Kickas.org
Posted By: moodle Is flax seed low starch? - 02/08/11 08:53 AM
I wondered whether flax (linseed) is low starch as I know its low carb?
If so I found a great recipe that tastes great - A mug muffin

3 tbsp ground flax
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp olive oil
1 egg

Put everything into a mug and mix well (I like to add raisins) honey is great to sweeten and grated cheese is good for a savoury muffin. Pop in the microwave for 1 minute 10 secs at 800w and eat straight away, as you can't store these for later.

Moodle
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 02/08/11 11:22 AM
i think it is, but let others on the NSD instead of LSD tell you for sure.
Posted By: SJLC Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 02/18/11 07:12 PM
Flax seed is mostly fiber with good fats and at most trace amounts of starch. I've been having flax almost every day as hot cereal for many months and it does not put me into a flare like coconut flour did (after only one week frown )
Posted By: keit_nufc1 Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 02/18/11 08:37 PM
I found that flaxseed irritated my gut. I never realised until I stopped using it. It gave me low level inflammation.

I sound like a disciple, but Robb Wolf's paleo protocol suggests avoiding nuts, seeds and eggs in the early stages of fighting auto immune. Similarly John (Dragonslayer) made the suggestion months ago. I can only say that it worked for me. Obviously everyone is different.
Posted By: SJLC Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 02/21/11 06:51 AM
So what's your main source of fiber? I felt really lousy when trying to get all my fiber from salad greens, and was grateful that at least flax didn't send me into a flare.

Also, is the egg yolk problematic according to this theory, or just the whites, which are a common food sensitivity due to being very difficult to digest?
Posted By: Dotyisle Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 03/01/11 08:32 PM
Ground flax seed always flared me and i see you are grinding the flax seed.

I have not tried in 4-5 years as i may be less sensitive. But was very sensitive first couple years.

Tim
Posted By: MOUNTAINBIKER Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 04/01/11 07:03 PM
grinI agree about liking flax. I wonder about egg whites also.I wonder where to find fiber in a LSD?
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 04/01/11 07:13 PM
for fiber, fruits and veggies. even when i ate grains, i needed fruits and veggie fiber, not whole grain fiber. and when i need extra help, psyllium.
Posted By: light Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 04/01/11 07:37 PM
My main sources of fiber (besides leafy greens):
avocado
coconut flour
kombu (dried seaweed)
tahini

I am fruit free (so sad), so it makes things tricky, but I concentrate on eating buckets and buckets of greens and my body has adjusted.
Posted By: MOUNTAINBIKER Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 04/01/11 07:43 PM
Thank you.I love this KickAS sit.Its such a nice thing to be able to Q and A and share. cool
Posted By: MOUNTAINBIKER Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 04/01/11 08:05 PM
I love avocados smileIm lucky to have 2,35-40ft trees in my SanDiego backyard.Ate 1 for lunch with saled today.Ijust got my first coconut flour yesterday and have not tried it yet.Ive had very little kombu and never heard of tahini.Looks like ive got more good stuff to try. Your funny=''buckets and buckets of greens'' i under stand that,lol. thank you laugh
Posted By: Dotyisle Re: Is flax seed low starch? - 04/07/11 03:02 PM
Avocados are out for me, a bit too starchy for me.

But they are great food with healthy fat I believe if you can tolerate them.

Tim
© Kickas.org