Kickas.org
Posted By: hollyz143 Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 01:12 AM
The weather is changing today, big time, and the change is bringing on the pain. We had a gorgeous Thanksgiving. I wore short sleeves and sandals, which is pretty cool for mid-November. Breathtaking blue skies. Awesome.

But the cold front is coming in - quick. It will be almost freezing by tomorrow. From the 80s to the 30s in 24 hours.

I feel broken. I haven't felt this bad since last February when I ended up stuck in bed for a month.

I know it is cold where most of you are. Is there anything I can do to minimize the onslaught of pain when the pressure changes and the air gets nippy? I don't want to become a hermit again.

I missed some the holidays last year, including my birthday, because my back was too hurt to leave the house. That was very bad for me mentally. My kids made memories without me. For me, that's pretty much the worst.

I don't do the "pity me" thing often (not out loud anyway), but this is it...

Anything I can do?

Thanks. And Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Posted By: samzee Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 01:18 AM
I have a hot bath and it helps. I know what pain in weather changes is like, you are talking to one right now! Good Luck
Posted By: hollyz143 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 01:43 AM
Thanks Sammie. I might get the kids to get their crap out of the tub so I can take a bath. It is a minefield in there...
Posted By: Steph Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 02:04 AM
I find changes in weather and barametric pressrue affect me too. In the winter, I have to make sure I don't get too cold, especially at night. (although it's a problem anymore thanks to those wonderful hotflashes blush2 )
and I have a hot tub...it can really help sometimes. And try not to stress too much over holidays...that can bring on more pain and discomfort. I know..easier said than done.
Breathe deep...stay warm....laugh ofen...and try to relax. smirk2

Cheers,

Steph
Posted By: rumble Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 06:37 AM
We had the temp change today in Oklahoma. 80 for a high on Wednesday. 38 for a high today. There is something inherently obscene about that mad. My feet are killing me, legs are killing me and hands hurt. Back isn't as bad, but I've not gone to bed yet. Had to work this holiday, but got in a good lunch before clocking in at 3pm. Going to crank up the electric blanket to warm the bed. yes
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 07:13 AM
i don't think the weather is what affects me, as two years in a row, my worst flares came on in august, no weather changes, no stress, just something cycling in my body.

with that said, a hot shower in the morning, hot bath at night, sitting in the recliner with my heating pad on, all staples much of the year, especially in the cold months. have my eye on the heating mattress pad, someone here, i think bridget, swore by it. and also looking at heating seat for the car.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 10:39 AM
I tend to suffer the most in the hot weather cold doesn't have much affect on my pain.But I'm old and well fused so that probably makes a difference. laugh2

Kevin
Posted By: hollyz143 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 11:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Steph
And try not to stress too much over holidays...

Steph, you don't know my mother in law. Ha! By definition, our holidays are stressful. smirk
Posted By: hollyz143 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 11:24 AM
I wonder if it is the drop itself (the pressure change) that is the culprit. Rumble seems to be feeling my pain too (literally) and we're close neighbors, as far as states go.

During our last hurricane (Ike), I honestly thought I was never going to walk again. My little brother (undiagnosed, but I think he has AS too) was in bad shape as well.

But the cold also seems to seep into my joints. The crowbar pain I've mentioned before. Kevin, maybe you don't feel it so much in the winter because your joints are already fused? Nowhere for the evil cold to seep into?

Anyone else here permanently damaged their skin with a heating pad? My back is permo-blotched now. I can't help it -- the heating pad is my hero. I've got several scattered throughout the house.

Thanks for listening and for the help. Yesterday was pretty bad. Today is probably going to be a doozie. Could be worse -- could be out there shopping with all of the Black Friday shoppers. Insane.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By: hollyz143
Anyone else here permanently damaged their skin with a heating pad? My back is permo-blotched now. I can't help it -- the heating pad is my hero. I've got several scattered throughout the house.

one winter i used the heating pad on my back so much and so high that my skin was all blotchy. worried one of my docs but it actually went away.

the worry i think my doc had was damaging the skin so i couldn't feel as well, easier for a serious burn. but i never lost sensation so figured i was ok, just cosmetically ugly for awhile.
Posted By: samzee Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 12:49 PM
Mine is only when the weather and pressure in the air drop. After the drop has stabilized i'm good. It's a snow day here... buses are cancelled due to the weather (ice and snow).
Posted By: nature_girl Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 07:42 PM
A couple weeks ago I found a cool website called MediClim.com that alerts you to weather changes that are likely to affect arthritis, asthma, and a few other health conditions. It's created by a doctor and meteorologist in Canada and is free. I signed up and get email alert updates 24 hours ahead of a weather change, once or twice a week. I find it helpful, so if I have a busy day planned and I get an update the day before, I can make adjustments in my plans as needed. So far, it's been really accurate.

In Sept. I had a major flare-up in all my affected joints, and I had wondered if maybe the weather change had something to do with it. My rheumatologist agreed. Now I know I need to take extra care going into autumn. It was a drag missing out on Thanksgiving dinner with family yesterday, but I'm just not up to it. The damp, rainy weather we get in the Northwest does have an affect on me.
Posted By: Inanna Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 08:26 PM
I hate cold damp weather. Nothing worse for me. Love hot humidity, can't stand cold humidity. Which sucks, considering where I live. It gets into my bones and won't quit. Hot baths help, steam shower helps, heating pad helps, but really, I should live somewhere warm!!!

Warm hugs,
Posted By: samzee Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 09:21 PM
I'll let you know if I hear about a home in the carribean for us both... We can leave the boys at home to work, and they can visit on weekends~ lol
Posted By: naj Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/26/10 10:25 PM
Brrrr I am so cold! What I'm doing to help: wearing a hat inside, keeping a hot water bottle by my feet, wearing fingerless gloves, drinking hot beverages, keeping the heat on even though I will cringe at the bill later and finally, trying to breathe deeply and move a bit. When I'm cold I notice my breathing gets shallow and I want to curl up under covers. Getting some deeper breaths and some circulation happening, that helps! I'm also going back to acupuncture. Hope you warm up!
Posted By: Gerri Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/27/10 12:42 PM
Holly, sorry how the weather is causing you so much pain. Makaylah, is helping keep my feet warm by laying on them. I wear socks to bed, especially when there is a chance my feet will get cold, because otherwise I am up all night going to the washroom. I am having more pain in my feet, arms, and fingers, as the weather gets colder. My back is always sore. I haven't found the cold weather causing too much in the pain level there.

Hot humid weather causes more breathing problems for me. It also causes me to toss and turn at night, and more pain in my back. Boy am I stiff those days, it seems like hours, before I can get moving, after I get out of bed.

I take that back - my feet are cold and sore - Makaylah had her breakfast, and she decided to sleep beside me - maybe I will try and sneak my feet under her.

Hoping the cold front passes, and you are in less pain.

I think you should get yourself a nice hot chocolate, at least a electric fireplace, and cozy up and let the pain drift away.

Hug
Gerri
Posted By: fonzy Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/27/10 01:45 PM
hi .When the cold gets too much for my acking back,i usually go out and buy a few heat wraps for my back.They last all day and really make my back feel better.You can buy them @ any Drug store.Up here in canada it is really starting to turn to winter.I feel the pain much more now.Wishes i lived in Hawaii or some place warm year round.

Wishing pain free days
John
Posted By: Johninco Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/27/10 07:28 PM
The cold beats me up so badly we're strongly considering becoming "snowbirds" between Northern Colorado and Prescott, AZ.

But any serious low pressure system in the summer hurts, too. I have a stormchaser friend who gives me a call fairly early on summer mornings that look like they might set up nicely for his hobby and asks how I'm doing. He claims I'm at around 85% accurate.

It's nothing any of us want to be notorious for, I'm sure.

All we cand do is try to stay warm, I guess.

