the fewest false negatives and false positives.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/helicobacter-pylori-tests

i'd say it certainly wouldn't hurt to get tested for h. pylori. and if you are found to be positive, supposedly its a fairly short course of an antibiotic cocktail, though that may have changed a bit over the years as well, as its been almost 20 years since we've been through it.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
D
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
OH WOW IM GLAD I COME ACROSS THIS... l had HPylori a few years back and if l remember right it wasnt long at all afterwards when my problems started going down hill! Havnt time to read this full thread yet but lm going to.... undiagnosed but going through the motions until the time is right ( live in Uk sigh ) thank you whoever posted this xxx

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Had an ulcer from that one. I was treated and negative now. Ulcer went away. No impact on AS though

Last edited by drizzit; 07/14/11 02:15 PM.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
drizzit #447191 07/14/11 02:37 PM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
I'm HP positive - as the last test made in feb shows.

The problem is that you can be HP positive even after a couple of years after you've had it as far as i know.

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
Alinus #447197 07/14/11 04:08 PM
hi,

how were you tested? if by antibodies, then yes, will show positive whether you have it, or had it. however, looks like some of the other tests can determine had vs have. if you really want to know if its gone after treatment, maybe another of those tests?

sue

Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
chiro
walk, bike
Sue22 #447327 07/16/11 07:43 PM
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
This is kinda interesting. Shug was plagued with gastritis, oesophagitis, acid reflux for years, so bad he ended up in hospital several times, unfortunately for him it was foreign hospitals and nothing was ever done. He lived like this for years until we were in Germany and he had another gastroscopy and was found to have H.Pylori, he was treated but the problems still remained, he also had a hiatus hernia so ended up with a nissens fundoplication. It was upon wakening from his anaesthetic that the first thing Shug complained about was low back pain...and the rest is history!

Take care
shugswife #447336 07/16/11 11:44 PM
my current rhuemy thinks that the GI stuff comes first, leads to leaky gut or something like that, and then the arthritis, and the fact that i had the gastritis and IBS for 5-6 years before the arthritis stuff fits that theory for me.

sue

chiro
walk, bike
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 59 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,367,333 hmmm
1,323,026 OMG!!!!
711,688 PARTY TIME!