Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#520886 02/09/24 02:25 PM
K
Lurker
OP Offline
Lurker
K
Hello,

I have suspected that I may have AS at a low level since I was in my 30s - I'm 60 now. Morning stiffness was an intermittent thing until I had Covid last year, and now it's every day (woken at 2am if I move in bed). In addtion, I have been experiencing very severe problems since a non-covid virus last weekend. I don't know what's going on and will be seeing my GP on Monday. I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions for me before I go? Thank you:)

1. I wasn't sitting in a 'supportive chair' whilst I had the virus last weekend, so I guess I might have slipped a disk. How would I tell the difference between that and an AS flare? The pain is really bad (gripping buttock and lower back muscles, with jags of pain when I move'. Only ibuprofen seems to tone it down - gentle walking around my kitchen doesn't touch it.
2. Could it be both low-level AS and an injury? Does AS make you more prone to joint injuries? Can joint injuries trigger an AS flare?
3. The low starch diet looks interesting. Is this only relevant to people with HLA-B27? I don't know whether I have that genotype, but suspect because we have various incidents of autoimmune/inflammatory things through our family.

Thank you so much if you can answer any of these for me.

AS Czar
AS Czar
WELCOME, Karma_Coconut:

Just my humble opinions--

1. I wasn't sitting in a 'supportive chair' whilst I had the virus last weekend, so I guess I might have slipped a disk. How would I tell the difference between that and an AS flare? The pain is really bad (gripping buttock and lower back muscles, with jags of pain when I move'. Only ibuprofen seems to tone it down - gentle walking around my kitchen doesn't touch it.

A: A "flare" will typically involve many different areas at once; the inflammation is systemic. What You have described is common and can be attributed to sciatica, also. It is best to seek a physician's evaluation.

2. Could it be both low-level AS and an injury? Does AS make you more prone to joint injuries? Can joint injuries trigger an AS flare?

A: Of course it could be AS PLUS anything. Did You injure Yourself? Advanced AS will make us prone to joint injury even slipped disk because our vertebrae become misshapen. Any injury can "trigger" AS by slowing down digestion; chronic stress will make AS much worse!

3. The low starch diet looks interesting. Is this only relevant to people with HLA-B27? I don't know whether I have that genotype, but suspect because we have various incidents of autoimmune/inflammatory things through our family.

A: The LSD will work for everyone with AS and also help people with Crohn's who do not usually possess the B27 antigen. I do not trust the test for this antigen unless done using Fc or ELISA methods.

HEALTH,

John

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dotyisle), 77 guests, and 675 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
I P F
by deano - 07/17/23 10:28 AM
It’s been a while
by mulehound - 06/25/23 12:28 AM
Apple fast vs organic juice fast
by Alida1 - 03/01/23 06:51 PM
Coconut oil + oregano oil Enema for AS
by L33 - 01/30/23 10:23 PM