Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
drizzit Offline OP
Silver_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker
My son has had AS for about 8 years now and went on simponi when the Rheumy noticed a narrowing in the HIP joints. The goal was to prevent further damage to that area. Well the join stabilized and we have not seen anymore narrowing for a couple of years now on xrays. He decided it was time to clean up the damage. On Tuesday last week he had a Femoral Neck Osteoplasty. The went in and trimmed down the femoral neck and basically ground off the bone spurs and osteophytes to prevent damage to the Cartilage in the hip joint. Doc had to trim up some cartilage and he is on crutches for a couple of weeks. The goal is to prevent a future hip replacement as the cartilage would be destroyed by the bone growth over time. He came through well and we will have the other one done this summer.

Amazes me what we can do these days, In the old days he would be having a hip replacement before he was 40. The simponi is keeping him basically in remission and we just have to hope the bone does not grow back that was trimmed off and that the healthcare law that allows those with preexisting conditions to get reasonably priced insurance in 2014 survives the supreme court and the republican challenge.

Sigh but good news at least short term

Last edited by drizzit; 03/25/12 06:16 AM.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
Good news indeed for both the patient and his worried dad! clap

There are all sorts of interesting things that the orthopaedic surgeons are getting up to these days to stave off joint replacement in young patients. Joint drilling, resurfacing....

IS your son on glucosamine and chondriotin? There are a couple of interesting studies going on at the moment where they are looking at prevention of cartilage loss (as distinct from evidence of repair in previous studies) in 'reasonably healthy' joints. Part 1 of the biggest glucosamine trial is in:

Those with mild hip / knee symptoms reported little reduction in pain or improvement in function.... but they have little evidence of degeneration. Those in the moderate and severe categories reported a statistically significant reduction in joint pain and improvement in joint function. Those in the placebo group reported little improvement in either. (some evidence to suggest worsening in some individuals but not to a 0.5 level of confidence yet...)

AT the end of 2012 / early 2013 Part 2 of this study will close and data will be collected and analysed..... They are hypothesising that those in Rx G1 (mild) will still be in G1 after 10 years of glucosamine, whereas as those in Control G1 (placebo) will have progressed on to find themselves now in G2 (moderate pain and dysfunction) thanks to the effects (or not...) of glucosamine therapy.

I'm awaiting the publication of this with baited breath.

Louise

Happy to be a physio by day, not happy to be a Spondy 24/7! wink3
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Louise - Very interesting - Do you have a link to the studies? Thanks -

Molly C

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
good news indeed!

thanks for sharing.

and thanks for the motivation to go see the surgeons about my bone spurs. while in a different location, i've been advised by some of my other doctors to go talk to a surgeon. just the motivation i needed, thank you smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
S
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
S
Great News. Signed a non-repulican who also believes he's not immortal.

Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Great news!! clap He'll be in my prayers, Steve... hugss

Age 7- Kidney Necrosis
Age 11-Bursitis
Age 14-Costo
Age 17-Psoriasis
Age 32-Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
Age 33-Sacroilitis
Age 35-Interstitial Cystitis
Age 40-AS
Age 44-Fibro
Age 44-PsA
Age 45-MS
Age 46-Sjogrens
Age 46-Raynauds
Age 47-PF
Non functioning brain today... Drizzit, great news, such an outcome is exciting and heartening. So much nowadays is possible - speedy and full recovery -

Molly C (France)

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Hey Drizzit!

Glad to hear your son is doing well. It certainly is amazing what they can do. I hear you about the health insurance. I lost my job and health insurance and now I am paying $500 a month although the coverage is good. It would probably be half that if I was healthy. I would like to see a national health insurance plan myself. Does your state offer guaranteed issue insurance like Pennsylvania?

Craig

drizzit Offline OP
Silver_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Silver_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Farinelli
Hey Drizzit!

Glad to hear your son is doing well. It certainly is amazing what they can do. I hear you about the health insurance. I lost my job and health insurance and now I am paying $500 a month although the coverage is good. It would probably be half that if I was healthy. I would like to see a national health insurance plan myself. Does your state offer guaranteed issue insurance like Pennsylvania?

Craig

Montana has a high risk pool for people who can't get private insurance. It is about what you pay although I don't know the coverage as I am still covered by my employer. Son is 23 so he is still on my plan. Thank you Obama for extending that coverage to kids up to 26 years old. Son is in Oregon and I am not sure what that is like although we may find out depending on what the supreme court does here.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Good news he came out ok. Glad he is doing well.

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Carol Sinclair
by mosconi411 - 05/15/24 03:04 PM
Slippery elm poweder and Klebsiella
by mosconi411 - 05/13/24 06:24 PM
AS Patient from Hyderabad. Need dietary tips
by turndream2real - 05/13/24 03:59 AM
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
What's news since Alan Ebringer 2013 ?
by Ako - 12/22/19 05:10 PM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,372,780 hmmm
1,326,179 OMG!!!!
713,929 PARTY TIME!