Kickas.org
Posted By: Tinkerbell Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 01:01 PM
I joined the gym some weeks ago.

There is a different class every day (I currently go to one class a week) and every week each class varies it's focus. All kinds of exercise aids are used.

Initially, I found the classes hard and after a day or so settled back down to normal and felt my overall flexibility and fitness seemed to be improving. But over the weeks I am starting to feel worse and worse after every class and it is taking longer for me to feel back to normal.

It is not using muscels that I do not usually use that is the problem. I would expect to feel it a bit in my legs, arms, thighs etc. But I don't think I am imagining it, that my main AS sites seem to be getting seriously aggrevated.

My main problem areas are my neck (which also causes referred pain in the form of blinding headaches), shoulder blades, lower back, buttocks and feet. All these areas are causing me problems and after my class on Monday I am feeling the worst I have since I started.

Can I actually be making my AS worse here, instead of better?

Or do I just need to work through a pain barrier as I have not exercised like this in many years?

I am going to see the doctor for some advice, but wondered what you guys thought?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 01:16 PM
Hi Tink,
I would say gym work is ok for people who have done it for years and there body is used to it. You can easily over do it and its far more beneficial for your AS to do more stretching exercise.Swimming, Badminton is a great way to get fit and stretch I used to play a lot and really got a lot from it. Tennis is another good one. Why push yourself to the point of misery when you can get as much with stretching and feel better not worse.

Kevin
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 01:33 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Kevin,
The reason I thought the classes might be good is because they involve at lot of deep breathing and yoga-like exercise as well as plenty of stretching and concentration on posture and muscel toning. It is not gym as in weights, rowing machines, treadmills etc.

I used to regularly do sport, fitness, swimming and yoga, but have not done any exercise really since my C-section 2 years ago which really made my fitness levels hit an all time low.

I suppose what I am really asking is: could doing the type of exercise i am doing in my class actually make my AS worse and cause me physical damage?
It seems to be making me feel better (stamina/breathing/flexibility/toning) and worse (AS sites aggrevated as mentioned) at the same time.

I suppose I feel I want to try and do something more than just walking to improve my fitness (swimming is out for me in the winter as I have no pool to go to) and I love the social aspect of meeting my friends and it is in the evening and gives me the only break I get from the house and children. There is not too much going on in this area and it is very rural.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 01:42 PM
I suppose the answer to whether you will cause damage depends on how advanced your AS is. Unless you have a lot of fusion then no it shouldn't cause damage providing your car full. Perhaps your trying to do too much too soon cut back a bit on the amount your doing then as you feel better try building it up again. I know its frustrating for you but its all about control of your limits.
I wish I could do more I hate being like a rigid stick but in my case its a no no.

Kevin
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 02:14 PM
It IS frustrating isn't it?
I know how much things have been getting you down lately, Kevin and that your life has been affected in so many ways by your AS mad
My AS is not advanced and I have no fusion. I just get inflammation, swelling, pain, stiffness, fatigue etc and that is only when I am in a flare. I can feel fine most of the time.

AS and your body really seem to work against each other, don't they?
AS seems to sabatage any efforts you make to try and improve or ease your AS symptoms - by causing your body to flare up and get inflamed. It's just a senseless illness confused2

I need to slow down, I can see that now. I was blindly hoping I could break through the pain barrier. I think the pain barrier is my AS flaring up because my body can't take the paces I am putting it through. Better just face facts.
Thanks for talking sense to me, Kevin heart

Are you walking Scoobs today? It is raining a lot here, not sure if I will take the kids for a walk - they have colds and coughs.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 02:18 PM
Your welcome Tink,
Yes its blowing a force 10 here and pouring hard took him early but keep putting off this afternoon he will have to go soon.

Kevin hugss
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 02:28 PM
Tink - IF it hurts, STOP. You will only exacerbate areas 'of' inflammation. I love cleaning paddocks and mucking out stables - great exercise as well. But...all that scooping ends up hurting my carpal tunnel, heaving shovel loads of poop and wheeling barrow loads of it and throwing it up onto the muck heap, exacerbates sacrum problems (ended up with a humungous bursitis one time!) Heaving those shovel loads cause inflammation in the shoulder girdle, and sure aint good for costo. Great - Not! Don't weaken, but take it easy.

