Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
C
C
Originally Posted By: CoatTails
I worry about the ingredients in that ORAC too. I didn't look into other brands but probably should have. For psyllium, I just ordered this one http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/now-whole_psyllium_husks_certified_organic.htm
as I'm not sure wether I should use the whole husk or blend it into powder? [cont.]

I'm not sure either, I'll look around tomorrow and let you know if I find anything!

I guess I stopped eating berries as it was just part of going down the "elimination diet rabbit hole" (I'm sure we've all gone through this process) that goes something like - take away food item (first item was starch as KickAS was the beginning of my diet journey, other examples: seeds, caffeine, fruit) don't see the results you want, read about some other item and why it's bad, remove it from diet.

I read a lot about people taking out sugar/fruit from their diet, so I just added it in. I don't recall ever seeing people having any amazing results from removing berries, and it's a food I love, seems like it might have health benefits, so I might add it back in.

Originally Posted By: dlee
Hi Copen,
This place (http://www.naturallyorganic.co.nz)appears to normally have the normal "Bobs Red Mill" that seems popular. But their website is showing "out of stock" so I got another one from "Farrow Fresh". They have a Japanese one (hope its not made from radioactive potatoes). There is not much English on it.
http://www.an-maeda.co.jp. Or "Maedakatakuriko". Says 100% Potato Starch.

Just a heads up - the early adopters of PS did a decent amount of investigation into Bob's Red Mill PS to make sure it really was RS - shredded, saturated, and collected from cold water as opposed to boiled or heated. If this brand used heat in the creation process it would remove its resistant qualities. Might be totally fine, but something to keep in mind.

D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Hmm, I think I need to get some Bob's Red Mill in that case to be sure. Even if the stuff I'm eating is not full resistant starch, then I guess its still encouraging that I seem to be tolerating carbs from starch sources.

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
C
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
C
Hopefully adding berries doesn't cause any ill effects. I know what your saying about the never ending food intolerance hole. There are sooooo many people that have sooooo many food intolerances and it always makes me wonder wether the elimination of this or that will make a difference. That was part of the reason that got me stuck on Dr. Ayers' work. It would make sense that everyone's gut microbiome is different and that they can handle/not handle according to the different bacterial strains inhabiting the gut. How many of us with AS have completely different food intolerances.(with the exception of specific kinds of starch)
I really like that leangains site, Dlee. Makes a lot of sense to just stick with the basic exercises and a healthy diet. Adequate rest in between. If Phil Galfond and Richard Nikoley use and support his strategies, they'll be good enough for me. Funny that you mention dairy as I just only realized within the past couple months that I react horribly to full fat greek yogurt. I've been scared off all other dairy and similarly do coconut milk and cocnut cream instead.
I've tried fasts from bulletproofexecs recs. but they didn't seem to resonate well with me or make any difference. I only tried the 24 hr fast once per week for a few weeks. Do the fasts you follow help alleviate pain or are they more for body composition?

I'm confident that pstarch is not increasing my pain levels at this point. I'm going keep myself on 2 tbs until at least one week after I've added my pysllium, inulin fos and amazing grass. If I don't react poorly from those new items, then I'll kick it up to 3-4 tbs. I'll be picking up my orders in the next few days.

C
C
I don't even know if I'm intolerant to them, I just eliminated them to see if it would help haha. I've been doing intermittent fasting for a couple months now basically every day - just eat one big meal at dinner. Didn't know much of a difference in anything except for a marked decrease in hunger/need to eat throughout the day as time went on.

I ordered this for ORACs https://www.douglaslabs.com/product_item.cfm?litm=57402-240X

Dropping down to 3 tbsp of PS/day seems to make my stomach happier.

C
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
C
I know you've been doing a ton of work to better your health and gut, Koopa. I think and hope that your gut will be better and more accepting of foods that may have once been offensive. I know that both of the brands of ORACs we've purchased have quite a few ingreds I would've been really scared of a few weeks ago but n=1, right?
I'm pretty thin and can't afford to lose any weight. I've noticed on multiple exercise sites that I can avoid muscle/weight loss in fasting periods by supplementing with BCAA's. I was doing that for a while, worked really well, body-composition-wise, but found out that they were keeping me in constant flares. I try to follow the paleo approach rec of 3 big meals plus one snack in between. Again, I'm not really sure if it specifically hurts or helps but it looked at the time like the easiest approach of the ones I'd looked over.

I've added about 300-500mg, once daily of magnesium citrate(i dion't think it's the ideal form but it's what I have) for the last few days. I say that bcuz I'm not sure if it's the Mag that's helping or the pstarch routine kicking in but I feel great! I'm getting deep, rested sleeps. 7-10 hrs straight. I was only sleeping max 6 hrs before waking due to pain for the past couple months. I don't think my enbrel is working anymore as it seems any time I slip on my health regimen, I flare. Maybe it would hurt more? I'm scared to drop it. My dreams have been more vivid than they have been for years.(meant to be a sign of RS working and I think means that I'm reaching a deeper sleep state?) I have gone from a BM once every three days, to one or two bristol 4's per day. One negative is that my gassiness hasn't subsided at all. The last two or three days have been virtually pain free as well. I've been attempting to hone in on suitable levels and durations of various exercises and stretching. I'm trying to routinely manage my levels of stress. Tons of walking, slowly riding my bike for groceries etc.

I hope I don't sound like I'm boasting or bragging. I'm just trying to let you know how I'm feeling, what's helped and see if any of these strategies effected anybody else for better or worse?

Glad to hear that your stomach is better! That's awesome that it's the pstarch and not the veggies! From all the articles we've been reading, 3 tbs of pstarch is roughly the desired eventual dosage anyways.

D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
I do the fasts mainly for health in general. I don't really find they have any beneficial effect on my levels of inflammation although I'm sure they have some impact.

I'm interested in the effects of "Autophagy" on the brain and the repair mechanisms that get fired up in the body upon not eating for any length of time. 24 hours is the most I do every once in a while and at about 17 - 18 hours into that, I notice sensations going on in my head. I can get a heavy dose of relaxation for an hour or so and I feel like I'm on a natural high. There's some endorphin's or something released for sure because it feels heavenly. I sometimes start laughing actually for no particular reason. Its a buzz. So if it makes me feel good....then it is good.

And now I've started skipping breakfast in the morning to prolong the normal repair mechanisms in the body for longer. No eating = body in cleaning out mode, eating = body in rebuilding mode. I read it takes about 6 hours of no eating before body starts to switch over to repair mechanism.

Not eating breakfast is also handy. I get up, shower, get a coffee in me and head out the door. Hit my work for the morning (another coffee at 10am) when I'm most mentally alert up until 1pm, eat lunch and then take it easy for the afternoon period. It works for me. Its a great time saver not having to make bacon and eggs each morning.

I ate cold Potatoes last night that I let sit for 24 hours in the fridge. No flare. I'm also regular now instead of once every 3 or 4 days as well so this Potato Starch is doing something. I've got hold of some natural SauerKraut as well. And I seemed to have gained a kilo this week which is consistent with bacteria growth I read on freetheanimal.

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Also my sleep is much improved! Low carb diets have given me sleep problems and I believe its due to elevated cortisol from low carb.

C
C
Got my Reds and Greens powder in the mail today, along with some psyllium husk and a re-up of my probiotics. I'm def a little nervy of all the ingredients, but none of them jump out at me as red flags, so worth a try!

I do the 1 meal a day too for autophagy, I've been having some chocolate in the morning with my PS and probiotics and sometimes some sauerkraut, so who knows where my body falls on the fasted vs nourished state with my current patterns. I do like the freedom of not feeling like I need to eat that frequently.

I've got an old bottle of magnesium citrate lying around. I feel like I sleep alright already, so I'll probably leave it on the shelf for now, but it is one of those supplements everyone seems to recommend!

Good to hear you guys are both doing well on this, hope it means we're onto something.

If anyone's gone through the other videos this one's got some decent stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLN8kyhFZs The second guy focuses specifically on crohns. A few mentions of autoimmune arthritis throughout it.

C
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
C
I believe I was in a similar situation cortisol-wise. When I was at the lowest of my low carb diet, I seemed to get stressed out over everything, really moody and not a fun guy to be around. Still no flare from the cooked and cooled potato? What kind of potato did you use?

Got my stuff too. I've been a bad test subject though and introduced new foods just before adding the ORAC, inulinFOS and pysllium. I've been flaring pretty good in the morning but it dissipates quickly. I've taken out the sweet potato(dumb move to eat it to begin with), shaved ham(with questionable ingreds.) and coconut butter(so delicious but taking out just cuz it's new) If the flare sticks, I'll know it's the ORAC or inulin.

MollyC put up a really interesting article about Borax and Boron;
https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=502383#Post502383

I usually take about 6mg of Ionic Boron every 1-2 weeks but am going to add that to my daily supplements and see how i feel. This is the kind I have. Anything I should know about the one I'm taking or does it look pretty good?
http://www.traceminerals.com/products/liquid-tablet-minerals/ionic-boron

Dr. BG and a commenter discuss its anti-fungal and other properties but I can't find the article.

It got my gears turning about anti-fungals/parasitics/microbials again. Does anyone know if it can do damage taking a few cycles of this(or similar) http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/GI-Micr...r-reviews-table
Even if we don't know definitively what fungi/parasites may be an issue? I've noticed Dragon Slayer mention the usage of most of the herbs in that mixture, just done separately.

D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Great info on Borax and Boron. I might give that a go as well if I can find some in NZ.

I have eaten more Potato since my first lot with no obvious effects. I tend to eat on the evenings after I do some weights. I fried up some potatoes (that had been previously cooled for 24 hours) in duck fat. Heaven. Slept like a baby. I'm eating some more tonight.

I am however still taking 100mg of dyclofenac each evening. I've decided to give this starch business a month to work its magic before I try to come off those again. But the level of inflammation does not appear to be increased. Even with Dyclofenac, I have previously been unable to control flares.

Yesterday I ate a green banana in a coconut milk smoothie. No issue except for some unbelievably toxic methane production about 7 hours later. Absolute filth and uncomfortable.

I think I made a mistake however. I also had my favorite Sunday afternoon treat yesterday which is a fresh natural green coconut, take the top off it, drink some of that sweet milk then pour in some white rum into the coconut. Afterwards, eat the soft flesh. Lovely, but you can't drink too many.

Coconut milk is a natural laxative and its also full of Potassium .....as are bananas. Might have overdone the Potassium yesterday. I was uncomfortable all night, my sleep was poor, and major clear out. I will try another green banana tomorrow. Tonight it Potato night smile

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!