Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
rumble Offline OP
Supreme_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Supreme_AS_Kicker
After a very long time off my beloved Cimzia (lasted 2.5 yrs), finally getting to move on to getting back on a treatment.

Long story short (I can run on at the keyboard if not careful), a year ago, I had pneumonia. It caused me to miss 2 weeks of work, largely due to exhaustion though I was never hospitalized. While on antibiotics, I stopped my MTX and delayed my Cimzia dose. Just after finishing the antibiotics, I had a rheumy check-up and asked when I'd be cleared to go on with the shot. He said if I was feeling okay and was a few days past the last dose, he had no reason for delaying. Happily, I went home and took the shots. The next week, my PCP called to say she wanted to do a chest x-ray to make sure all the pneumonia (one lobe of one lung) was clear. Since I felt fine, I was pretty surprised that the x-ray was not clear. So no more Cimzia till my x-rays were clear.

This took me on quite a trip since the next 3 x-rays over a span of two months were not clear either. Radiologist in his last report recommended a CT. That was done and revealed a 1.2cm nodule and enlarged lymph node! And a PET-CT was recommended. That was done, but did not rule out cancer. (my hubby was frantic, I was just curious since I didn't feel bad, nor did I have symptoms) Anyway, after a visit to an oncologist who wasn't at all concerned and a pulmonologist who just wanted to repeat the CT in December, which was the same. It was just 'there' and not growing. No big deal. Of course, all this testing meant that there was no Cimzia use for 6 months.

Then, I got up in the middle of the night in Nov to go pee and had the unfortunate event of fainting in the bathroom while standing at the sink. I hit my head on something and got an impressive black eye and persistent dizziness. Then I got up and made it to bedroom and fainted one last time, this time wrenching my right foot under me as I fell. X-rays the next day revealed 3 broken bones. Ortho looked at it a couple of days later and since it was in Lisfranc area (midfoot), he wanted an MRI. After the MRI of foot showed a couple more broken bones, he requested MRI of ankle, which showed a couple more broken bones--total 8 nondisplaced fractures. I was non-weightbearing for 8 weeks and home from work the whole time. Graduated to cane and was able to go back to work in boot in late January. Still no Cimzia. But I fixed my own dizziness with a DIY Epley maneuver! Those little ear stones were finally back where they belonged.

Then, it was determined that fractures were not all healing and I got approved for a bone growth stimulator. Still using that and the cane and it's 7 months since I fell. There are a couple of stations I still can't do at work. I can walk short distances (around the house or around one small area at work) without a cane, but I feel sturdier with it. Have a temp handicap placard for parking.

But I avoided having surgery. Saw rheumy yesterday and begged to be able to start something. Hubby wasn't too excited for me to take a biologic since in his opinion 'that stuff is going to kill you'. After a year off any treatment, I am convinced that NOT treating this is going to kill me or make me have to quit my job that pays for our medical insurance. We've had a few heated discussions regarding my desire to take these meds. I see it as a realistic treatment---he sees it as something that is going to take me away from him sooner than he'd like. He tried to insist on making the decision on my health care. I rebelled.

So, the day before I had this rheumy appt, I sat down to talk to him and explained my desire. Back in 2011, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Both of us looked at possible treatments since he didn't want surgery. Radiation was highly recommended in literature. A referral to a rad onc was made and when we saw him, he recommended Cyberknife, a different way to do radiation, though it didn't have a long track record. I like tried and true--but hubby wanted the newest and cutting edge. Since it was his cancer and his body, I let him make that decision. I told him two days ago that I wanted that same ability--to make my own choice for my own body. He understood and said he would not make waves. But he did say he didn't want me to go back on Cimzia. Argh. But he's not going to go totally against a biologic, so thus I'm starting Cosentyx when it's approved by insurance.

I really tried to make this short--left a lot out. Only med I'm still taking through this year was MTX. Also had to stop taking an NSAID because of it affecting kidney function. Creatinine went up to 1.33 and rheumy said that wasn't going to work. It's back down to 0.95. About 2 weeks after I broke my foot, I started having some major low back pain on one side one evening. It kept increasing till I was writhing, crying, vomiting and made hubby take me to ER. A CT was done and they asked if I'd ever passed a kidney stone. Nope. Well, I had a 7mm stone stuck in ureter. Got some good drugs (took a huge amount to stop the writhing, crying, vomiting) and was admitted for laser lithotripsy the next day. Was home in under 24 hrs with a stent. Ugh.

That's my update...other than recently having my 7th or 8th radio-frequency ablation on my SI joints. It works!

Hubby and I were both hoping for a mellower year this year. And this one has been just that, compared to last year. Scary, huh?

(for just me, in 2016 I had 7 chest x-rays, 3 chest CT, one PET-CT, one head CT, two head MRIs, two foot/ankle MRIs, many foot x-rays, a renal stone CT, laser lithotripsy---may have missed something in this list. 2017 is far less eventful, so far, knock wood.)

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
So sorry to hear the incidents. Hope you are feeling better.

Did you take MTX throughout while not not biologics. Is that for anti inflammation or to avoid antibodies for biologics.

Wishing you a good health.

Jay

rumble Offline OP
Supreme_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Supreme_AS_Kicker
I've been on MTX for many years, predating all my biologic choices. It helps a little bit, but not enough on its own. The NSAID Mobic 15mg helped some, too, but not enough in tandem with the MTX. That was the reason to move on to the biologics. Not getting antibodies to them is a secondary role for MTX in my case.

Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Thanks.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Good luck with the new biologic!

Sorry you had so much going on medically.

Hope the year remains quiet for you.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
A
New_Member
New_Member
A
I have been on Cosentyx for about six months now and it has worked well for me. I had been on Humira for years, but stopped for three months so I could clear it out of my system and then take several immunizations. When I started back on Humira I thought all was well, but I had three outbreaks of Iritis (which caused me to delay cataract surgery three times. Grrrrrrr.) My rheumy finally ran an antibody test. Humira was no longer viable for me.

The Cosentyx was the rheumie's recommended route. At first I thought it wasn't doing anything, except that I wasn't in pain and no more Iritis. Oh, I guess it is working. :-)

One other benefit? You only have to inject once a month after the initial loading period.

If it works as well for you as it did for me, I suspect you will be pleased.

Oh, and try not to break any more bones! :-)

Adam Rodman

rumble Offline OP
Supreme_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Thanks, Adam, and others. I'm expecting to be released from doctor's care on the foot fractures (recheck and x-rays coming up Wednesday) and expect my shipment of Cosentyx to arrive later this week (another long and frustrating story of problems with pre-auth and loading doses omitted).

Hoping this works quickly and without incidents.

It took a steroid taper to bring down inflammation levels and to get me off the cane and walking sort-of-normally again. So I should be good to go on Cosentyx. Now that the steroids are done, the pain levels shot up again, but I resisted going back to the cane. Stubbornness, maybe.

Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Oh Rumble. You have really had it. Sometimes things get so tough. I think of you often. I think the last time we talked you were still in the boot.
I hope this new med helps you.
I have had a hard year also. I think for me as I age, things get harder. I had another kidney surgery a couple of weeks ago that didn't fix the problem and put me in bed with a big Lupus flare.

Would love to see you and catch up.

[Linked Image]

Possi

RUN WHEN YOU CAN,
WALK IF YOU HAVE TO,
CRAWL IF YOU MUST,
JUST NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

"A FRIEND HEARS THE SONG IN YOUR HEART AND SINGS IT TO YOU WHEN YOU CAN'T REMEMBER THE WORDS."

"A FRIEND LOOKS THROUGH YOUR BROKEN FENCE TO ADMIRE YOUR FLOWERS."

Quelle plate full- admire your coping abilities- best of everything in your strength, purpose and continued coping -
Molly C - Keeping on,Keeping on - as we all do

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)