Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#511940 08/03/15 07:22 PM
W
wle1 Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
W
http://www.amazon.com/The-Paleo-Approach-Reverse-Autoimmune/dp/1936608391

The author has some contradicting advice, says to incorporate root vegetables (cassava, sweet potatoes), stay away from almonds (and almost all nuts), soy... Most of the other stuff is spot on though. She does make a brief mention of the low starch diet, but didn't include it in the book because it "has not been validated in the scientific literature".

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, wle1:

Have not read the book.

Quote:
She does make a brief mention of the low starch diet, but didn't include it in the book because it "has not been validated in the scientific literature".

And never shall read the book. Even if statement were accurate, WHO has checked ALL the "scientific" literature? Attitudes like this have kept back progress for too many years; Thank You for exposing the fraudulent nature of the author.

HEALTH,
John

M
mcm Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
M
I have not read the book but belong to the paleo approach facebook group and have followed the the authors blog for quite some time. In defense of the autoimmune paleo diet (which the book is about ) it's geared toward all autoimmune. And most autoimmune paleo authors say you have to figure out what works for you - which may be the addition of low starch, low fodmap, low histamine, figure out food allergies, underlying infections etc.

Many on the facebook group say they have done really well/achieved remission on autoimmune paleo diet with safe starches. But I've noticed the spondy members of the group recommend cutting starch if you've been diagnosed with spondylitis or you're not having success on AIP and have arthritis symptoms. I stopped being active on the facebook group, it was too hard seeing the hard push for safe starches by alot of the members.

Anyway, that's my two cents smile MaryCay

Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I've skimmed the book, and would say like MaryCay above that the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol can help improve, and even completely correct health problems for many with autoimmune related disease.

I get the most reduction in symptoms (close to no symptoms) if I follow the AIP alonng with no starch. Like others keep stressing when dealing with autoimmune disease, you need to do your own research. It's more or less a custom fit smile

I think if you want to read about autoimmune disease in general, and how nutrition serves us to take charge of our health all by ourselves, then spend some time with that book.

For managing spondy symptoms you will most likely need to remove starches as well though. It's all about doing your own detective work, to figure out what combination of nutrition, supplements, and activity that will reduce your symptoms the most.

I think it's great that the Paleo community (I like Mark Sisson: marksdailyapple.com) is bringing the focus on the role of nutrition in chronic illness to the table.

Functional/integratvie medicine is another camp stressing similar points.

B27+, 2nd Rheumy: 'inflammatory backpain'.
IBS + SI/lumbar/thoracic/cervical/knee/elbow stiffness & pain.
Managing inflammation very well with diet since Jan 2011.
Slow but consistent reduction in symptoms year by year.
Haven't seen a physician in years.
Took LDN (4.5mg) between 2013-2015, 2018-2019.
W
wle1 Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
W
It seems for me these days that even eliminating starch, sugar, coffee, and just about everything, I still can't get rid of the pain...

M
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
M
Is it muscle cramping and back pain or joint burning? I've found that I need to take a magnesium supplement every day. It's a muscle relaxer so if you're having inflammation in the joints, I'm not sure if this is helpful but if it feels like muscle cramping, maybe give it a try. Sometimes my inflammation and cramping seem to go hand in hand so it's hard to tell what's what but I usually know for sure that I need more magnesium when my back really hurts and I start getting leg or foot pain as well.

Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
I have been following The Paleo Mom for a couple of years to stay up to date on what is going on in the paleo world these days.

In The Paleo Mom's recent email newsletter that I received last week she announced she was just diagnosed with "fibromyalgia and likely some form of arthritis in every single joint."

I wonder if we will see any changes to the full AIP diet she promotes in her books as she addresses her new diagnosis of fibro and arthritis? Overall I find most "AIP" recipes are generally higher in starches then regular "Paleo" recipes, this is because AIP recipes will often increase the use of starches like tapioca starch, cassava, arrowroot starch, plantains, tiger nuts, and sweet potatoes to replace the common paleo ingredients of eggs, nuts, and seeds as they (eggs, nuts, and seeds) are not allowed on AIP. AIP also includes other paleo staples like bone broth, pasture raised meats, veggies, greens, and fruits.

And you can do AIP without the starch but it is a much more limited diet then the "Low Starch Paleo" Diet I enjoy daily. Of course I would love to eat sweet potatoes and plantains but those are huge painful flare-up triggers for me! While foods not allowed on AIP like eggs, nuts and seeds don't trigger any AS symptoms for me, thank goodness. And I am totally nightshade free which is something I do like about AIP as it avoids nightshades too.

Excerpt from The Paleo Mom newsletter last week. I can't link to the actual newsletter from my email, but here is an excerpt I cut and pasted from it (along with a couple screen shots below):

Quote:
More than anything, I'm hoping to make my health a top priority as we head into the fall. As you know, this year has been a year of diagnosis for me, generally putting new labels onto old problems. Twice in my twenties, I was told that my thyroid was low and "we'd keep an eye on it", but this January I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. As I've also mentioned before, a contrast-enhanced x-ray of my hands in my late twenties revealed probable arthritis that was also never followed up. Well, last month I had a full-body thermography scan done. The main purpose was breast cancer screening (I am getting close to that age after all), but I was also very curious about what else thermography could reveal so I opted to have the whole shebang. The scan showed that I don't anything cancer-ish, so that's a major plus, but I do have fibromyalgia and likely some form of arthritis in every single joint. It's interesting to get a diagnosis like this when you're not looking for it, but it does explain some of the lingering symptoms I have every day--like morning stiffness which I've had most of my life and mediocre sleep quality no matter what I do--and it explains how quickly I feel terrible when I'm not doing everything right (like letting sleep slide, or getting stressed, or eating a tomato).

I really appreciate how open and honest The Paleo Mom is with all of us. And I will be curious to see if/how she treats the new diagnosis of arthritis and fibro going forward? I wonder if she will try a low starch paleo approach too? Or maybe she will have insight into other ways to treat arthritis and fibro though a holistic approach...

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
M
mcm Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
M
Interesting Bettyrawker, I'd seen a blog title mentioning a new diagnosis but hadn't read it. I'll be surprised if she cuts back on starch though, because she (and paleo parent, in their radio show) teaches that starch is essential especially for women's hormones. But will look forward to seeing how she addresses the lingering arthritis symptoms.

Another autoimmune paleo book I've wanted to check out is dr. Amy Meyers' Autoimmune Solution. Along with diet, lifestyle, etc., She goes into detail about the role chronic infection, candida, gut dysbiosis, etc. can have on symptoms and gives supplement recommendations. She does sell supplements on her site, but she recommends ones you can buy elsewhere (so I don't think she's using the book to sell her own stuff😁)

Wle1 - I have struggled to find complete relief through diet alone. Antibiotics have put me in remission in the past so adding natural antibiotics interests me. I've been doing gut healing measures for years in addition to cutting starch but still have symptoms. AIP plus no starch also gives me the most relief diet-wise but it's really hard to maintain, I can't keep enough food in me to keep my energy up. It may be worth a shot though if you're still in pain. I notice enough of a difference cutting starch that the no starch diet is worth it for me but it hasn't put me in remission. I need more from the right amount of exercise, enough sleep, and supplements. But I would not give up on diet, you may need to tweek it.

W
wle1 Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
W
@miniowl
I don't think so, I don't feel that my muscles are stiff. It's like the pain in my back but its moved to the front of my chest

@mcm
What natural antibiotics are you taking? Have you been able to go strictly NSD for any length of time?

M
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
M
@bettyrawker good points.

She seems smart so it's always frustrated me that AIP seemed to be of very limited usefulness to me personally. I think she ignores the principles of NSD/SCD/GAPS that basically starches will feed gram negative bacteria/candida/or whatever bad guys are overgrown and then increase dysbiosis and then perpetuate the vicious cycle.

I found this on her site about myth busting SCD/GAPS/starchy vegetables.
http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity/the-autoimmune-protocol
"Avoiding starchy vegetables for SIBO has not been validated in the scientific literature (but eating low FODMAP has been proven very effective for people with IBS, IBD and SIBO). Many people do anecdotally find symptom relief from starving overgrowths with these very low carb approaches, but the low carbohydrate/fiber intake can be stressful on the thyroid and cause dysregulated cortisol (and both of those are bad!)."

She's not wrong, I know personally that my thyroid levels are off but I just think maybe she is prioritizing the wrong thing first. Hopefully I'm not ruining my thyroid but in my experience I feel like I can live with a little low T3 but eating a plantain or sweet potato would put me in some serious distress. I am so curious about whether or not she has actually fixed her own dysbiosis.

@wle1 I hope you find some relief, if I come across any other helpful info, I will surely let you know.

Last edited by miniowl; 08/08/15 05:36 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 38 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis
by Missalicia - 05/25/22 05:38 AM
New recipe website from Janneke
by DragonSlayer - 05/10/22 05:03 PM
Looking for help dealing with Heartburn