Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Not sure on the Potato type but I'm sure it would be Agria.

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
C
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
C
I'm looking forward to trying some potatoes for myself. I remember reading Richard Nikolay saying what kind of potatoes he uses but I can't find it again. Not sure if it makes a difference but does anyone else know? I'm gonna wait a bit on the potato though. I just started adding dextrose to my diet so that all of the carbs I consume aren't so fructose heavy. Paleo approach advises against dextrose... but also against fructose over 20 grams per day. Without eating starchy foods, this tends to be difficult. I took two tbs of dextrose today, hopefully it doesn't cost me in the morn.
That coconut rum treat sounds pretty delicious.

I've been full of "toxic methane" for weeks now. It was kinda funny for the first week or so but it's so bad that even I run away from the smell and leave chem trails everywhere I go. I really hope it goes away soon. I keep reading that the addition of primal defense or other sbo's should calm down the gas but not for me. I always take my PS smoothie with all the fixings in the morning. I'll try tomorrow to take it all at night before bed to see if that makes a difference.

Have any of you had a breath test for SIBO? I'm really wondering if I have it or if it is a common theme amongst those of us with AS?
http://scdlifestyle.com/2014/01/everythi...ial-overgrowth/

I was fully unaware of the psyllium effect. Out on a long walk, 30 mins from home:( The only place around was an abortion clinic with protesters outside.(not kidding) I busted through the group of them and thanked my lucky stars the bathroom door was unlocked and unpatrolled.

You doing okay with your reds and greens CoopaTroopa? I stopped m ORAC powder for a few days to see if my morning flares go away.

D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
My Bob's Red Mill arrived today. Was quicker to buy it on Amazon because absolutely nobody in NZ seems to have any due to the supplier running out. I notice when I put it into the water it behaves in the same manner as the other Japanese stuff I've been using to date. (which is it sinks)

Last night I had a decent servicing of 24 hour cooled potatoes re fried in duck fat. Again I slept well. When I went to bed I had a higher than normal level of inflammation (this had started to creep up prior to eating Potatoes). This morning I awoke, and inflammation is barely noticeable and remained that way throughout the day.

I slept really well too whereas the previous night I slept bad....thanks to green banana and coconut milk combo. I'm starting to wonder if a good nights sleep is more relevant to my inflammation levels rather than the starch content of Potato.

Last edited by dlee; 04/15/14 12:55 AM.

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
C
C
So we are now n=4. I took my first dose of potato starch this morning (1Tbsp) along with soil-based probiotic and sauerkraut. Now a mildly apprehensive wait...

C
C
Nice copen! Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.

Short update on me mostly cause there's nothing to really update. (I'm very wary of false patterns emerging so I try and look at things over an extended period). Things seem to be holding fairly steady, no issues with the Reds and Greens powder over here.

Sticking with 3-3.5 tbsp of PS for now. I've been doing pretty high doses of the probiotics, so had to reorder those guys, the PS is cheap as hell, but the rest of these supplements add up. Haven't added in the psyllium as I figure I've got enough confounding variables to look at already. Though it would be nice to have some different sources of RS as who knows what microbes like what.

Last edited by coopatroopa; 04/15/14 03:12 AM.
C
C
Two days, two 1 Tbsp doses of potato starch and no increase in pain (from my baseline 1-2/10 so long as I remain starch free and low sugar). No tummy grumbles or increased gas...

C
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
C
Four for four. Us AS'ers are tolerant of unmodified potato starch! Nice to have you on board Copen.
My gas and smell of gas significantly decreased after I spread out my doses. I did one in the morn with smoothie, one in the afternoon with lunch but when I added the 3rd Tbs with dinner I noticed an instant uptick in gas and definitely smell. Maybe I need to keep it at 2 Tbs for a bit?
I like your idea of feeding our microbes different sources of RS. Nikolay adds three different kinds. It's impossible for me to argue with his logic.

I read this in Dr.BG's write up in reference to what is absent in those with autism.
"Prevotella is also one of the top 3 genera observed to line our GI tract from mouth to anus. Its primary role in the large intestines is digestion of human-indigestible plant polysaccharides from cellulose, xylan, glycan, resistant starch, pectin, plants, shoots/roots/tubers, fruits, legumes/lentils, seeds/nuts, and whole grains."
http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.ca/2013/09/my-n1-pre-and-post-microbiome-digestion.html
I'm intolerant to most of the items listed above. Anybody know where we can find that specific strain? Aside from termite guts?

I phoned my Doctor's office to get a requisition form for this test;
http://www.metametrix.com/files/test-menu/interpretive-guides/gi-effects-ig.pdf
No call back yesterday but I think it's about time I bite the bullet and find out what's actually going on in my gut. Once I get it done, I'll be more than happy to share my test results with whomever wants to have a peek. Might be a while though. Anybody else had one? The scdlifestyle clinicians claim to be able to detect SIBO through the same test. I assume if they can interpret the data somehow, then so can I/we. Finances are running thin and I'll be hoping it's worth it.
I have a cooked and cooled baked potato in the fridge. I'm gonna try it tonight or tmrw. Bought a lil bit of parboil rice and some black beans. Those will be next but only after I learn how to prepare them properly.
Have you tried another green banana Dlee?

C
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
C
I think I've skipped past these instructions a dozen times somehow;
http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.ca/2013/11/how-to-cure-sibo-small-intestinal-bowel_13.html
I clicked on the picture to the right of the list of RS foods. I wonder if I'll be more tolerant to some and less to others? Any experiences with these foods after soaking them?

D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Yes I did try another green banana. One last night (I was greedy, I had Potato with my dinner and green banana in my pre bedtime supper along with 4 tablespoons of PS throughout the day - 2 with lunch, 2 pre dinner) and one green banana the night before as well.

Since the fowl gas that went on all night Sunday, and total clearout Monday morning, I have not had a repeat of that. Gas is still there but I'd say 85% less of it.

I don't know....maybe I had some bacteria in my gut that attached to that first banana and got taken into the large intestine and cleared out, or maybe it was just a potent mix of natural coconut water and green banana. I think it was probably that because I've had the same experience drinking too much coconut water before. Possibly too much Potassium I'm guessing.

My inflammation does not seem to be affected by eating Potato's and Green Bananas. However I caution I could be masking it with my usual dose of Dyclofenac (100mg once per day). After a month of RS, I'm going to take Dyclofenac away again.

I am increasing weight. I dont' think it is fat though. 4 weeks ago I was 86kgs. I'm now 90 kgs. I suspect a combination of gut bacteria growth, and being able to do new exercises thanks to buying some equipment (chin-ups) in combination with post workout starch (potatoes) is providing muscle growth benefits.

As far as regular BM goes.....there is less fecal matter and it is far more regular (usually once per day) and its easy. First time in 2 years I have not to worry about shitting bricks or forcing one out after 3 - 5 days of nothing. Its just a huge relief mentally and literally and that alone is a huge benefit that RS has fixed.

I wonder if less fecal matter is just because its moving rather than being compacted up and therefore more regular, or whether more bacteria = more digestion of what you eat so less wastage. Maybe a bit of both.

Last edited by dlee; 04/16/14 08:22 PM.

C
C
Two articles of potential interest (and I think they sort of go hand in hand):
http://www.wired.com/2014/04/hadza-hunter-gatherer-gut-microbiome/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140416133157.htm

Will be interested to hear about the GI Effects results. I haven't had that done, but I did have a CDSA 2.0 done last August. You can see the results (and Dr's comments on it) https://www.mediafire.com/?z3vzqjmcgu941b1

Good to hear about the improvement on the TMI front dlee, seems to be a common result of adding RS in.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,898 hmmm