Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
I think Steve's comment about sleeping position was an excellent point. Most of us spend about a third of our day in bed, quite significant. If I think back, my habit prior to being diagnosed was to go to sleep on my side, but just about always woke up flat on my back. So probably most of the time I was on my back, which fits with certain complaints about people being kept up by my snoring. Now I just go to sleep on my back straight off, and my beloved roommate gets to wear ear plugs...

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
interesting, regarding sleep position.

for the first 35 years of my life i slept on my left side. issues with my left upper back and shoulder forced me onto my right. at age 37, my SI joint forced me onto my back with a thin feather pillow to cradle my neck (so as not to push my head forward). i've remained flat on my back since then.

i have bone spurs on the left side of my neck. thought why the left? thought maybe it was from when as a passenger, we were rear-ended when another car hydroplaned. still could be that.

but why the left? maybe cause that's the side i slept on and then my head wasn't perfectly in alignment with my spine?

never thought about that before.

anyone have any thoughts on that possibility? anything to it? or just coincidence?

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Pea Offline
Captain_AS_Kicker
Captain_AS_Kicker
I heard that sleeping on your stomach was the best position to sleep. I leaned over for years working so my neck and upper back are a bit might bent. I worked like that all day long for many years. I should be more bent but I'm not sure what kept me from being more bent.

Pea
Diagnosed with A.S. 29 year's ago.
Diagnosed with Fibro 10 year's ago.
Remicade, Intrathecal Pain Pump 2013
S
seb Offline OP
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
Wow I never thought about the impact that sleeping on your back may have on posture. It is definitely worth a try if there is merit in the theory it will help keep straight. It's definitely uncomfortable for myself, but its an easy decision to try an adapt to this style.

seb,

i spent the first 35 years of my life sleeping on my left side.

had to switch to the right when my left neck and upper back became problematic.
that was hard at first, but got used to it.

then about 2 years later, my SI joint inflammation started. the only comfortable position for it was on my back. that was SO hard at first. but eventually it became habit and is fine today.

so, habits can be formed, just takes a little bit of time.

sue

Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
chiro
walk, bike
C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
Yes, I think a lot of us would say that getting used to sleeping on your back is hard. One thing to be very careful of is pillow use - if you have a pillow under your head that tilts your neck upwards, then that is going to cause problems. I use one of those squishy little pillows filled with microbeads (you can buy them either as a crescent shape or a roll) to just give a wee bit of support under the back of my neck and fill the gap between where the back of my head touches and my shoulders touch. I also find I need a pillow under my knees. I'm not 100% sure if this is a good idea or not, but would be something to ask a physiotherapist.

The other thing to be aware of is having a good mattress (firm generally, but with a nice cushioned top). If you have an old saggy one, then sleeping on your back is probably not going to help and could cause more problems.

yes, i agree with cemc.

when i first started sleeping on my back, i had a terrible time with my neck. then fell asleep one night without my pillows and things felt so much better.

bought very soft flat feather pillows for me and hubby. they don't prop the head up at all. just a soft cushion for the head and gently cradle the neck. they are perfect!

when i travel, i put one in my suitcase; i'd sleep with nothing else at this point!

as for the pillows under the legs; my physiatrists and PTs always recommended, but i found when my knees were too bent that that gave me hamstring tendonitis at the entheses behind the knees. now i just put them so my legs are kinda elevated slightly to give my pelvis a tilt and that seems to be the most comfortable for me.

sue

chiro
walk, bike
Active_Member
Active_Member
I am mostly a weekend warrior when it comes to working out but If Doctors swear by exercising and doing proper stretches everyday then i am going to take them at face value.

I do my breathing and basic stretching exercising multiple times throughout the day. Even when you are sitting at your desk at work or just driving you can accomplish these. I made walking with my family a hobby. It keeps them and me healthy and loose. It's a low impact exercise so it's good for RA and AS folks. Swimming is better but it requires me to go to the gym frown

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM