Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
A
Thats so interesting. Would ypu say that someone who controls the pain via diet and lifestyle changes still have to be on DMARDS just so the AS not progress? We went to couple of rheumatoids but they didnt give me specific answers. When i asked how aggressive the disease is they said it might not progress at all or might get him 10 years to progress or
Originally Posted By WendyR
That's interesting, Staffy. I understood the opposite. Curious that they would add them to anti-tnf's which are already so effective for many people.

There is a forum devoted to diet particularly no-starch diet. That is probably the best place to post a question about diet. There are people here who entirely control AS through diet and most post in the diet forum. I would think the rheumatologist would keep an eye of progression via X-rays etc. But if someone is pain free then it seems to me that they may not need drugs. If I was in that situation, I would get regular checkups to make sure damage was not occurring without me being aware.

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
NSAID's can certainly reduce inflammation possibly mitigating the damaging affects of chronic inflammation, however long term use will most definitely have damaging effects on the digestive tract, as well as the liver. Biologics, commonly prescribed for autoimmune diseases don't have a long enough track record behind them in my opinion. Remember, pharmaceuticals are merely a bandaid solution. To heal fully we must uncover the root cause, and as my earlier post suggested, it's to do with malfunctioning digestive system. Dietary changes and lifestyle factors must be addressed...
I've recently released a short book outlining how I managed to reverse my symptoms which can be found here
http://www.amazon.ca/Reversing-Autoimmun...sing+autoimmune

Not sure if linking to pages is allowed here? If not please let me know and I'll remove this post, however there are plenty of other books that can be a great resource such as; Robb Wolf's book "The Paleo Solution" and Dr Perlmutter "Brain Maker" to name a couple. Education is key, blindly taking prescription drugs, whilst continuing to make poor dietary choices will certainly lead to further hardship.

Platinum_AS_Kicker
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Conclusions (2013)
This is the first study to show a protective effect of TNF-inhibitors on radiographic progression in AS. TNF-inhibitors are most effective when started sufficiently early in the disease course and when treatment is sustained for a longer period of time.

Study: The Impact of TNF-inhibitors on radiographic progression in AS

Good to study all perspectives when making personal choices.

This bunny Kicks AS !
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Platinum_AS_Kicker
The American College of Rheumatology (ACR) has released new recommendations (2015) for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis (SpA). The guidelines were developed with the Spondylitis Association of America (SAA) and the Spondyloarthritis Research and Treatment Network.

ACR Guidelines

Many don't prefer the western medicine, pharmaceuticals, etc. and others are doing well with diet. It's important for KA to provide relevant info so members can be well informed in making their own personal decisions and that we respect their choices.

This bunny Kicks AS !
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
Agreed, being well informed is an important aspect. Unfortunately, I feel the medical community fails to explain the importance of health in relation to dietary choices and often neglects to emphasize the negative impact pharmaceuticals can have on one's health.

I understand what life can be like with debilitating, chronic inflammation caused by autoimmune disease. I've experienced it first hand myself for many years. Often times pharmaceuticals can offer us much needed relief from excruciating pain, however, I feel that these drugs should be used temporarily. TNF's may be effective in slowing the progression of disease however, dietary and lifestyle changes can result in permanent remission and a return to good health. That is what everyone here should strive for.

A
A
wow thank you guys so much!
You have been so helpful and you are right-if you want to control the pain through the diet you need regular check ups so that you will have control of the disease not the disease to have control over you.
My partner is trying to heal his gut through the autoimmune protocol (don't know if you are familiar with this?) and I completely understand his denial in relation to NSAIDs-Jesse you are right they do more ham than good. Having said that, when you follow this path you always look behind your shoulder-is it alright ?is my disease going to become more aggressive? Especially when you ask the doctors for the effects that NSAIDs will have -or not have for this matter-on you disease and they don't give you clear answers. I understand that they have to follow their protocol etc but in the end of the day a patient went to them asking for help and information

New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
In my opinion, there is more then a dietary aspect involved in truly healing. Constantly being clouded by thoughts of disease can be extremely dangerous. Often times when people are diagnosed with disease, they become attached to this notion, this alone is a very powerful deterrent that can spiral out of control. The key is to disengage from this thought process and focus on healthy, positive thoughts.

Platinum_AS_Kicker
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Fortunately more research is being done on diet/nutrition. Let's hope continuing research on all aspects yields breakthroughs. I like to see actual research results...as slow as they may be. I would like to participate in a nutrition study on a tropical beach where they cater us with the right foods for at least 6 months...I would not cheat.

This bunny Kicks AS !
B
Bel Offline
Active_Member
Active_Member
B
My husband follows a diet of reduced starch..not as strict as some and this keeps him free of pain and inflamation pretty much.

Many drugs actually attack the digestive system so he stays off pain killers for headaches etc.

He goes to AS groups and he says that not many people want to know about his diet cure. If taking drugs 'works' to a certain degree, I guess there is less motivation to want to change.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  fyrfytr187, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!