Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#413198 09/20/10 12:15 PM
S
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
S
Are there any AS members out there who had a Hip replacement and the implants used were the faulty ASR DePuy types?
Love to hear from you

Regards

Sean

Presidential_AS_Kicker
Presidential_AS_Kicker
Hi Sean,
I had my hips replaced 20 years ago and I have no idea what brand they were. Actually I don't think I ever knew what brand they were. Thanks for bringing up this topic of Depuy though, because I get my hips re-evaluated again this morning by a surgeon, to determine whether or not I am due for new replacements after a course of physical therapy for my hips. I might not need my hips worked on right now, because the therapy has helped well enough to an extent, but my hips still tell me that day is coming soon.

HLA-B27+, JRA diagnosis in 1981, re-diagnosed as AS in 1988. Also iritis, colitis, and psoriasis. NSD + low carb helps me. My health makes it hard for me to post in a timely way.
S
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
S
Hi James
Your my 1st hit on KickAs
Hope your consultation when ok & that u don't need those hips replaced yet. But if u do then keep away from DePuy products!
I had my right hip totally replaced & now it all has to come out and be replaced by some other manufacturer.
All I was trying to find out was if there was any link between AS and generally bad hips. But u & I are the only ones so far!!

Keep the faith
regards

Sean

K
kevin_A
Unregistered
kevin_A
Unregistered
K
Hi Sean,
Yes hip replacement is common in spondys several on here have had replacements. I suffer lots of pain in my hips but surgeons say I'm not ready for replacements yet but will need them at some point.

Kevin

Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
hi sean i also have had hip surgry on my right hip and am on the waiting list for the other one to be done im 31 years of age and allways thought this was quite young untill i heard of others younger than me with as having hip trouble my hip was fine one day i was walking fine and then in the space of 1 week it completely went horribly wrong and it was only this that promoted me to seek help and that then enabled the docs to dx me with ankyspond.Its much better now and im on enbrill which has had a really good impact on my stiffness.Thats [*bleep*] you have to have a replacement replaced lets hope they get it right this time around good luck ma8

Apprentice_AS_Kicker
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
hi james good to hear the therapy is working..how old was u when you had them replaced twenty years is good shelf life for false hips is it not? especially if you was quite young when having them done.i suppose your the one to ask when it comes to hip surgry youv been there done that and brought the t shirt fair play to u in your as battle

Presidential_AS_Kicker
Presidential_AS_Kicker
Hi Neil,
I was 19 when I had them replaced. They needed replacing equally but they replaced them 6 weeks apart since they didn't think I had enough blood to replace both at the same time. Yes, 20 years was the rough estimate of hip replacement life back then. I'm guessing that estimate will be even longer these days. I should be hitting the 21 year mark right about now since I already turned 40 this year. It turns out my surgeon thinks I still have at least another year to go too... woohoo grin
Take care,
James

HLA-B27+, JRA diagnosis in 1981, re-diagnosed as AS in 1988. Also iritis, colitis, and psoriasis. NSD + low carb helps me. My health makes it hard for me to post in a timely way.
A
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
A
The newer replacements should last much longer. There have been so many advances in both the materials and the design. I have both knees replaced and I expect them to be trouble free, other then perhaps replacing the spacers, when the become worn.

Donna
Cherish your yesterdays,
Dream your tomorrows,
But live your todays.
Do the very best you can
leave the rest to God.
God Bless,
Presidential_AS_Kicker
Presidential_AS_Kicker
Hi Sean,
That must be awful to have it all taken out and done over again in short period of time. mad

When my next surgery comes around (postponed for now for at least a year), my surgeon said he wants to attempt to only replace the worn cups, either by using replacement parts (if we can identify them before then, and if they still exist) or use custom molds, because the rest of the hip parts look to be in great shape. He said the custom molds are better for older people though, because the lifespan generally aren't as long, and are more used for a last resort type of replacement. I won't have to worry about replacements for another year he said. The therapy helped my hip pains out alot.

Yeah, as Kevin was saying, hip problems are a common problem with AS patients. It is said that AS primarily targets the spine and SI joints (because they are the most common targets among AS patients), but in reality it can effect any joint in the long run.

There are a several of us here who have had a hip or two replaced. Not too many people go on to needing to have hip replacements though.

Take care, and good luck on the operation.
James.

Last edited by JamesB; 03/10/11 07:40 PM.

Presidential_AS_Kicker
Presidential_AS_Kicker
Oh thanks for mentioning that, Donna. We must have been replying at the same time because I didn't see your reply at first. My surgeon also suggests replacing the worn cups in my hips, which I think are somewhat like having the spacers replaced in your knees(?).
Take care,
James

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM