Kickas.org
Posted By: drizzit Son came out of surgery well - 03/25/12 06:07 AM
My son has had AS for about 8 years now and went on simponi when the Rheumy noticed a narrowing in the HIP joints. The goal was to prevent further damage to that area. Well the join stabilized and we have not seen anymore narrowing for a couple of years now on xrays. He decided it was time to clean up the damage. On Tuesday last week he had a Femoral Neck Osteoplasty. The went in and trimmed down the femoral neck and basically ground off the bone spurs and osteophytes to prevent damage to the Cartilage in the hip joint. Doc had to trim up some cartilage and he is on crutches for a couple of weeks. The goal is to prevent a future hip replacement as the cartilage would be destroyed by the bone growth over time. He came through well and we will have the other one done this summer.

Amazes me what we can do these days, In the old days he would be having a hip replacement before he was 40. The simponi is keeping him basically in remission and we just have to hope the bone does not grow back that was trimmed off and that the healthcare law that allows those with preexisting conditions to get reasonably priced insurance in 2014 survives the supreme court and the republican challenge.

Sigh but good news at least short term
Posted By: inkyfingers Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/25/12 06:30 AM
Good news indeed for both the patient and his worried dad! clap

There are all sorts of interesting things that the orthopaedic surgeons are getting up to these days to stave off joint replacement in young patients. Joint drilling, resurfacing....

IS your son on glucosamine and chondriotin? There are a couple of interesting studies going on at the moment where they are looking at prevention of cartilage loss (as distinct from evidence of repair in previous studies) in 'reasonably healthy' joints. Part 1 of the biggest glucosamine trial is in:

Those with mild hip / knee symptoms reported little reduction in pain or improvement in function.... but they have little evidence of degeneration. Those in the moderate and severe categories reported a statistically significant reduction in joint pain and improvement in joint function. Those in the placebo group reported little improvement in either. (some evidence to suggest worsening in some individuals but not to a 0.5 level of confidence yet...)

AT the end of 2012 / early 2013 Part 2 of this study will close and data will be collected and analysed..... They are hypothesising that those in Rx G1 (mild) will still be in G1 after 10 years of glucosamine, whereas as those in Control G1 (placebo) will have progressed on to find themselves now in G2 (moderate pain and dysfunction) thanks to the effects (or not...) of glucosamine therapy.

I'm awaiting the publication of this with baited breath.
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/25/12 08:38 AM
Louise - Very interesting - Do you have a link to the studies? Thanks -

Molly C
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/25/12 06:02 PM
good news indeed!

thanks for sharing.

and thanks for the motivation to go see the surgeons about my bone spurs. while in a different location, i've been advised by some of my other doctors to go talk to a surgeon. just the motivation i needed, thank you smile
Posted By: Skywalker Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/25/12 08:05 PM
Great News. Signed a non-repulican who also believes he's not immortal.
Posted By: Michelle70605 Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/25/12 09:28 PM
Great news!! clap He'll be in my prayers, Steve... hugss
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/25/12 10:19 PM
Non functioning brain today... Drizzit, great news, such an outcome is exciting and heartening. So much nowadays is possible - speedy and full recovery -

Molly C (France)
Posted By: Farinelli Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/26/12 01:14 AM
Hey Drizzit!

Glad to hear your son is doing well. It certainly is amazing what they can do. I hear you about the health insurance. I lost my job and health insurance and now I am paying $500 a month although the coverage is good. It would probably be half that if I was healthy. I would like to see a national health insurance plan myself. Does your state offer guaranteed issue insurance like Pennsylvania?

Craig
Posted By: drizzit Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/26/12 01:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Farinelli
Hey Drizzit!

Glad to hear your son is doing well. It certainly is amazing what they can do. I hear you about the health insurance. I lost my job and health insurance and now I am paying $500 a month although the coverage is good. It would probably be half that if I was healthy. I would like to see a national health insurance plan myself. Does your state offer guaranteed issue insurance like Pennsylvania?

Craig

Montana has a high risk pool for people who can't get private insurance. It is about what you pay although I don't know the coverage as I am still covered by my employer. Son is 23 so he is still on my plan. Thank you Obama for extending that coverage to kids up to 26 years old. Son is in Oregon and I am not sure what that is like although we may find out depending on what the supreme court does here.
Posted By: ValsMum Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/26/12 12:53 PM
Good news he came out ok. Glad he is doing well.
Posted By: Dotyisle Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/26/12 05:48 PM
Thanks for sharing the good news. Hope son recovers quickly.

I am not familar with simponi other than your posts, hope it continues to work well.

Tim
Posted By: stevec Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/26/12 06:13 PM
Somehow I missed this post. I can't imagine your anxiety and glad that all is going well
Posted By: Pea Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/26/12 10:02 PM
Great new's! I'm glad that it all went well. It's great that it was found and they were able to do something not so invasive. Makes me want to consider what they could do for my neck. What a relief. It's hard when you live in one state and your kid's are in another.
Posted By: MollyC1i Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/26/12 10:16 PM
Pea - they can remove the osteophytes from the neck - cervical osteophytes. Surgery is 'delicate', only ever use a surgeon who has a track record in doing it. Also, the osteophytes 'can' grow back again!

Check it out - scares the bejeez outta me!
Posted By: Sue22 Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/26/12 10:51 PM
pea,

that's where mine are. and i'm supposed to talk to surgeons.

but as molly said, they can grow back and a delicate area,

but oh, if we could get rid of them for a little while, how glorious would that be!

anyway, we should compare notes when and if either of us talk with a surgeon hugss

drizzit, let us know how your soon fairs! hope it gives him lots of relief!
Posted By: drizzit Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/27/12 12:10 AM
Thanks all. He continues to do well. One more week of crutches
Posted By: towman Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/27/12 03:15 AM
Hope it keep going good for your son.
Bradford
Posted By: mom2many Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/29/12 12:56 AM
Glad to hear this. Hope the recovery goes well. We live in an amazing time.
Posted By: fonzy Re: Son came out of surgery well - 03/29/12 05:13 PM
It is alqways good to see someone coming along good with disease....i hope your son continues to do well.
God bless him

John
© Kickas.org