Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Actually, it wasn't off topic. The fact that you make an assertion that "the system here doesn't work well at all" leads one to believe that you are some kind of indisputable knowledge base on health insurance in the United States. Whether speaking of individuals with health insurance or those who are "satisfied" with their health insurance, it's relevant, especially when you state that the "system here doesn't work well at all". Nothing you've posted in your reply is factual as you've cited no sources and it is clearly a regurgitation of what has been lapped up from the mainstream media sources (agents of the state) and the politicians. I'm not wanting to start some long drawn out thread, and I had no interest in responding to your post until you got off (your own) topic by stating your opinion that the "system here doesn't work well at all" because it is currently not working out for you.

Personally, whether you choose to believe it or not, I'm happy that you can are able to see a doctor in an attempt to get some help. I'm happy that many will be able to get much needed health care (although at the expense of others in many cases).

Lastly, I'm not whining about not getting my way. I recognized the need for some changes to be implemented in the United States health care system. There are some good ideas contained in the developed legislation, but the efforts in D.C., in my opinion, are disingenuous at best. I'm one of the fortunate individuals that see the macro-level schematic (big picture) and see what additional burden this entitlement program heaves upon this country. Additionally, why does our health insurance system or anything else for that matter that this country does need to reflect or measure up to systems in place in the rest of the world? This is the United States. There was a reason that this country was different from the others. However, in the last 20 years I recognize this country less and less. I'm sure these changes were in motion long before that, but I can only cite what I know/have experienced. I've perceived such a change that I'm strongly considering leaving it's borders for elsewhere (no, Canadian members, you do not need to concern yourselves that an undesirable like me is attempting to take residence in your country). At least that destination country will have better health care since they have had some practice and experience. It's basically all the same, isn't it?

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson
P
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Originally Posted By: Jaybird
...I'm strongly considering leaving it's borders for elsewhere (no, Canadian members, you do not need to concern yourselves that an undesirable like me is attempting to take residence in your country). At least that destination country will have better health care since they have had some practice and experience. It's basically all the same, isn't it?

I hear Costa Rica is nice, lol.

Thanks for agreeing that it is a good thing that I and millions of others finally get health care, and you're right, there are many good things in this law. Like any new major reform there will be bumps in the road, but these will be addressed as they come up.

AS Czar
AS Czar

Ok, Pete--CONGRATULATIONS!

Quote:
I can't tell you how happy this makes me. In just 180 days I'll be able to see a doctor about my AS and perhaps get LDN to help with the pain or perhaps something stronger!

The question I have is why wait?

Doctor visits cost less than insurance premiums.

And as I understand the way the new system will work is that medications will be partially (50%?) covered in 2011. So, if You waited six months to go to a rheumatologist and (s)he gave You a prescription for, oh let's say they want to prescribe a good drug like Enbrel (which has a great track record over LDN, perhaps), would You take the Enbrel?

For example, Your disease is not treated now, but You will wait until say October 2010 to go to some doctor and then fill the prescription in January 2011?

These are not rhetorical questions, but I really want to know how this thing is going to work, because insurance is still fairly expensive.

If I believed that LDN would help me, I would go out right now and get LDN! Doctor or no doctor. I'm free to make my own drug choices and I do--either via mail or I cross the border into Mexico. I haven't yet checked out the prices in Tijuana on Enbrel, but I'm sure they are reasonable. And You could order naltrexone online even. I just ordered antibiotics from a place in Nicosea, Cypress, since I broke my foot recently and did not want to walk across the border and too cheap to take the park and shuttle bus.

So I don't know how long this "health" (my health only deteriorated after I began seeing doctors...and taking their advice and meds; I hope Your experience is much different) giveaway will last, but usually--by the time every kid gets on the merry-go-round with nobody left pushing--it slows down then stops altogether.

Regards,
John

P
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Originally Posted By: DragonSlayer

Ok, Pete--CONGRATULATIONS!

Quote:
I can't tell you how happy this makes me. In just 180 days I'll be able to see a doctor about my AS and perhaps get LDN to help with the pain or perhaps something stronger!

The question I have is why wait?

