Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hanna Offline OP
OP Offline
I started the no starch diet last year. It made a difference for me, but after some experimenting and reading, I found out that starch is not my main problem. I think this diseases, and many other diseases, has more to do with lack of enzymes or dysbiosis in the gut, which causes a leaky gut when the food we eat is not properly broken down. I believe for example gluten and processed/unnatural foods destroy my intestines, causing bacterias and food proteins to leak into my blood. Avoiding starch is also helpful, but I don't think it is the main issue. I now focus on healing the gut, taking enzymes or eating enzyme rich foods, for example pineapple and papaya with protease, with each meal. I think the best thing woiuld be to eat a raw, organic paleo diet (without grains and at least cow's milk), but I haven't gotten there yet.

Has anyone else here reached a similar conclusion?

First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
While everyone is different, I completely agree with you that the gut needs healing and we should avoid gluten (since the processing & potency of gluten has changed since biblical times). Depending on the severity of the auto-immune disease, I believe some people have to take more drastic measures than others. Some do NSD, LSD, Vegan, Paleo, etc. depending on what makes them better.

For me, I can't live without lots of protein (tried raw & mostly vegan for 2 months and lost too much weight & muscle mass). So I'm currently building my muscle mass with lots of meat - all much more difficult to process. But I still do Digest Gold Digestive Enzymes at least twice a day to help balance this out.

One thing I've done is take in-depth testing of my body's reaction to foods and vitamin deficiencies. IMO everyone should be doing this as it gives them a big leap into understanding what their body can/cannot handle.

My Autoimmune Blog - Ups & Downs with NSD & SCD, the NEED for Meat and STARCHES, and the Effects of Getting Off Enbrel (biologic) and Going on Humira: http://100percenthealth.us/
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
I am right there with you. I couldn't be happier with a mostly raw vegan paleo diet. I also like to eat some fish/seafood, but that is the only food I eat that isn't plant based. I am not against eating grass fed beef, but only do it on rare occasions for now, as my body has a hard time diegesting it. I also traded in honey and sweeteners and now use medjool dates and feel so much better for it.

I drink tons of fresh fruit/green juices. Lots of fruit/green smoothies. I am currently hooked on spiralized zucchini pasta with nut based pestos, raw veggie wraps with thai or fajita style sauces, raw flaxseed based cinnamon/vanilla rolls, raw nut/date based cookies, raw hazelnut or almond milk shakes, salads, raw carrot crackers & cerely sticks with zucchini hummus, whole fruit for snacks, etc.

One of the things I noticed right away about eating raw is the food is so much easier to digest because it's "living", meaning all the enzymes are still entact and the natural enzymes in the raw food actually work with your stomach/gut to break down the food. Also, raw fruits, veggies, nuts & seeds(make sure to sprout most nuts & some seeds by soaking them for 8 hours before consuming) are all so nutrient dense & full of vitamins, proteins & good fats.

I also include seaweeds, nutrional yeast, bee pollen, hemp seeds, coconut oil, coconut meat, fermented kefir water, kombucha, fermented kraut/pickles, raw cacao.

Best of Luck & Health!!
-Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
F
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
F
I'm finding this to possibly be a key in my gut healing as well. I started doing LSD about 10 months ago and since then my pain has certainly decreased. I took a food sensitivities test last week and my dietician recommended taking these digestive enzymes (digest gold and inflazyme). Since adding them in my pain has gone done even more so I'm thinking that I've been having a tough time digesting all this protein.

Thanks for starting this topic as it's something I've wondered about too and I think it could be an important part of all this.

@Hanna, I'm curious what research and reading you did that lead you down this path?

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Speaking of precious enzymes, I've also learned that its best not to drink too much water during meals, maybe most people already know this? I try not to drink water 20 minutes before a meal until 40 minutes after a meal to give my stomach and the enzymes time to work their magic. Sure I may take a few small sips of water, tea or even wine with a meal, but I make sure not to down a large glass (or glasses) of ice water which can drown out my stomach acids & enzymes when they are working their hardest.

I think this whole method of not drinking water during meals works best when a diet has plenty of fruits & veggies which are so full of water that they help hydrate the body most effectively anyway. So a big fresh salad, veggie wraps, veggie based pasta, or fresh fruit will most likely be more hydrating than a glass of water.

Another saying I like to remind myself of when eating is, "Chew your juices and drink your food" basically means drink your juices/smoothies slow, "chew" them to get your digestive juices flowing, and then chew your foods so well that they are very broken down before heading to your tummy. It is so easy to forget the very important first step of digestion is in the mouth.

-Andrea

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
K
New_Member
New_Member
K
Leaky gut is more caused by lack of butyric acid than lack of enzymes. Try adding in indestible fibers into your diet (resistant starch, NOT SIMPLE STARCH, or long chain inulins)

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,898 hmmm