Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#510720 05/01/15 08:02 PM
P
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
P
I was recently diagnosed with AS, but have probably had it since I was a teenager. I am now 35 years old. I am in a lot of pain and have started a fast to try to kick this disease into remission. I have been following the no starch diet for the past week. Has anyone had good success with fasting. I am only drinking water right now and plan to do the fast for three days. I have all of the usual AS pain... one of the hardest to manage is my achilles tendon and heal pain. Most of the time I just want to be on crutches because it hurts so bad.

DX: AS- HLA-B27 positive
Phatmarisa #510738 05/02/15 10:49 PM
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, Phatmarisa:

Fasting is one of the fastest ways to eliminate AS symptoms. I often fasted between 5 and 8 days, often 11 days and once 20 days that put me in solid remission for many months.

Eventually I learned to never actually tell anyone I was fasting because it seems everyone has some opinion about it--especially those who have never and would never fast!

Great way to kick off NSD!

Hope You are feeling great by now.

HEALTH,
John

Phatmarisa #510739 05/03/15 12:31 AM
P
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
P
Thank you John-
I actually had to eat something.. my blood pressure is normally very low and the fast made it so I could barely stand up. However, I am sticking with the NSD. I can't say I have experienced a reduction in my pain yet. I am trying to remain hopeful though. I am having a difficult time coming to terms with the fact that I have this. I'd like to be able to ride my bike again and go for hikes! Things like carrying my laundry basket and cleaning my bathroom are fairly tough for me. It is for sure frustrating. One of the things I am having a difficult time with is finding good supplements. I found D3 with no fillers, but have yet to fine curcumin without fillers. My vitamin d level is pretty low. Any thoughts about obtaining quality supplements without fillers?

DX: AS- HLA-B27 positive
Phatmarisa #510756 05/04/15 08:27 PM
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Phatmarisa,

I have the same problem as you with blood pressure being too low. I fasted for a week once, but the only way I accomplished it was to kind of do a modified fast. I had to drink chicken broth twice when my blood pressure got too low. Even though I had to modify the fast a little, I still accomplished remission.

Teri
http://agluten-freemama.blogspot.com/

Pain since 1989
Mis-diagnosed until 2011
SI joints somewhat fused, lower back is trying to fuse
Osteoarthritis in hips
Follows NSD
Takes Ibuprofen only when needed
Loves to swim.
Still working 5 days a week as a secretary then 5 nights a week waitressing.
Phatmarisa #510766 05/05/15 07:30 PM
I didn't believe in fasting until I had to do it for a colon procedure, and I was shocked how good I was feeling come day 3. By that I mean from stiffness and fatigue.

I've also felt better after an initial antibiotic dosing.

I always have pain through from joint and bone damage. Spurring and disk narrowing/fusion is what it is. In the past I really like the chiropractor and acupuncture, but that can get expensive.

A.S. forces you to focus on what you can do/have to do, and let the rest go as best you can.

I am a bad patient though. I go on a pizza binge and suffer, no apologies, just saying it is hard and your not alone.

Diagnosed with A.S., DDD, scoliosis, sleep apnea -- Tested positive for HLA-B27 gene; family history; visible damage on x-ray; significant iritis; enthesitis inflammation; fatigue; feverish; peripheral arthritis; Osteopenia; heart, G.I., and skin symptoms - :: - Insidious and often disabling pain started in my teens & 20's with heel pain; chest pain and hip-buttock in my early 20's; low back pain in my late 20's; mid thoracic and cervical in my 30's. Biologics in my 40's. (On remicade)
Phatmarisa #510800 05/07/15 09:00 PM
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fasting cuts the production of TNF-alpha which can improve AS symptoms in just days unfortunately when you eventually eat something the belly starts pumping TNF-alpha again.

Phatmarisa #510815 05/08/15 09:41 AM
B
boz Offline
Active_Member
Active_Member
B
I am undiagnosed, but thought i would give fasting a try.
I fasted for 4 days and did not notice any improvements in my back and neck stiffness.
Should i not see some bettering of stiffness after 4 days of water fasting, if AS is the case?

Norway
boz #510818 05/08/15 01:06 PM
AS Czar
AS Czar

Hi, boz:

Quote:
Should i not see some bettering of stiffness after 4 days of water fasting, if AS is the case?

Yes, considerable improvement.

Regret You did not experience relief, but congratulations on doing the fast!

In every case to date, of those with AS able to try the fast, almost every one experienced symptom reduction. In fact in cases where NSD is not very effective, fasting has still helped.

Based upon even my considerable experience with fasting and AS, I would still be unable to rule it out, and would consider whether You have found relief with steroids or NSAIDs, whether B27 positive, family history, etc.

There are usually explanations, but these are sometimes difficult to discover. If You have elevated inflammatory markers during flare, it would be interesting to note what it was prior to fast. I can get ESR measured on demand here in Philippines, and have done a lot of experimentation: Early days of diet, I could easily control my ESR through fasting/diet/antibiotics. I am no longer such a useful test subject.

Good Luck with Your diagnosis and I hope Your condition is much easier than AS.

HEALTH,
John

DragonSlayer #510820 05/08/15 05:11 PM
G
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
G
Is there a case where fasting wouldn't help eg an underlying cause of your leaky gut/immune problems that prevent it from being effective.

I have fasted seven and five days and never experienced any sense of well being or energy, non of that. I just got more weak and tired. Brain fog causes me to forget the effect on my mobility pain etc but I think it helped.

x

NSD almost all the way
No dairy hard cheeses occasionally and homemade ghee
Still trying to work out what makes me tick and what makes me drop

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi
DragonSlayer #510824 05/08/15 07:00 PM
B
boz Offline
Active_Member
Active_Member
B
Originally Posted By DragonSlayer

Hi, boz:

Quote:

Yes, considerable improvement.

Regret You did not experience relief, but congratulations on doing the fast!

In every case to date, of those with AS able to try the fast, almost every one experienced symptom reduction. In fact in cases where NSD is not very effective, fasting has still helped.

Based upon even my considerable experience with fasting and AS, I would still be unable to rule it out, and would consider whether You have found relief with steroids or NSAIDs, whether B27 positive, family history, etc.

There are usually explanations, but these are sometimes difficult to discover. If You have elevated inflammatory markers during flare, it would be interesting to note what it was prior to fast. I can get ESR measured on demand here in Philippines, and have done a lot of experimentation: Early days of diet, I could easily control my ESR through fasting/diet/antibiotics. I am no longer such a useful test subject.

Good Luck with Your diagnosis and I hope Your condition is much easier than AS.

HEALTH,
John

Thanks for great answer DragonSlayer! I will be taking all these questions with me to my next doctors appointment.
And i'll keep you guys updated.

Norway
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,367,361 hmmm
1,323,044 OMG!!!!
711,701 PARTY TIME!