Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#490959 06/29/13 12:46 AM
H
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
Just found you guys and am so happy about it. I have problems for years and just kept being sent to physio until I demanded my doctor to be tested for AS after much personal research by myself into my symptoms. I have now started getting all of the symptoms of Chron's, real bad stomach cramps and vomiting. I read these are very much connected by the bugs in your guts. I am just about to start a LSD diet or at least a NSD but struggling to find some of the ingredients in the amazingly creative recipes. So looking for any info from anybody in New Zealand. Also any info for anything in NZ would be very much appreciated.
Very very glad you are all out there sharing and caring
Shaun

hendrixreed #490960 06/29/13 01:29 AM
S
seb Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
Hey Shaun,

Welcome mate! There are a few of us kiwis around on these forums. You can get pretty great information on the diet in the diet section of this forum.

I generally cut out all wheat and most dairy products.. I still have natural greek yoghurt with no additives every morning. Some people can tolerate dairy but I don't think I tolerate it amazingly well. I still eat yoghurt every morning as it is much better for me than cereals and toast! I generally add raisons, cranberries, blueberries, sliced almonds and sometimes chopped apple (the problem is that apples are generally starchy in Nz due to the way they are stored). It makes a great breakfast though and is very filling. Another option is eggs and bacon for breakfast which I have occasionally. Make sure you buy the Beahive branded bacon as it has no starchy additives or anything. The Beahive ham is safe too.

The general rule of the diet is basically lots of fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts and whole foods. Cutting out as much of the processed food as possible is important.

Good luck!

hendrixreed #490961 06/29/13 01:31 AM
S
seb Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
I think this is where I got my coconut flour and coconut oil from (for the baking and cooking etc), although I haven't used it for quite a long time!

http://www.zenian.co.nz/

seb #490962 06/29/13 01:50 AM
H
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
Hi and many thanks for that
I have found some great food supply websites that I will add once I have gone through them

Cheers

Shaun

hendrixreed #490963 06/29/13 02:26 AM
S
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
S
Gidday Shaun from another Kiwi!

I eat low starch rather than no starch, so have mainly just eliminated grains, potato and rice, but I also look at the nutrition labels - it's amazing the difference between brands on some of the processed meat in particular but also things like dried apricots.

I'll look forward to finding out which websites work for you. So far I've stuck with fairly standard ingredients myself, partly because I don't want to add too much new to my temperamental digestive symptoms.

AS, IBS, reflux oesophagitis and dysphagia, PCOS/insulin resistance, asthma...
Currently managing my AS with humira, methotrexate, low starch diet and exercises. Also taking omeprazole, metformin etc.
hendrixreed #490964 06/29/13 02:39 AM
S
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
S
Seb - I just had a look at the Zenian website. Looks good. Did you try their coconut oil and if so which sort? I don't think I want the fermented one, but not sure which out of the others.

I see they offer free (just postage) samples of the coconut oil, which would be good as I don't know how I'd tolerate coconut products (don't like the taste of coconut and can't digest dessicated coconut at all.

AS, IBS, reflux oesophagitis and dysphagia, PCOS/insulin resistance, asthma...
Currently managing my AS with humira, methotrexate, low starch diet and exercises. Also taking omeprazole, metformin etc.
hendrixreed #490967 06/29/13 04:54 AM
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
Hi Shaun

Welcome to the kickas NZ crew wink
I lived in Dunedin for a few years, now living in Wanaka.
Good luck with your journey into experimenting with diet. I hope it can help get the gut issues and AS under control.

hendrixreed #490971 06/29/13 06:01 AM
H
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
H
Thanks all and nice to meet you. Look forward to sharing info with you all

jroc #490975 06/29/13 10:35 AM
S
seb Offline
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Sergeant_AS_Kicker
S
Originally Posted By: jroc
Hi Shaun

Welcome to the kickas NZ crew wink
I lived in Dunedin for a few years, now living in Wanaka.
Good luck with your journey into experimenting with diet. I hope it can help get the gut issues and AS under control.

Wow, never knew you were from there Jroc. I love Wanaka, one of my favourtie places in this country, it's such a beautiful town. It's awesome if you're into skiing as well (which I am!).

Hendrix - To be honest I can't actually remember exactly what type of coconut oil I bought. I haven't used any for over a year now but I think it was the raw fully fermented 500ml type. If you're not into the fermented stuff, the Philippine coconut oil is unfermented. Just a heads up though - I absolutely hated the taste of coconut oil. But with that being said, if you can stand the taste, the health benefits no doubt should compensate for this.

hendrixreed #490978 06/29/13 07:03 PM
stranger
stranger
hendrixreed: good luck on the NSD/LSD. I had good results in 2004, and have been able to return to a normal diet since about 2006. Results vary, but when they're good, they can be VERY good.

jroc: I spent a week canyoning in Wanaka in March 2012. Fantastic place and routes. I was with with Jethro Robinson, and Alain (French guy) and his girlfriend Annette. Any chance you know of them?

“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourself out. Be as I am a reluctant enthusiast…a part time crusader, a halfhearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it… while you can. While it is still there. – Edward Abbey
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 41 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,181,146 hmmm
1,239,845 OMG!!!!
644,924 PARTY TIME!