Flippin bore. Sigh.

Go to the gym by all means, but, do NOT overdo it. Let yr body 'tell' you where you are at. So, it con't mean *Stop everything. Continue to go, but, be careful. Spell yourself.

Perhaps a word with yr instructor would be in order. The instructor should know which exercises are good for you, which ones need modification and which exercises to leave out of the regime altogether.

Go well - go carefully.
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 02:33 PM
You are a brave pair woof
I think we are getting the same weather! Gale force winds and torrential rain are one hell of a combination aren't they? eek2
It's lovely chatting with you, Kevin, you are such a sweetie hugss
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 02:41 PM
Hi Molly
Thanks so much for the advice!
You are a fine one to talk, cracking a rib and then skipping off to a rodeo event! lol Ooohhhh quickly running for cover eek eek2 laugh2
You are right I should speak to the instructor - I might need to hire an interpretor though! The subject of the workings of the human body and the effects of exercise did not come up in my idiots guide to French! Now put me in a restaurant or a supermarket and I am good to go!!!
How are your ribs by the way? Are you doing OK at the moment. This weather is rotten and I know you have a lot of outdoorsy stuff you have to attend to. We ought to have been neighbours, Molly. I think about you a lot, you know hugss
Posted By: Orch Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 03:16 PM
I have been running for many years, since 1988. Years ago it took me a long time to increase my running distance. I had to work into longer distances very slowly or I would be in a lot of pain. I don't have that problem so much anymore. I am still careful. I will not go out and run 13 miles if I have only been running 6 miles in my training runs. I was worried when I ran the marathon in 2008. My longest run before the marathon was 21 miles. I had been running a lot of miles during the weeks and months leading up to the marathon. I was worried because I had never made that big a leap in distance before. It all worked out fine. I was not sore the day after.

After all that I am just saying work into new territory slowly.
Posted By: stevec Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 03:33 PM
I don't know what your Doc is going to say and I'm sure he or she is wiser than me. I like the gym and even do light, very light weight work.

I would never just give up going to the gym but I test to see what workout or machines or activities end up causing discomfort. I try to build a routine. That is only one thing for a mont, then add something new so if there's a problem I can establish cause and effect and remove the new addition to my routine. and so on.

A class that varies each week doesn't give you enough feedback to let you determin e what is causing the pain. Is it one exercise, exercise in general or a few of the exercises.
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 03:38 PM
Good advice, Orch
Appreciate you giving me a working example there from your personal experience.

I thought doing one class a week WAS taking it slowly, but maybe I just didn't want to admit that even one class is way out of my comfort zone at the moment.

I have been swimming plenty through the summer and added walking into my almost daily routine now.
I thought this was enough to prepare me for an exercise class.
Especially as some of my friends do three classes per week with no problem.
I am obviously not in the same league and need to tone it right down.

However spoilt I sound, I just don't want to!
As the day is going on though, having been resting/gently stretching my pain is increasing and I can feel myself stiffening up especially in my neck, shoulders, upper and lower back. I think this is more than just straining myself in the class, I am flaring and it really hurts.

Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it smile
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 03:49 PM
Hi Steve
You make a very good point about the variety of exercise making it difficult to determine what movements are causing the problem. Sounds obvious now you have said it! lol

As I go through the class, anything which does not feel quite right or actually causes me pain, I stop straight away and have a drink of water and breath for a bit. I step back in when I am on safer ground, but even doing this is not enough to stop me from being in pain afterwards.

I could not even consider going to a class the way I feel today. I went to the last class on Monday and have been gradually feeling worse not better.

The gym class is obviously not something I can continue with at the moment.

I am not sure what the doctor will say either, but I can at least get some advice about what low impact activities I can do in my area and what he recommends.

Thanks for taking the time to offer me some much valued advice grin
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 04:17 PM
Just a thought Tink - how's abuot checking IF the CHU Bordeaux has Spondy exercise classes going there? Know that is summat that EULAR are wanting to/hoping to introduce in France, know NOT available here in Britany, but, might be available at a first class hospital like CHU Bordeaux. Have you been to see the rheumy consultant there as yet?

Back a step - neighbours? Ya never know kiddo. Feel a move coming on...hahaha Will be looking for a cheap house with largish rooms and an open fireplace. Will need 'good' storage, and enough room for hundreds of books. Plus a small garden - but NO hedges! Prefer mains drains etc...fosse septic are a devil of a pain whistle

Rain here, high winds, not too cold, just utterly vile (the chucks are fed up with it, they are drenched through, poor dears.)

Take care - BTW have you got Pilates classes near to you? Pilates are excellent.
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 04:40 PM
Hi Molly
Have been preparing my AS notes and covering letter to present to my doctor. This latest episode has spurred me on to get down there ASAP. Will take it from there and see what he wants to do with me! lol

The house you are describing... is my house! I am not joking! I need a bigger garden and more rooms as I currently have a small garden and big rooms but not many of them! I feel a move coming on too smile Once the bug gets you it doesn't let go!
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 04:48 PM
Might take me a time to sell mine, but then I could buy yours...haha Enough room for me chucks in yr garden?

What a fun solution that would be - most amusing. MUST get down to see you come spring - want to see my chums down there as well, husband just DX with leukaemia. Very sad. But doctor thinks containable. Look on the bright side.
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 06:41 PM
Was very disappointed we could not meet up this summer, Molly.
Would love to organise something for the spring!
Something to look forward to indeed - I'll give you "the tour" and you can see what you think!
Very sorry to hear about your friend. That really is sad news.
Posted By: inkyfingers Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 08:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Mollyc1i
Tink - IF it hurts, STOP. You will only exacerbate areas 'of' inflammation.

Flippin bore. Sigh.

Go to the gym by all means, but, do NOT overdo it. Let yr body 'tell' you where you are at. So, it con't mean *Stop everything. Continue to go, but, be careful. Spell yourself.

Perhaps a word with yr instructor would be in order. The instructor should know which exercises are good for you, which ones need modification and which exercises to leave out of the regime altogether.

Go well - go carefully.

All the sort of advice I was going to give you, Tinks - except the 'talk to the instructor' bit, as sadly that person will know a lot less about AS and its effects on the body than you do...

My suggestions (from a PT PoV...) would be to keep going to the classes for the benefits that you are seeing....however, don't push your limits quite as far. Maybe stop halfway through a set of exercises, stretches etc, or cut the pace in half. Don't worry that you are having a little rest and the rest of the class *might* think you're a slacker - it's called "being self-protective"!

You can probably work out which bits NOT to do - any standing 'twisty' things for your SIJs, any jumping or prolonged standing for your feet etc...

It's a right royal pain in the *everywhere* (for us! eek ) that we have to pace ourselves and find out the hard way where our limits WERE. mad
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 09:22 PM
Louise, you are an angel angel3d

Thank you so much for the professional advice (cheque is in the post!)lol

We did do one week where we did tons of twisting (with the song let's twist again in the background) now you come to mention it, and that did cause me problems! When I twist my torso I find it impedes my breathing and makes me short of breath, I get this kind of grinding thing.

Jumping also - we did sort of bunny hops at one point in the last lesson and that did not feel great either, so I rested that bit out after a couple of jumps.

I am not embarrassed to take things at my own pace, I have not told the instructor that I have AS, but she does keep a good eye on me and corrects me if I am not in a good posture etc because I am new to the class.

I like the idea of still going to the class but not participating fully. That is certainly something to consider. I am not good at putting the breaks on, however, I tend to throw myself into things, push myself and try to give it my best (as I had always done before my AS kicked in in my early 20's). Slowing down to protect myself is not so easy. Having said that, the way I feel today I do not have much choice in the matter.

Thanks so much for your kind advice, hon hugss

I am not totally sure if I have done myself an injury or another by going to this class week on week or if pushing myself too hard has brought on a flare. It feels like a bit of both. If I have inflammation due to overdoing it is it better to rest or to carry on doing a bit of exercise? I guess this is where the doctor comes in, as he can access me and advise me in person.

I love exercising and sport, always have. I love being active and doing things. This is a bit of a knock for me, but I will get over it. Things could be much worse.

As I sit here typing I feel like some of my muscels in my neck and back are in spasm. My body is definitely not happy at all today.

Take care, Louise
Love Tink heart
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/11/10 11:36 PM
hi tink!

gonna echo the others' advice, put in a few of my personal opinions and examples as well.

if you are "injuring" anything, maybe the tendons or ligaments, but they do heal up, that's what i irritate / injure.

i used to think, in my 20s, "oh, walking isn't really exercise!" but now that i am in my 40s, i see that clearly i was wrong and its one of the very best exercises one can do. it is great cardio, it is great for the bones, great for battling insulin resistance / diabetes, great for increasing HDLs. i love walking, but that's partly because where we live is pretty rural too, so lots of nice scenery, flora and fauna to observe. but not everyone enjoys it as much as i do, so if you find it not exciting enough, i understand. and the best thing about walking is that i rarely "hurt myself" doing it, and easy to note when i've had enough and stop.

as for overdoing it, funny the things we can and can not do, some totally surprised me. when i took the yoga class, was very good at the shoulder stand and it was a great stretch for my neck, better than traction even, and very similar, but i pulled a hamstring tendon doing the bow, pulled other tendons along the way. quit the class before i did real damage. i could have stayed there, done the things i could do, then done more of what i could do while everyone else was doing what i could not, but i always felt myself doing more than i should, so i just do a kind of PT exercises / yoga thing myself at home. i'm ok with that. but sounds like you want to get out of the house.

then i found after a while that weights always irritated my tendons, especially the entheses (tendon attachment points) but using the therabands or exercises that use gravity but no weight are ok for me for strengthening. so it was a learning curve for me.

and i think i'm the only person on this planet that failed water PT. high stepping and side stepping irritated my SI joint and my hamstring tendons. moving my arms back and forth in the water, especially with the floaties for resistance flared my upper back so bad had trouble laying to sleep for a month after that. also flared the left ulnar wrist ligament tear that i had been slowly healing so nicely. did some other crazy stuff to myself in just a few sessions. and this was with a PT and i warned her before, during, and after about my limitations and being careful, but she thought i was just "out of shape", so kind of ignored my warnings. so telling your instructor may or may not work, depends on what kind of person they are i guess. anyway, we got to a point where really all i could do in the water was walk normally and figured i could just do that on land a lot cheaper and a lot more conveniently and it would be better for my bones as well.

so to sum it up, yes, wouldn't be surprised if you are flaring entheses or some such thing. i know it do if i'm not careful.

i used to be able to swim along with the walking and biking. now i can walk and bike. hope that the flector patch (or maybe a drug) will settle my SI enough that i can swim again. also can do PT / yoga stuff at home (some of it, but never the bridge! evil for my SI! even when i do it properly) and i can use the therabands and exercises without weights (both stretching and strengthening).

but that is my list. i'd say listen to your body and discover your list.

there have been periods of time (at one time an entire year) when i could not even take a walk, thus i feel so fortunate to be able to walk, maybe that's why i love it so much. something i always took for granted, but when you literally can't do it, boy do you appreciate it afterwards.

be careful out there! hrtballon
Posted By: Dow Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/12/10 12:39 AM
For me, that's a tricky question when is too much exercise.

If I don't get enough aerobic activity, I don't sweat enough and don't get the heart rate going, that is the key, because when I do, good things happen, the endorphins kick in, my sacrum and tailbone start feeling better, as they get warmed up with better blood flow.

This may happen even on days when they are in pain, and if I work through it, they can end up feeling much better

but then other days, I can tell after a few minutes on the elliptical trainer, that it's not going to help, I'm not going to reach that "tipping point" and it's better to stop

(really a bummer when I just downloaded a 24-hour rental movie to watch!)
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/12/10 10:46 AM
Hello fitness buddy, Sue cheerleader

Thanks so much for your reply I really enjoyed reading it.

You are a great ambassador for walking! The opportunity I get to walk is with my girls after school - not on my own at my own pace - I am certainly NOT complaining though - I LOVE my walks with the girls it's great fun/exercise for all of us and is my favourite part of the day.

But my class gets me out of the house, out with my friends and insures I actually do some regular exercise. However hard I try to exercise at home, I find I get swamped with household/children/daily routines.

From everyone's hugely helpful input I think I can make the class work for me if I start at snails pace - avoid anything out of my comfort zone and completely abandon any sort of exercise aids whatsoever!

I guess I did not realise my limitations until I reached them (and then some!) It's quite a shock to me to discover that I am not superwoman after all laugh2
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/12/10 11:02 AM
Dow
Really appreciate you sharing how you judge how much is enough and when to carry on when you are exercising - very helpful indeed smile

I keep coming back to the question of:

*Should we always play it safe and wait patiently until we can easily achieve whatever exercise we are doing before, very gently taking it up a notch OR

*Can we ever push our selves like a completly fit and healthy person would do? I don't mean to the point of hurting yourself (like I just have blush) I mean pushing through the pain barrier a little.

From what you have shared I can see the difference very clearly.

You are pushing yourself on to ease your pain in the long run and recognising when you are hurting because you body needs to rest not exercise.

I have been confusing the two things and had not heard my body's protests against what I have been doing until it decided to bellow it from the rooftops at me!

I think once I have let my body rest and recover I can take the slower approach and back off at any sign of trouble.

What you have said has really helped, Dow, Thanks rainbow grin rainbow
Posted By: Tinkerbell Taking everyone's advice on board! - 11/16/10 12:46 PM
I am pleased to report that I went to my gym class last night and came home in one piece!

New Approach:
*I started, continued and finished, slowly at my own pace.
*I paid VERY close attention to my body and what was working and what wasn't (not parts of my body, the exercises!)
*I avoided everything that would put any strain at all on my neck, back and feet (upperbody and arm work, jogging, star jumps, leg lifts etc)

Result:
*I did feel the benefit of some cardio
*I did feel the benefit of some stretching
*I did participate in some of the toning and strengthening exercises
*But I did not push myself hard, strain myself or injure myself in any way!

I can't say enough how much I appreciate everyone's advice! Every single bit has been helpful in my new approach to the class.

As a side note, I have given my doctor a letter with a copy of my DX notes and am going to see him this week to discuss my situation with him - as I have not as yet, registered my condition in this country (don't ask!)
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Taking everyone's advice on board! - 11/16/10 01:52 PM
clap glad you had a successful gym visit! cheerleader
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Taking everyone's advice on board! - 11/16/10 03:18 PM
Well done Tink cheerleader you will be fine just remember your a delicate little flower and have to be careful.

eyelashes eyelashes eyelashes

Kevin
Posted By: EricaK Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/16/10 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Tinkerbell

My main problem areas are my neck (which also causes referred pain in the form of blinding headaches), shoulder blades, lower back, buttocks and feet. All these areas are causing me problems and after my class on Monday I am feeling the worst I have since I started.

Can I actually be making my AS worse here, instead of better?

I don't have the answer to whether you're making the AS worse or better, but you do deserve to feel as good as you possibly can! heart

I've given up the machines at the gym & hiking because my body simply hurts too badly after I do these things. The only way I can exercise without feeling pain afterward is by swimming or with tai chi.

Maybe you could do hot yoga? or deep water aerobics without the ankle & arm weights? yes
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Taking everyone's advice on board! - 11/17/10 09:04 PM
Quote:
glad you had a successful gym visit!

Thanks for the encouragement, Sue!
Very much appreciated grin
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Taking everyone's advice on board! - 11/17/10 09:05 PM
Quote:
Well done Tink cheerleader you will be fine just remember your a delicate little flower and have to be careful.

Aaaawwwwhhhh, Kevin hrtballon
You say the sweetest things!
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/17/10 09:09 PM
Hey Erica

Never heard of "hot yoga" if this term refers to the instructor, then I'm in laugh2

I wish I could swim - but there is no swimming in my neck of the woods out of season, unfortunately. Thanks for giving me some ideas though, I really appreciate it, hon.

However, I think I am doing OK with my class now I have taken some advice from the experts (you guys!!) and put it into practice!

Love you guys heart
Posted By: EricaK Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/17/10 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Tinkerbell
Never heard of "hot yoga" if this term refers to the instructor, then I'm in laugh2

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikram_Yoga?wasRedirected=true

Here you go! I've never tried it, because yoga just doesn't appeal to me. But... I hear it's magic for some. rainbow
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/17/10 09:37 PM
Thanks Erica
I checked out your link, but not sure that yoga is for me either.
I did used to do a yoga class but I have a slight issue with lightheadedness and balance, even in my regular fitness class at times. I think in a yoga class I would be the equivalent of my 2 year old trying to play musical statues!!
Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on the hot yoga mystery for me, you are a sweetheart heart
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/17/10 10:52 PM
I found Pilates far better than yoga. Will need a qualified instructor though - and beginner Pilates, not Pilates using that Pilates 'machine' that is pushed out on the internet (lot of people get the two muddled, invest in the 'machine' and find that they get/can get injured by using!)

Also Tink, vist Manatee (Cindy's) profile, there you will find various exercises specific to AS put together BY Manatee. Very good indeed.

I am presently having physio at the local hospital, doing me a power of good. Have got a lot of mobility back, even neck mobility, which I would not have thought possible. Am soooo pleased. The exercises we are doing are much like to what Manatee has posted. You can find Manatee and her exercises by going to the user section, click on the Ms, and Manatee is about 8/10 person down. Can recommend.

Might even bring the exercises to the attention of your gym instructor and perhaps do a Manatee exercise in replacement of those exercises that are a no-no for you at the gym? Just a thought.

Go well -
Posted By: EricaK Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/18/10 12:59 AM
I am presently having physio at the local hospital, doing me a power of good.

What?!? Yet you're not logging your time into the FITNESS TEAM stats? Molly... no What're you waiting for girl? eyelashes

I knew there were lurkers, but never guessed there was one as cool as our Molly! cheerleader

Go TEAM! clap
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/18/10 01:36 AM
Quote: "What?!? Yet you're not logging your time into the FITNESS TEAM stats? Molly... What're you waiting for girl?"

Didn't think it qualified - I mean, under instruction at the hospital physio dept. Just do a few exercises. One of the physio team also does soft manipulation. He's quite good at it. My tregus to wall has improved as well. Next session on Fri, when I will see the medic as well (he's cute, a real sweetie, though would prob 'shudder' at beng termed 'sweet'...!!)

Still unable to 'march' out as my feet are sooo horrible. But body mobility is improving. Would LOVE to have my own gym setup...
Posted By: EricaK Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/18/10 01:43 AM
Didn't think it qualified - I mean, under instruction at the hospital physio dept. Just do a few exercises.

This is an ANY and ALL exercise fitness team! cheerleader
We have to keep moving to be able to keep moving, right? Stretching is an official KickAS FITNESS TEAM sport as well! yes

Go TEAM! clap
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/18/10 01:59 AM
OK, then I'd better git mesel over to the FITNESS TEAM and report in! Cor.
Posted By: EricaK Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/18/10 03:17 AM
OK, then I'd better git mesel over to the FITNESS TEAM and report in! Cor.

cheerleader clap cheerleader clap cheerleader
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/18/10 11:00 AM
Salut La Moll!

Funny you should mention Pilates - I did hear talk of a class starting up in my area - will keep an eye or ear or both out for this!

Merky buttercups grin

Will check out Cindy's exercises, thanks for telling me where to look.

Quote:
perhaps do a Manatee exercise in replacement of those exercises that are a no-no for you at the gym?

Like this idea a lot - kind of like exercise "freestying"!
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/18/10 11:11 AM
Quote:
What?!? Yet you're not logging your time into the FITNESS TEAM stats? Molly... What're you waiting for girl?

No files on you, Erica! You make one hell of a team leader - if exercise were a political party you would have all the voters eating out of your hand and win every election hands down clap
cheerleader "Erica's Swimming Party" cheerleader V doh any other political party you care to mention doh ... no contest!
Posted By: LATH Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/18/10 02:35 PM
...visit Manatee (Cindy's) profile, there you will find various exercises specific to AS put together BY Manatee. Very good indeed.

Oh...thanks for this! I'm going to add this to my nightly stretching.

...even neck mobility, which I would not have thought possible. Am soooo pleased.

I want more of that too! yes
Posted By: ladybuggie Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/23/10 02:54 AM
Keep us posted Tink! cheerleader
I can only echo what most everyone said which is listen to you body. and modify what you have to modify. When working with intense classes that vary each time it's also good to work up to in least 2x a week...IF possible. It helps even if it doesnt seem that way at the moment. The owner of the KRav I go to used to tell us that. I didnt believe it. But it was true. When we missed more than a couple of classes...you'd back track. Your body would literally be starting over. eyes

I still cant touch my toes...will never be able to. lol. Cant do alot of the stuff. I slow down. I cant do high knee jogging. I cant do alot. But I can keep moving. On the EXTRA bad days I just take it easy. They've talked to us about getting our heart rate up...and thats when you really start to feel your energy level shoot up out of nowhere. Kind of hard to explain. They told us the last 15 min of class where the most important and where you'd burn the most calories. But they also bring us back down properly. Today was one of those days...I thought surely I was in a nightmare. lol laugh2 But afterwards...tired. full of sweat but i felt good. a sore good. tonight i'll hobble. but for one hour i was superbug!

keep up the good work!! proud of you!! luv buggie! hug
Posted By: Tinkerbell Update - 11/24/10 08:57 AM
Thanks Buggie heart

Well the decision about my exercise class has been taken out of my hands now.

Went to see my doctor with my DX notes and he has referred me to a Rheumy. The appointment is in January. He has told me to stop the exercise class for the time being and asked me to drop the NSD until I have the appointment too. He wants a clear picture of what my situation, without anything else skewing results so to speak.

I am trying to walk as often as I can and do plenty of stretching.

I totally agree with you about how missing a class sets you back... and two classes a week are definitely better than one. I hope I can go back to my class again in the New Year.

I am going to post about the NSD thing in the diet section.

Thanks for your support, hon, it means a lot to me grin
Posted By: EricaK Re: Update - 11/24/10 11:31 PM
I have heard that from my sister, that her rheumy wants her to come to her visits as she is. Without any internal or external modification. I hope you take the pain map! Probably I've already told you this, but I took three separate pain maps with me. One for bad days, one for average days, and one for spectacular days. I also used yellow, orange, and red highlighters to make clear where my worst pain spots were. Red worst - yellow least. And I didn't swim or stretch or anything before he saw me. It was weird, because even though I'm ANA+ and my sister has lupus, he zeroed right in on my inflexible spine and sacrum pain. All along I'd been saying my hip hurt, and he said "point to your hip", and I pointed to my sacrum. Then he drew the blood for the RF and HLAB27. The guy's a genius!
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Update - 11/25/10 01:18 PM
Erica, you are fantastic!
Seriously laugh
Have just printed off pain map and have begun filling it in.
Excellent idea to print off 3 for different pain levels as you described - this being such a variable disease and all.
Quote:
It was weird, because even though I'm ANA+ and my sister has lupus, he zeroed right in on my inflexible spine and sacrum pain. All along I'd been saying my hip hurt, and he said "point to your hip", and I pointed to my sacrum. Then he drew the blood for the RF and HLAB27. The guy's a genius!

Thanks so much for passing on this guy's genius to me! I hear everyone talking about where their pain is all the time and I realise that I know even less about human anatomy that I thought crazy I have been googling away and have much more of an idea where my pain is in technical terms now. Thanks for the heads up on this.
Posted By: abhigyan Re: Am I making myself worse? - 11/24/16 07:47 PM
Hi guys,

I have a bunch of questions, some of them admittedly dumb, so brace. I was diagnosed with AS about three years ago and, for the first two, I was on etoricoxib and sulphasalazine (still on). It's a typical case of sacroilitis -- last MRI that happened a year ago pegged it as moderately severe bilateral sacrolitits. In the one year that I have been without the NSAID, I've managed well (zero pain) thanks to exercise, some yoga, a little bit of walking and, occasionally, medium-impact sports like badminton and squash.

However, since I have had to go back to the NSAID recently -- the doctor has advised it to take in bursts of 7-8 days and not just a single dose -- I'm not sure if badminton and squash are advisable. I mean, they seem to put some strain on the SI, among other joints.

I can't recall any incident where the pain exacerbated following a game (also I have never played during bouts of pain), but I don't want to land a fractured joint, truth be told.

And then you have people like Michael Slater, who played int't level cricket despite AS.

In a fix!

Also, how much time does one have before sacrolitis wreaks havoc?
© Kickas.org