Shalom,

John
Posted By: blazr63 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/29/10 01:38 PM
Why go out and fight the crowds when you can sit comfortably in front of your PC and shop? I just use amazon and knock off everything in 20 minutes.

http://tiny.cc/amazon-holiday-deals
Posted By: triathlete Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/29/10 02:14 PM
Oh yeah the old blotchy skin from heat packs - it takes a while but eventually it goes away. As for me, when the pain is bad, I will take relief over a blotchy back any day! smile
Posted By: hollyz143 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/29/10 06:17 PM
Originally Posted By: triathlete
Oh yeah the old blotchy skin from heat packs - it takes a while but eventually it goes away. As for me, when the pain is bad, I will take relief over a blotchy back any day! smile

Mine isn't going away (had it for over a year) but I honestly don't care. It's not like I walk around in a bathing suit 24/7. I'm with you -- relief is more important than a blotchy back. My doc was worried about it but I promised to always use an auto-shut off heating pad (which I turn right back on when it shuts off). If it never goes away, I might get a huge tattoo to cover it up. I've always wanted a big, giant tattoo, so that would give me a good reason. laugh
Posted By: hollyz143 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/29/10 06:18 PM
Originally Posted By: blazr63
Why go out and fight the crowds when you can sit comfortably in front of your PC and shop? I just use amazon and knock off everything in 20 minutes.

http://tiny.cc/amazon-holiday-deals

The upside to insomnia is that I knocked out our Christmas shopping online last week. Boo-yah. My back hurts too much these days to shop anyway. The upside is, I don't have to do the grocery shopping anymore.
Posted By: hollyz143 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/29/10 06:21 PM
John, John, Sammie and Kat,

How about we pool our money and buy a nice shack in Hawaii??? Actually, I don't have any money, so if you can pool yours and get us a place, I'd be glad to live there year-round to make sure it is well taken care of for when the rest of you visit. I don't mind, if it helps you guys out. Hee hee.
Posted By: avonldy Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/29/10 06:22 PM
I just love all the on-line sales, right now. I have most of my Christmas shopping done. I just need to find something for my 16yo granddaughter. She has almost everything I can think of. Maybe I will just give her gift cards at her favorite stores. I just like to have some boxes for her to unwrap under the tree.
Posted By: Inanna Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/29/10 07:54 PM
I'd go for the Turqs & Caicos Islands, myself. Oh my, it was wonderful. Also, the southern Yucatan Peninsula was good for me. Never been to Hawaii (although, it's on my list), but I've heard enough to think it might help, too. grin

Warm hugs,
Posted By: ELoney Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/29/10 08:27 PM
Fortunately the weather causes me no ill effect. Living in Northern Ontario the temperature changes are drastic. Fluctuations can go from 0c to -20 over night in the winter even down to -35c. Maybe i'm use to it seeing I love being outdoors but other wise the weather doesn't seem to do much on my pain levels, thankfully!

Pain and stiffness seem to be very random and like others have said its almost like a cycle my body goes through regardless of weather. Again, Enbrel is helping me out BIG TIME!
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/29/10 11:52 PM
thought of a few more things, reading everyone else's posts for good ideas smile

i have a few small space heaters. keep one under my desk at home. its a vornado, not very hot but maybe that's a good thing.

just bought one by delonghi for my office, the old one broke, and love this one, lots of settings to get the temperature just right.

also thought this foot warming pad might do the trick and not be so energy sucking as the space heaters.

foot warming pad

i also have one of these in just about every color. very light weight and soft and never overheat me, but really keep me warmer than anything when its cold:

orvis "whisper-soft" cardigans

silk long johns also a staple around here. the pants go under my jeans or sweats without feeling bulky or hot inside. have a few turtlenecks too. and scoop necks. its what i prefer to sleep in in the winter, lightweight and comfy but warm.

though the weather doesn't seem to bother my arthritis, like ELoney mine seems to have a mind of its own, set by something internal, or at least i haven't figured out environmental factors yet.

still, i like to be comfortable in the winter and it does get cold up here. i went to school up here before i moved further south. was cold a lot more back then. discovered on my second time back (now) that i just didn't know how to dress for it, and didn't have all these nifty heated appliances. then i just drank a lot of warm tea smile

hope you're feeling a bit better soon!
Posted By: rumble Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/30/10 06:17 AM
Silk long johns are awesome. So light and comfy.

Hawaii awesome if you like lush shrubbery, tropical fish etc. Turk/Caicos awesome with that beautiful, clear water. At this point, with winter looming, I'll take either.
Posted By: avonldy Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/30/10 08:55 PM
I am going to invest in some of these things. This CA girl just can't get used to the cold. This year looks like it's going to be a cold winter. It is starting much earlier then in the past. Guess I will be shopping for long undies and that foot warmer looks good. This cold does not helps my aches and pains.
Posted By: Donette Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 11/30/10 09:45 PM
I figured something really weird out about cold weather and AS. My right knee is swollen up really huge right now, think small cantaloupe size. Last week I had to take my daughter to the orthodontist so I got out of the car to go check her out of school. I had gone from the warm house, to the semi-warm garage, but then outside to go into the school, and the second that cold air hit my knee, it was as if that fluid lost its viscosity. My knee felt solid and stiff instead of squishy. I'm thinking this explains some of the added pain associated with cold weather. I also agree with the barometric pressure theory. With that much liquid in my joints, there's bound to be increased pressure with a weather change.

I made hubby buy me a coat for Christmas last year. It is from Eddie Bauer, knee length, down filled and quilted. I feel ridiculous wearing it. A little bit "abominable snowman-ish" I guess. But that coat with some warm boots on (Keen, Winthrop Boot, water proof, mid calf height) I can just about survive the winter.

Another new thing I am trying is taking two different kinds of anti-inflammatories. All the labels say DO NOT take more than one a-i at a time. But I experimented with it myself, then told my GP and he said, "hey, if it's working, let's stick with it." Yay for sensibility in a Dr. I take 200mg celebrex and a 500mg etolodac (lodine) at night before bed. I have been eating very badly (lots of starch/sugar) and this combo of drugs is keeping me upright and moving this winter. I also take 1-2 150mg zantac per day too, so my stomache doesn't hurt so bad.

It's a bad deal for me to be hooked so strongly on my little anti-inflam cocktail, but it is working so good for me that I can't be brave enough to go off of them. I just like to get out of bed everyday. Is that so bad???? lol.

Take Care.
Thanks for comisserating with me on cold weather.
-Donette
Posted By: rumble Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/01/10 06:33 AM
LL Bean.com has good silk long johns. Wintersilks.com is another online place with good silk long johns. Whoever has the best price would be the best to buy. I found no real difference in quality on the ones I bought last year.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/01/10 07:25 AM
LOL! i had almost posted a link to the LL Bean Pointelle Silk Long Underwear and the Wintersilks Silk Turtlenecks that i just bought but thought i'd already done enough product placement for one day. then you basically typed in exactly what i've come to find are my favorites! that's too funny!

my LL Bean stuff really does seem to last a pretty long time, but i'm pretty careful to wash it in a mesh bag and let it air dry.

and finally bought some stuff from wintersilks. the reason i ended up getting their silk turtlenecks was the variety of colors. very nice under a heavy sweater when a regular cotton turtleneck might be a bit much. glad to know you've had good success with those as well. smile
Posted By: Tinkerbell Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/01/10 08:52 AM
Hi Holly
Everyone giving great advice as always.
Keep warm you snowflake1 very important.
Dressing gown (housecoat??) and scarf on indoors over your clothes might not be very alluring, but they help you not to brace yourself against feeling cold!
Hope you don't have to miss anymore important events, that's miserable, hon.
heart Tink
Posted By: EricaK Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/01/10 04:25 PM
These are expensive, but they're sooooo soft and don't itch at all. Smartwool long undies.
Posted By: rumble Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/01/10 04:46 PM
And the turtlenecks are on sale right now...just got the latest sale catalogue. May have to try one or two. grin

Definitely air dry on the silk long johns.
Posted By: Johninco Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/01/10 08:34 PM
Silken sleepwear? Oh, my...

The mere discussion stimulates the few salacious brain cells I still have. Not that my fused spine will ever again allow those few cells to be satiated frown

(Sigh...) I tell myself that mere cuddling is a wonderful thing on a cold, cold night. And cuddling up to my better half when she's in silk is rather nice, even without satiated salaciousness.

Now for something completely different...

snowflake1 Happy Hanukkah to all! snowflake1
Posted By: avonldy Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/02/10 12:37 AM
I am really feeling the cold today. Actually my hubby keeps the thermostat at 70, but I am still feeling cold. I have legwarmers over my knees, and that is helping my knee pain but my wrists, shoulders ribs and breastbone are all complaining, in spite of taking my Humira, I am still hurting. It makes me wonder if I am beginning to fail the Humira. I still feel better then before I started taking it. It's just that I got used to being almost pain free for a while, and it's hard to go back to hurting.
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/02/10 02:26 AM
donna, i certainly hope not (regarding the humira)!
Posted By: Donette Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/02/10 04:00 AM
Donna,

I'm sorry to hear you are hurting. I've been out of the KA loop for a while, I can't remember if you are one that does/does not respond unfavorably to certain foods but that was my first thought when I read your post. This time of year is like wading through a mine field. My sweet friend brought me a very large symphony chocolate bar that I nearly polished off by myself! So tonight I feel a stabbing pain in my spine, but yeah, I pretty much put the knife there myself. Too much sugar messes me up just as much as lots of bread.

And then I made a double batch of banana bread today. I wish my family would eat it so fast that I wouldn't get an opportunity to have any!

Hope you feel better soon.
Take Care,
Donette
Posted By: avonldy Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/02/10 04:18 AM
So far the only problems I have had with diet is that vegetables with lots of "fiber" irritate my UC. The AS pain has been slowly building up for the last month as I have tapered off of Pred to treat a UC flare. More Pred would probably help the pain, but I don't want to go there. I have Ostiopena and I try to reserve Pred for really serious situations.
Posted By: Donette Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/02/10 04:43 AM
I haven't dealt with any UC type probs yet, but that seems a good indicator as UC and AS seem to go hand in hand for so many of us. I thought maybe your neighbors had already started bringing plates of fudge and white chocolate covered pretzels!

Wouldn't it be awesome (and wouldn't I be rich) if I invented a new Prednisone that made us feel good and had NO side effects??? Ahhhh, the stuff dreams are made of. smile I watched an old Prednisone documentary complete with arthritis patients trying it out when it was first developed. The doctors were so amazed and they shot videos of how they walked up a flight of stairs without the steroid, and then the next day WITH the steroid. It sure seemed miraculous.

Take Care,
Donette
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/02/10 05:20 AM
when i tried it, it seemed pretty miraculous to me too! but knowing what it can do to my bones, etc, it was just for an emergency.
Posted By: JamesB Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/02/10 01:58 PM
Hi Holly,
I get this way too. It doesn't have to be that much of a change in weather to set my AS off either. I usually reacquaint myself to the heating pad and try to keep moving but without overdoing it. A heated mattress pad does wonders for situations like these too, but it's not cold enough over here for me to have one on the bed yet because we got new windows the other year and it helped us out *almost* to the point of keeping all of the weather changes outdoors where it belongs. We used to have a heated mattress pad on the bed year round, but not any more. Now that we just saw our first snowfall in Ohio... it's about that time again. yes

I hope the weather changes you are getting disappears quickly.
Take care,
James
Posted By: avonldy Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/02/10 07:03 PM
I love my heated mattress pad. I keep it on the bed year round for when I have a flare. Last summer I used it for my sore back with the ceiling fan on to cool off the rest of me that didn't need the heat.
Posted By: rumble Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/02/10 08:22 PM
Originally Posted By: avonldy
I love my heated mattress pad. I keep it on the bed year round for when I have a flare. Last summer I used it for my sore back with the ceiling fan on to cool off the rest of me that didn't need the heat.
My husband occasionally opens windows at night for 'fresh air' when it's 40 outside, but he's got his blanket cranked up to 10. And the heater kicks in eventually, so it's a total waste in my opinion. I close the window and he rants. So I do it after he goes to sleep...hahahaha. Dual controls rock!! I'm actually using my side of the blanket now that it's cold. He uses it year round. I got too hot with the tempurpedic mattress to use it a lot, but it's winter now. Great to warm the bed before you get in!
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/02/10 09:07 PM
had to smile a little as that reminds me of me with the heating pad on my upper back and an ice pack on my butt/SI in the recliner.

or if i need to sleep with too much ice, i'll take a hot water bottle to bed to try to even it out.

its kind of funny.....in a sad sort of way!
Posted By: hollyz143 Re: Weather Change = Ouch. Help? - 12/05/10 06:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I've been reading along and haven't replied much, but thanks!!
© Kickas.org