Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
lar84 #459936 01/10/12 11:23 PM
J
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
J
Why does white wine work and not red? I'm a big fan of red wine but if it has to be white it sure beats a pill. crazy

joannesas #459945 01/11/12 12:16 AM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Yes I would like to know the difference..but it just might be worth a try.

Speak kindly, Live simply, Care deeply, Love generously, and BLAH, HA, HA, LOUDLY! every chance you get.

Chameleon #459995 01/11/12 05:15 PM
Active_Member
Active_Member
"Wine, particularly white wine, the fermentation expert discovered, kills E. coli, salmonella and other potentially deadly bacteria in the stomach, or at least in the model stomach he created in his lab."

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/oct/24/business/fi-wine24

Not an expert but certain acids created during the fermentation of the green skinned grape is capable of killing some bacteria. I don't feel any better when i drink chardonney.

I drink garlic and lemon mix before breakfast (Nasty i know) but i feel better throughout the day.

Chameleon #460080 01/12/12 12:39 PM
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
You know... before my diagnosis this summer my bp was going up at times, and it scared me. So, I started taking at least one lemon every day, and my bp came back to a consistent normal. So much so that I take lemon occasionally, but nowhere near as often as I was.

It just occurred to me reading your post, that I felt a lot better overall in that time. Time to add back my daily lemon!

I'm still giving the white wine a shot though! LOL

Iritis first diagnosed in 1991, presently recurrent and steroid resistant.
Tested HLA B27 positive in 1996.
AS diagnosed October of 2011.

Putting most of my eggs in the NSD and exercise basket, using only TENS, massage, heat and ice, and NSAIDS (sparingly) for pain. Drops for iritis as flare necessitates. Looking back I feel I would have been diagnosed with AS years ago, if I had found a rheumy earlier than 2011.
SJLC #473499 07/17/12 12:27 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Originally Posted By: SJLC
My own informal observations: high starch is really terrible (my worst flares have always been holiday season after the high-starch treats started), low starch was not noticeably better than medium starch (inflammation may have been lower, but not enough that I could feel it), and very-very-low starch (most people would say "no starch" but I'm picky) reduces inflammation enough that I am normally pain-free without resorting to NSAID.

I have the same experience. Even a smallish amount of pain is enough to bring on pain for several days. However rice was fairly well tolerated in comparison to other starches.. but still caused problems just the same.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
joannesas #473500 07/17/12 12:38 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Originally Posted By: joannesas
Why does white wine work and not red? I'm a big fan of red wine but if it has to be white it sure beats a pill. crazy

The researchers say it is a specific compound in Chardonnay that kills a range of microbes including Klebsiella P. It isn't the alcohol itself but rather some other byproduct of fermentation..the unfermented grapes were not effective. They said that they worked out that the effective compound was in the acidic fraction of the Chardonnay, and this is dominated by Malic Acid and Tartaric Acid.

You can read a news item about it here
http://newsarchive.asm.org/sep02/topic5.asp

I have used tartaric acid with good results for pain when peeing (maybe an infection, I'm not sure). I know la monty found malic acid to be very helpful for energy - it is part of our metabolic cycle. But who knows it could be another minor compound in the acid fraction, and there could perhaps be dozens or even hundreds of compounds that they would need to check out.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 41 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,181,146 hmmm
1,239,845 OMG!!!!
644,924 PARTY TIME!