Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#483180 02/02/13 07:20 PM
D
Dru Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
D
I am kind of confused by chocolate on a NSD. It seems like a lot of people eat it, but i am confused by the labels on the back of all the chocolate I have read. All of the carbs do not fall under sugar and fiber. Sometimes there are quite a few carbs not accounted for. So is there starch in Chocolate? (i'm not worried about the dairy/lactose content) just if chocolate does or does not contain starch

Dru #483192 02/02/13 09:09 PM
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Hi Dru,

I eat raw organic homemade chocolate every day.

I am pretty senstive to starchy stuff, and can always feel it the next day when I eat something too starchy. I make my own chocolates using raw cacao powder, raw cacao butter, and coconut sugar. They are awesome. The don't seem at all starchy either, and don't set off any AS or gut issues.

I do not like the feeling I get when I eat store bought chocolates though, the refined sugar really sets me off, and it makes me feel a crawling sensation in my bones. It is also highly addictive, where I find myself over indulging. But when I make my own, a little goes a long way, and there are no "self control" issues, it really satisfies.

I also add raw cacao powder to my morning smoothie, with homemade almond or hazelnut milk, or sesame milk, and dates, and a little bit of maple syrup.

I tested my raw cacao powders with iodine, and they did not turn that dark. There is not one chocolate on the market that I can buy and enjoy fully, I really just LOVE the ones I make so much better! I also pretty much make "raw chocolate" for a living, as last night I taught a high end chocolate making class at a culinary school. If you need some chocolate or homemade "caramel" recipes free of refined sugars, just let me know!

xoxo

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
Dru #483195 02/02/13 09:19 PM
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Chocolate is low-starch, not no-starch. Just about everyone who says "NSD" really means "very low starch", less than your typical Low Starch Diet but not mathematically zero starch. There are trace amounts of starch even in blanched almonds, flax, and walnuts! Chocolate is more borderline so that even people who eat it mention that too much chocolate can exceed their tolerance and increase inflammation. However it can also be a big morale booster for people on a strict diet, so some consider it worth spending ones tiny "starch budget" on a piece of chocolate.

Dru #483196 02/02/13 09:22 PM
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Also what bettyrawker said about refined sugars can apply to starches, such that a tiny amount of corn-starch powder is more likely to cause trouble than the same amount of starch distributed among all the cocoa butter and fibre in chocolates.

Dru #483200 02/02/13 10:34 PM
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
I only use the dark chocolate as well. Milk Chocolate is not good for me

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
Dru #486291 03/28/13 12:28 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Not a problem for AS in my case either.

But I do have other issues with chocolate that most likely stem from the amount of sucrose in it. It very quickly starts to hurt when I pee. Then I have to take large amounts of Saw Palmetto to calm it down. Adding cream of tartar to drinks helps ease it a little too.

Second problem with chocolate is I get very badly fatigued if I eat too much. I think the fatigue is about a day or two after eating it.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!