Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
New_Member
New_Member
G
I'm glad I found this thread as I was thinking exactly the same about The Paleo Mom's approach to starches. I haven't heard that she has changed her opinion. It might be worth sending a question to The Paleo View podcast! I am tempted. I have her cook books and although AIP they aren't much use to me now as there are so many starches included. But I used them for a couple of years, before finding out about LSD, and during this my pain and symptoms gradually increased.

Last edited by Georgina_C; 06/09/17 07:11 PM.

Suspected SpA. HLA-B27, bloods, MRI -ve
History of enthesitis, unexplained injuries
Currently plantar fasciitis, Achilles, groin, finger, feet (sole), hand (palm) pain
Paleo 2012. Keto & LSD 5/2017 no improvement
Avoid sugar, most fruit, FOS, inulin. Do broth, kraut
Functional medicine practitioner is treating Kp w Caprylic acid, Paramicrocidin, proteolytic enzymes
Previously Cephalexin, Berberine w no success, temporary w Freedom Cleanse Restore (cleared candida)
Dru yoga gentle exercise
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
I have been on NSD for 9 months without any results. I stopped dairy products also. I am not clear which is hindering. I have tried borage oil, apple cider vinegar and oregano oil. Presently taking kefir milk. Still improvement is evading. I have consulted a paleo consultant. He adviced to avoid grapes and suggested to take milk products, beet, sweet potato, potato and tapioca for a month. But I am yet to try them. I understand LSD / NSD for AS FB, members follow sara (paleo mom) and recommends her diet. I am really not clear about the process and confusing because of no results. It appears that diet is a tough, tough, tough … job.

Already my family is unhappy about diet since no results are felt. Keeping the fingures crossed. I am planning for L-glutamine and magnesium. Can anyone suggest the magnesium (chemical) to be taken.

Regards.

Jay

Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hi Jay:

Magnesium chelate by Natural Factors is the only form I take. But I think my naturopath's idea of mixing different forms is good and to find a combination that works best for you. Each is absorbed differently and has a different storage and lifetime in your body. I liked taking Mg citrate before bed because it was quickly absorbed, induced some drowsiness but it leaves the body fast. There even is a form that apparently improves cognition.

Mg is great stuff!!

I hope this helps.
Kevin

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Hi Robin,

Thank you. I have no support of any naturopath here. Hence, I am checking for magnesium supplements details thro internet. Hope I will soon converge to some.

Jay

Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hi Jay,

I consult with my naturopath using Skype from over 10,000 km away. I met her only once; the initial visit.

just an idea for you,
KG

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Originally Posted By jay_bharat
I have consulted a paleo consultant. He adviced to avoid grapes and suggested to take milk products, beet, sweet potato, potato and tapioca for a month. But I am yet to try them.

Your paleo consultant's advice to eat high starch foods like tapioca and sweet potato sounds risky. My own experience with paleo-recommended starches is actually what led me to this website!

After years of eating fairly low carb because of avoiding grains and dairy, but before I suspected AS and discovered NSD and this forum, I consciously increased my starch intake. I had been reading on paleo blogs about the benefits of resistant starch to gut diversity and health and was completely sold. I discovered within weeks that potato starch causes me cystitis and then some months later I developed the debilitating and mysterious finger joint pain that eventually led me first to a rheumatologist and then to this site. Strict NSD has since diminished the pain in my fingers 90-95%.

I have been on NSD for 9 months without any results. I stopped dairy products also. I am not clear which is hindering. I have tried borage oil, apple cider vinegar and oregano oil. Presently taking kefir milk. Still improvement is evading.

I'm so sorry that your pain hasn't improved. Not sure if this would help, but I have noticed that you often mention eating foods that cause me problems. Case in point: In this post you mention grapes and milk kefir, two foods that absolutely cause my symptoms to worsen.

It's clear that some people here do ok with those foods, but you may not be one of them.

In previous posts I think you have also mentioned foods like legumes, sesame, ginger, apples and turmeric - all foods that are completely out of the question for me. If any of these foods are still in your diet, you may want to try removing.

You are right that the NSD is a tough, tough, job. I eat basically the same things every day to the point of boredom. Every now and then I try something new and while I've had some recent successes (asparagus! okra!) it's disappointing when my results aren't good (walnuts). I admire your persistence. Hopefully it will pay off.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Hi Robin,

Thank you. I am yet to decide about the process of consultation.

Jay

Last edited by jay_bharat; 06/16/17 07:13 AM.
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Hi Kellybell,

Thank you for your response.

I have stopped taking grapes after my paleo consultant’s advice. I am not consuming any starchy items suggested by him. I stopped diary items for more than 5 months. I started kefir milk only as probiotic about 25 days back. I have read that lactose in milk is converted with kefir and hence is ok. I have not observed any reaction to kefir since it’s consumption. When it is supposed to show reaction. I have observed reaction within a day after consuming any starchy items. Am I making any misinterpretation?.

I am not taking legumes & sesame now. I have tested with apple and found a particular brand does not change colour with iodine. I am consuming that particular brand of apple. I found the starch content to be less than 0.1 gm / 100 gm, When I checked up for amount starch in apple in internet.

My main issue is increase in iron in blood when I consume meat, fish and nuts. This has been the stumbling block and has to manage with few items which is already limited in number for NSD. Otherwise, I can increase meat consumption to do away with other foods. I am unable to choose a high energy content, less iron and no starch item. What to eat with so much of limitation?. My family is also slowly loosing hope in effectiveness of NSD. But I am determined to continue. But how long is the question?.

Quote:
I eat basically the same things every day to the point of boredom.

You have correctly pointed out the issue with diet.

Several people suggested consuming okra. But the colour changed with iodine. Hence, I have not tried. May be I have to give it a try and see.

Regards.

Jay

Last edited by jay_bharat; 06/16/17 08:09 AM.
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
I have read that lactose in milk is converted with kefir and hence is ok. I have not observed any reaction to kefir since it’s consumption.

Yes, bacteria consume much of the lactose in ferments like kefir, cheese and yogurt, though not all. Clearly not enough for me, my reaction is like clockwork. But if you're not reacting to kefir, then great!

Quote:
My main issue is increase in iron in blood when I consume meat, fish and nuts. This has been the stumbling block and has to manage with few items which is already limited in number for NSD.

Your iron issue is odd, given that your levels seem to increase with foods that have little or no iron, such as fish and chicken. I have the opposite issue of trying to keep my iron levels up! I now cook everything in cast iron and eat liver more often..

Quote:
Several people suggested consuming okra. But the colour changed with iodine. Hence, I have not tried. May be I have to give it a try and see.

To be clear, okra is in the 'unreliable' category, alongside kale, cabbage, and all fruit: I always need to test it with iodine because the starch content can vary from none to little to lots.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
The book I always recommend to A.S. sufferers is

Ankylosing Spondylitis the facts by Professor Muhammad Asim Khan. It tells you all you need to know about A.S. in an easy to understand way. Professor Khan is a rheumatologist who suffers from A.S. So medical knowledge plus personal experience.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!