Regards,
John

It's more than the LDN. I'd like to see how far my AS has progressed, get x-rays, etc. That will cost money. Plus, having insurance, I'll not have to worry about getting sick or injured or anything that would require another doctor's visit/trip to E.R./surgery/etc. As I mentioned before, I'll pay the premiums, I just want coverage so that I can be like most of you and get the health care I deserve.

It's a good point though.

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i don't even want to calculate the thousands upon thousands of dollars i'd be paying if i didn't have decent health insurance; between doctors visits, PT, and drugs (copays) and my premiums, i already spend hundreds to several thousand a year out of pocket, but at least i can afford it. without insurance it would be prohibitively expensive. and that's not even counting if something catastrophic were to happen. thus i understand completely why this is such a relief to you.

during my "relatively healthy" periods without PT or too many doctors visits, i probably pay less than $1000 a year (mostly for my drugs (arthritis is just one thing to contend with, many of us have other health issues), but in the years when things fall apart, PT adds up very quickly, and every time i seriously mess up a tendon or ligament, there is often a scan involved, sometimes cortisone injections, periodic trigger point injections, etc. and since they are still trying to figure out what kind of arthritis i have, blood work and scans.

others might think i am milking the system too much, and maybe they have a point? but if i weren't this proactive, i honestly believe that i wouldn't be well enough to work, and thus i'd be more of a drain on the system than i am now. i'm just really thankful that i have the health insurance to share the load, and am thankful that now others will have the same benefits that i've been so fortunate to have.

it would be nice if diet and exercise alone worked for all of us, and i certainly make them a part of my health plan, have pretty much my entire adult life. i remember naively thinking in my 20s when i watched all the health problems my parents and grandparents were battling, "if i just eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, i won't end up like them". but unfortunately, diet and exercise alone are not enough, sometimes genetics is a hard thing to beat.......

ok, time to go take my walk!

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
J
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
J
Pete

Of course you realize that your coverage will not be free?
All Americans will be required to BUY into health care and those that do not will be"fined"
But at last Health care will be available to anyone regardless
of a pre-exsisting condition. My daughter tht has no insurance will now be covered on my insurance with an increase in premiums.... Nothing is Free!!!

Dow Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
I'm already beyond my $2000 out of pocket deductible for the year, and it's not even April!

Dow
eek2

glad you won't have to keep spending that kind of money the rest of the year!

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
A brief warning for anyone thinking of buying cheaper drugs online. A woman on our island died last year from contaminated drugs that she bought online. Be careful that you are buying from a reliable source (I'm not an expert so don't know how you figure that out when purchasing drugs via the internet).

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil
P
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
Originally Posted By: jarent
Pete

Of course you realize that your coverage will not be free?
All Americans will be required to BUY into health care and those that do not will be"fined"
But at last Health care will be available to anyone regardless
of a pre-exsisting condition. My daughter tht has no insurance will now be covered on my insurance with an increase in premiums.... Nothing is Free!!!

I have no problem with that; I'm not asking for a free lunch. But you do realize that those unable to pay will get subsidies that will allow them to get the coverage they need, so for some it will be free.

And as for the "fine" for not getting health care coverage, my understanding is that those who do have coverage get a $750 tax credit, while those without health care do not -- it will not be an out of pocket fine.

And as far as premium increases, when 2014 arrives (it may even be earlier) the exchanges put into place by the new law will prevent insurance companies from doing what they have been doing since day one: raising rates 20, 30, 40% each year.

Trust me, I wanted so much more. I would have loved a Canadian style package, or at least a public option, but it just wasn't doable this time around. Who knows what the future holds, but at least it's a tremendous start, a big first step, and so much better than the status quo, and I can't wait to have the right to purchase health care coverage (please, take my money, lol).

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 36 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Chamomile tea can reduce inflammation
by L33 - 07/26/22 11:20 PM
Best Gym Equipment to have
by L33 - 07/26/22 10:10 PM
Ankylosing Spondylitis is curable
by Sudhir - 07/24/22 07:34 AM
Let Us Know You Dropped In!
by Magician - 07/15/22 05:46 AM
Numb fingers, nerve pain
by Stevenage69 - 07/12/22 11:06 AM