Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#446807 07/11/11 03:21 AM
Oknean Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
I take a psyllium husk powder fiber supplement called Gran-Sure Colon Health. Anyone know if psyllium husk contains starch? It's the coating around the seed of the Psyllium plant. TIA!!!

May the Lord keep you and bless you!

David

In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. Job 12:10
1 member likes this: sexyAS
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Psyllium husk doesn't have starch, but it really does a number on me -- I almost got iritis after taking it for a couple days. Popped a couple Aleve to bring the inflammation down, and resolved never to take it again, starch or no...

I think the problem is that no-starch is a simplification, which works for some people but not for tough cases. Some young'uns who have only had AS for a few years can get good results with a diet that is more low-starch than no-starch, and don't have to worry about any other diet subtleties. I don't fall into that category, and based on your introduction you probably don't either... so here are some potential pitfalls to look out for:

* lactose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose
* inulin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin
* FOS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructooligosaccharide

I'm going to assume that you've read the theory behind the NSD, which talks about Klebsiella germs living in your gut causing our immune system to go haywire. The point being that anything that increases Klebsiella population in our bodies can make us flare.

The substances in this list are not starch, but they are complex carbs which Klebsiella germs would be happy to metabolize; the main question is whether they get the chance. Lactose is a difficult sugar for many people to digest. The less efficient your body is at digesting lactose, the more it stays in your gut and feeds the germs. The other two, FOS and inulin, are not directly digestible by humans and always end up fermenting in the gut, but they can be metabolized by beneficial bacteria as well as Klebsiella. So depending on the specific balance of gut flora, they might cause increased Klebsiella population -- or the Klebsiella might get out-competed by other germs.

I think psyllium falls into this same category of potential pitfalls, because it is not absorbed by our digestion but ferments in the gut to feed bacteria. At least, that's the only explanation I came up with for why it caused an inflammation spike.

Hope this made some sense. I've had to learn more about nutrition in the last couple years than I ever wanted to know. Have learned that some of the common knowledge about nutrition turns out to be backwards when dealing with AS, e.g. manufacturers like to brag about including FOS and/or inulin "prebiotics" to encourage beneficial bacterial growth, while in my case they are actually harmful.

Do you know any online lists showing the FOS content in various foods? I read here: http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=330445 that FOS is worse than starch in feeding the Klebsiella. FOS is found in for example tomatoes which are recommended in the London diet. Confusing!

Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
Sorry, I do not know of a very complete list. Best I know of is in the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructooligosaccharide
"FOS is extracted from fruits and vegetables such as bananas, onions, chicory root, garlic, asparagus, barley, wheat, jícama, tomatoes, and leeks. The Jerusalem artichoke and its relative yacón have been found to have the highest concentrations of FOS of cultured plants."

Other than those, I found out it is in normal artichokes (argh! must be why they bother me despite no starch) and in nopal (which I was considering trying for reported healing properties, until discovering it has FOS).

I'm not sure if FOS is actually worse than starch; it does seem like I need to stay away from both.

Thank you.

Does anybody know whether they are referring to FOS as bad when it is a supplement/concentrated, or in its natural form in e.g. tomatoes?

I don't know which they are referring to but I would say supplement form would be way worse. I don't think tomatoes are loaded with FOS. However, they do test positive for starch for me here in NZ esp when cooked.

My hubby is very sensitive to starch but he's ok with asparagus and leeks and onions (as long as they test negative for starch as they do test positive at certain times of the year).

Hope that helps

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
Psyllium made my eyes threaten to flare, too. Thanks for the explanation why!

I have Reiter's Syndrome, an HLA-B27 disease similar to AS. Diagnosed 2008. I used Humira and methotrexate until 2012, when I was diagnosed with leiomyosarcoma and given a hysterectomy and a 26% chance of 5-year survival. Cancer-free ever since I stopped taking Humira and methotrexate; trying to trust medicine again. In a mobility scooter since 2013 with joint pain and disease-related stress fractures. Uveitis. Eyes and joints flare whenever I stray from a severely limited diet (NSD+).
1 member likes this: sexyAS
New_Member
New_Member
I don't think it contains starch. I have been using a pre-bread mix called KZ Clean Eating Bread Mix for bread where you can add water and cook it fast. I found this was one of few ways to bulk up on fiber. You could try it.

I do blood work often for inflammation markers because it's free. I had inflammation CRP and ESR. When I did my strategy for no starch, I reduced my blood work to zero inflammation on diet alone. The problem was getting HUNGRY without starch or certain type of carbohydrates.

I had a dietician recommend adding LUPIN BEANS to my diet. It worked to boost my energy and reduce the food cravings from going zero starch. I am going several years without progression or activation of Ankylosing Spondylitis now.

For anyone out there that works out at the gym and needs energy, but does not want to include STARCH in their diet.....

1. Consider making a loaf of bread without starch to replace that habit
2. Add lupin beans (mostly protein) and roast them with a BBQ sauce or other flavor for snack time
3. Switch to lactose-free cottage cheese or yogurt to reduct the sugars your gut is feeding off (It's sweeter too!)
4. When swallowing pills or herbs or consuming water, you can use a herb tincture called Astragalus and put a few drops in the water to actively reduce inflammation
5. Eat and load up on broccoli, bacteria can't latch onto certain cellulose in the GI Tract
6. EXERCISE was the biggest factor in keeping the progression from happening, when I stopped the GYM during Wave 1 of COVID, everything painful came flooding back in because I was not practicing any of these habits above...

Ultimately, I am not giving medical advice or professional guidance. This is what has worked for me. I have not progressed. Going starch-free might not be the only thing that other people need ot do.

If you find following something super strict hard, the best you can do while keeping it simple is daily exercise for more than 45 minutes with 1 day break.

Don't confuse movement with actions.

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)