Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#520618 04/18/22 01:19 PM
J
jwmson Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
J
Approaching 40Y of AS & all the stuff it has given.

Was always told by MDs to avoid chiropractors at all costs.

Well I needed relief for extensive neck, back, shoulder pain &
visited a local massage therapist. I’ve gone weekly
and there is relief for about 5 days & then it’s like
starting over again. The muscles are knotted, pained & it
takes the entire hour to get back to where each week ends.

He suggested a chiro, young & has had success with helping
spine issues. therapist says my muscles don’t retrain or
remain in-place since I have so much compression with
muscles & spine. He thinks if there can be some relief
given to spine compression, the muscles won’t go back
in-place & get knotted up.

Anyone have such therapy or chiro work done similar
to this? Massage is great but I’m not getting any
permanent relief or improvement.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hi there, welcome to KA!

Chiropractic is a touchy one for us, as our spines are brittle. Traditional chiropractic treatment can cause us harm, so it is not something our rheumies and primary care doctors recommend.

That said, it was my chiropractor that realised I had something more wrong with my spine than we thought and ordered xrays. She found my AS. As soon as she realised I wasn't responding to traditional 'torque' based adjustments the way others do, she changed her technique throughout her practice. She uses a device called an integrator. She would put her thumb on the vertebrae needing adjustment and put the integrator onto her thumb. She would activate the spring load, the integrator would adjust through her thumb. She also did a lot (a hell of a lot) of myofacial work on me and mobilised my shoulders and hips. She kept me going for years, until I moved and didn't know who to trust. I haven't had chiro in over ten years now and I do miss it. But I have to say that I was helped as much by the myofacial and other soft tissue work she did as by the adjustments.

If you go to a chiro, please make sure it is someone who is knowledgeable about Ankylosing Spondylitis. They aren't all, despite tending to our spines. And don't believe anyone who claims to have the cure.

I hope that helps.

Light and love,

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

2 members like this: Magician, jwmson
J
jwmson Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
J
Thank you.
I have had 1 treatment. It was not the traditional chiropractor treatment or 'adjustment'. I had no paln during the session. I have 2 follow-up appts. Will determine then if there is relief.
I was 'out' in several areas and the SA joints were the worst. My right shoulder is always higher than my left; can visibly see the difference.

We had a long conversation before the session began and I shared my concerns and apprehension. Chiropractor fully accepted the concern and said he thought I would have benefited from chiro treatment over the yrs. I've had several rheumy's over the yrs, mostly b/c they moved on to other areas. But none had ever recommended chiropractic care or services.

He also used the tens stimulation following the session. He used a device as well; unsure the name and forgot to ask. May have been the instrument you describe above.

Last edited by jwmson; 04/21/22 12:09 PM.
I'm glad to hear he didn't use tradition torque methods of adjusting. They are the main reason you will not get a recommendation for chiro from a GP or Rheumatologist.

If you ever have pain in an adjusted area that is acute and lasts, the chiro should be told. But it sounds like he listened to you. The device might have been an Activator, or an Integrator. Either way, spring loaded. Did he shoot it through his thumb in tender areas? Mine always did. Mine also never once did any kind of adjustment on me without warming my muscles up with soft tissue work. And then mobilisation work afterward.

Did you mean SI joints? They are typical trouble spots in classic AS. I also have a shoulder that sits higher. You might consider looking at Pilates mat work. Very very beginner in the beginning. It will help with range of motion, stretching, strengthening your abs so they can support your spine better.

TENS can be really helpful. Also ultrasound. If this person knows craneo-sacral work, I used to love it. Zenned me no end.

Please do pay attention to what your body is telling you during treatments and mention anything painful to your chiro. OK? I hope it really helps.

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 33 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
New recipe website from Janneke
by DragonSlayer - 05/10/22 05:03 PM
Chiropractic care
by jwmson - 04/18/22 01:19 PM
Looking for help dealing with Heartburn
by Magician - 03/11/22 11:15 PM
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Electromyography (EMG) test
by Magician - 10/01/21 04:03 AM