It's been five years since my friend Eric Pomo passed away. I miss him, and still think about him often. Especially this time of year.

Eric had severe AS, but it didn't have him. I met Eric and his wife Heather in August of 2000. Pete, Steve, DeAnn and I went to his home here in Utah since he was unable to come to our party. He made himself my friend the instant I walked through the door.

I learned a lot from Eric in the short year I had with him. Eric put people at ease about how difficult his condition was with humor. Eric was able to laugh easily at his AS, himself and me. He mostly laughed at me, and I was the recipient of much of his humor. I believe Eric truly loved everyone.

I've been fairly poor about incorporating any of what I learned with Eric into my own life over the last five years. I'm often consumed with the mundane, and trying to control things to be as I want instead of working with how they are. I don't make time to enjoy the small stuff, and instead spend weeks pining, planning and looking forward to the bigger stuff, that never fully satisfies.

I share this with you to remember Eric with those of you who knew him, and to introduce him to the newer KA members. You can read about Eric in the KA memorial section here.

“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourself out. Be as I am a reluctant enthusiast…a part time crusader, a halfhearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it… while you can. While it is still there. – Edward Abbey