Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
When you're experiencing a really bad flare up, do you guys find it beneficial to exercise everyday (walk,swim,stretch) even though it is VERY painful, or to just stay rested and lie down as much possible? Thanks for any thoughts!

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
it depends. if its attacking my SI joint, i often can not move, so its really a mute point. if its affecting my neck more, then walking is actually advantageous. i guess i listen to my body, and if the exercise seems to help, i do it. but if the exercise seems to make things worse, i pamper myself, and don't push it.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I've always found it helpful to stay active when I'm flaring. But honestly, it's so subjective with flares. We've all been at that point during a flare where you just can't do anything. If that's then maybe a nice hot sauna or hot tub will help. But whenever possible I've found that moving around doing something is better for me than just sitting or laying around doing nothing at all.

Get busy living! www.sickopportunity.com
Bob Connors

Me and my girls
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I wouldn't do any viogorous exercise or anything if in a lot of pain. WOuldn't even go for a long walk. I found pushing too hard could be just as bad as doing nothing.

I also would not just rest as much as possible.. I would rest a bit more than usual and keep myself getting on my feet to move around a bit and do simple stretches or exercise without any resistance for short windows.

L-R: Julianna, Jamie, Diane and Tonimarie

stevec-they also serve who stand and wait
Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
I cut back some and do what I can to ease the exercise pain, such as taking a hot shower before exercising, working out in a warm room, avoiding any jarring movements, starting slower than usual, and playing some loud rock (to mask the screaming in my head). I will also take extra NSAIDs as needed.

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.
Hey there,

Well... I guess everyones definition of a "flare" may be different. When I was in a "flare" all expercise was out.. only possible was some light stretching. I was typically in too much pain.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
Keeping changing position, and moving around the house as much as possible - not full on exercise - works best. Sometimes its hard to get up and move about, but I just know that the longer I stay still the worse it gets. Its really hard if I'm also tired because I do just want to rest up, but that just makes things worse for me.

New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
Thanks for the responses. I think you're right, a little bit of movement, no matter how painful is helpful. Yesterday, I spent the whole day off my feet and I could not sleep at all last night. My legs and feet kept twitching, I think it was some sort of restless leg syndrome from the inactivity.

S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Hi,

when I had my first major flare up I was unable to move with incredible pain. Luckily I was in Valencia Spain near a health club that had a hot pool and a cold plunge pool. I would sit and stretch in the hot pool until very hot, and then sit in the cold pool for as long as I could physically handle it. At first the cold pool was for 10 seconds but after a few days i was in there for 2 mins (against the advice of the health club supervisors.

At the time I was on normal pain killers (panadol) which did very little and the only relief was the contrasting water temperatures. The cold was best as I generally lept out of there.

I should think it is different for everybody but the benefit to me was remarkable. I would like to find the same in Perth Australia.

The NSD, yoga, and increasing amounts of gym exrcise are helping enormously!

Good luck with it all.

naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Thanks, Scott! So glad you got relief and that you are feeling better. Are you doing yoga in a class or at home? I do a little yoga at home. I kept having problems with classes because I would feel worse afterwards. The floors were too hard and the class level was too difficult. I love yoga, though, so am considering doing another search for a class.
Best wishes,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella