Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kell Offline OP
Lurker
OP Offline
Lurker
K
Has anyone out there had this surgery using the direct anterior approach? It is supposed to be smaller incision/quicker healing...My husband has been diagnosed with AS for 23 years now and has now been told there is no cartilage left in his hips / bone on bone. He has been on Humira for nearly 2 years now. I am sure it helps, but he continues to try and stay active and lives with horrible pain daily. I can only think hip replacements are coming very soon. I just wanted to know if anyone has had good results of this surgery over the typical lateral total hip replacement. Thanks.

This sounds like the less intrusive version of hip replacement that my mom just had. I can't say for sure if her surgery was called "direct anterior approach," but her incision was closer to the back of her leg/buttock, much smaller than the incision from standard hip replacement, and did not cut through any major leg muscles, which the old method did. It was a miraculous surgery for her--she was only in the hospital for two nights, she experienced VERY minimal pain, she only had to use a walker or cane for a couple weeks before walking on her own, handled all physical therapy with zero problems, and was completely back to her old self within two months of her surgery date. Her doctor said she could be the poster child for the less intrusive version of the hip replacement and that her surgery went as well as any he had ever seen. He also told her that the fact that she was on a regular exercise regimen before her surgery and thus was in what he called "remarkably good shape" for a woman of 69 (my mom has exercised religiously for 20 or more years and looks like she is 50 years old, not almost 70; on more than one occasion, people have mistaken her for my wife or sister, not my mother!) absolutely made her surgery much, much easier for her and greatly eased her healing time.

All in all, it was amazing how easy her surgery was compared to the THR operations I had back in 1994 and 1996--like night and day in terms of incision size, pain levels, surgery time and type (she was under a spinal block and did not have to be intubated like I was), recovery time, and overall experience. She was absolutely thrilled with the outcome and would recommend the procedure to anyone.

Brad

J
New_Member
New_Member
J
I have had both hips replaced... from the side. No major issues
I had a neighbor who had difficulty with hers coming out of socket when she bent over........ she had the portiere approach.
Good you are asking and doing your research.

Last edited by John1234; 10/27/13 02:07 AM. Reason: wrong side. I meant back
J
New_Member
New_Member
J
BLANK

Last edited by John1234; 10/27/13 02:08 AM. Reason: duplicate
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hi Brad,

I hope someday your Mom stumbles across your post. What a wonderful post of complements for your Mother. I am glad she has done so well.

Also, I think..."Really! I am older than Brad's Mom!" LOL

I am already 70.

Hope you are doing well.

Blessings

Possi

RUN WHEN YOU CAN,
WALK IF YOU HAVE TO,
CRAWL IF YOU MUST,
JUST NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

"A FRIEND HEARS THE SONG IN YOUR HEART AND SINGS IT TO YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS."

"A FRIEND LOOKS THROUGH YOUR BROKEN FENCE TO ADMIRE YOUR FLOWERS."

That's really good news, Brad, and makes me want to check this option out as well before my hip replacements.

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
A chum of mine had the direct anterior approach - no pain, did not even have to use a cane afterwards. Seems to be the best approach to use.

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker

Louise

Happy to be a physio by day, not happy to be a Spondy 24/7! wink3
Ooohhh errr Louise. I remember that post now. Pretty orrible what can go wrong... My chum with the anterior approach is doing good, though she does have the leg on the *operated side **longer than the other - by about an inch.

My other chum who had the standard big incision approach has a shorter leg on the operated side, about 3/4". Sure do hope that I never ever have to have that op. Scary, too much 'can' go wrong.

Thanks Louise, another 'heads-up' !

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
T
Lurker
Lurker
T
I am 44 years old and just had both hips done via the Anterior Approach with MakoPlasty (a robot). I've had 5 major surgeries and both of these were by far the easiest to recover from. 1 micro fracture in left knee, acl and micro fracture in the right knee, hip pinning (broken hip repaired with pins) and finally these last two hip replacements.

Hip Replacement 1 - I was up walking 4 hours after surgery. I was released less than 24 hours after entering the OR. I used crutches to ease pain for 4 days, a cane for 2 and then was crutch free. I was walking a mile in just 8 days.

Hip Replacement 2 - 6 weeks later. Same deal but more pain because I had to have the screws removed which damages muscle.

With the anterior approach, they do not cut muscle. This results in very little swelling and pain. Additionally, very few precautions post surgery for dislocation.

All in all, I am very happy with this approach. I am now about 5 weeks post hip #2 and I am cleared for water, walking, riding a bike, etc. I haven't felt this good in 12 years!

Last edited by TheKeyster; 02/28/14 12:40 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  fyrfytr187, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 43 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,180,889 hmmm
1,239,753 OMG!!!!