Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#492341 07/28/13 03:47 AM
drizzit Offline OP
Silver_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker
I see no difference between LSD and NSD. I feel better but still need the same regular treatment on both. 3 years of NSD (this round and 2 years on a prior round), several 3 day apple only fasts, 3 Water only 3 day fasts, and a couple of rounds of antibiotics all to no avail and no additional benefit over LSD. Checked for heavy metals and doing Nystatin for any possible candida. Not much left to try frankly. Oh dropped 40 pounds and took by BMI to 18 at one point. I have almost no fat on my body now.

I have added White Rice, beans, and peas back to my diet as the only starch source. No difference of any kind has been noticed and eating with friends is so much easier.

Learned my guy hates lactose and diary period and I don't do well on gluten either. It was indeed a learning experience and I have a pretty healthy gut now because of it and all gut issues have gone away. It was a good thing and taught me how to eat healthy.

Guess it is LSD for life

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
Sounds like a plan. I hope it all works out well for you.

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.
N
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
N
Please tell something more about Your AS symptoms before You started diet, because You didn' say anything to be compared with. It is obvious You are not on LSD nor NSD in this moment as you consume white rice, beans and peas.

drizzit Offline OP
Silver_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: nenadu73
Please tell something more about Your AS symptoms before You started diet, because You didn' say anything to be compared with. It is obvious You are not on LSD nor NSD in this moment as you consume white rice, beans and peas.

actually I am on a LSD. Your definition is a bit different then ebringers it seems. Low Starch does not mean no starch and I totally avoid anything refined and all grains but white rice. I don't eat much rice maybe one or two meals a month when out with friends. Beans are Peas fit the definition of low Starch as it was originally conceived. I posted long ago when I started this journey but to recap.

I have had AS for over 25 years now. I had severe foot pain and knee swelling, chronic iritis and restricted chest expansion when I first tried 2 years of strict NSD. Chest freed up and feet got better. Iritis lessened but continued and there was no change to knee swelling and pain. Stayed that way for over a year and I dropped 40 pounds. Some of my friends though I had cancer. CRP was cut in half but stayed too high and so I went on a TNF drug and back on LSD.

Tried NSD again with hopes of getting off TNF drug. Very similar results. I gave it 3 years this time along with fasting and antibiotic trials. TNF drug lasts a lot longer with starch restricted diet though so I take less and that makes it worth it along with my gut feeling great now.

Out of ideas or reasons to stay on NSD when there is so little benefit after 3 years. LSD gives me the same benefit.

Perhaps it is the resistive colonies that John talks about that are isolated now from the digestive track or it simply did not work for me. Who knows I hve had AS for a long time.

For me it will always be a mix of standard treatments and diet it appears

Last edited by drizzit; 07/28/13 05:04 PM.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
N
naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Diamond_AS_Kicker
N
Way to go, drizzit, for figuring out what works for YOU. That rocks and thanks for sharing that!

Thanks for update Steve

Wishing you many good years with Low Starch.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Just curious, what about potatoes? Carol Sinclair's book suggests sweet potatoes and regular potatoes are more tolerated than beans. In her book beans fall into the list of prime foods to cut out along with bread and pasta.

N
naj Offline
Diamond_AS_Kicker
Diamond_AS_Kicker
N
Hi Didier, for me that's definitely true. And for people with IBS who follow a low FODMAPS diet, legumes are not recommended while potatoes are considered more easily tolerated by sensitive guts. Not the same thing, I know, but I find it very interesting when things overlap like that.

drizzit Offline OP
Silver_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Didier
Just curious, what about potatoes? Carol Sinclair's book suggests sweet potatoes and regular potatoes are more tolerated than beans. In her book beans fall into the list of prime foods to cut out along with bread and pasta.

I eat mostly green beans and they are very low starch. Potatoes have been something I avoid as I love french fries and hash browns and would eat way too much of the stuff if I ever turned on the spigot

Oliver Wendell Holmes
V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Drizzit,
Do you go into a flare when you take antibiotcs? I took them a year ago and I flared big time. My rheumy said most of his patients flare when on antibiotics, so I was just wondering if you experienced more pain.

Take care

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 41 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,181,146 hmmm
1,239,845 OMG!!!!