Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Just in on an RSS feed, and caught my attention. This (quasi)follows Ebringer`s work on those sneaky Kleb devils

They might have got the little stinkers nailed - and with all the inherent fall-out, better than massive doses of doxycycline / fluoroquinolones etc antibiotics. Wonder what side effects from FMT might appear months / year or two down the line !

Drug-resistant bacteria in the gut overcome with fecal transplant
Dangerous drug-resistant superbugs happily co-exist in the gut but can be eliminated by fecal transplants
Date:
September 3, 2015
Source: PLOS
Summary:
The gut is an important reservoir for drug-resistant bacteria responsible for life-threatening hospital-acquired infections. A study in mice reports that two of the most common antibiotic-resistant bacterial species circulating in hospitals occupy and effectively share the same location in the gut, and that they can be eliminated by fecal transplantation of a healthy gut microbiome.
The gut is an important reservoir for drug-resistant bacteria responsible for life-threatening hospital-acquired infections. A study in mice published on September 3rd in PLOS Pathogens reports that two of the most common antibiotic-resistant bacterial species circulating in hospitals occupy and effectively share the same location in the gut, and that they can be eliminated by fecal transplantation of a healthy gut microbiome.
Eric Pamer, from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, USA, and colleagues, investigated the interactions between vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium (VRE) and multi-drug resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae in the intestinal environment. Together, the two pathogens are responsible for about 10% of serious hospital-acquired infections in the US. Both can colonize the gut and spread from there, to the same or other patients, to cause localized or systemic infections.
Using a mouse model of intestinal colonization, the researchers first asked whether intestinal domination by either VRE or K. pneumonia would provide resistance against colonization by the other pathogen. They found that VRE and K. pneumoniaeoccupy the same intestinal sites and neither compete nor synergize with each other upon dense colonization of the mouse gut. While peacefully co-existing, the researchers found that the two pathogens differ with respect to stimulation and invasion of the colonic mucus, suggesting that they reside in distinct niches that satisfy their specific metabolic needs.
It is known that transplantation of feces from healthy mice can eliminate VRE from the intestine of densely colonized mice and, in humans, fecal transplantation from healthy donors can cure patients with certain pathogenic intestinal infections. To determine whether fecal transplantation can clear K. pneumoniae and concurrent VRE and K. pneumoniaeinfections, the researchers colonized mice with VRE and K. pneumoniae concurrently and then treated them with fecal microbiota transplants (FMT) or a sterile control solution on three consecutive days.
They found that VRE and K. pneumoniae levels were similar in the feces before FMT administration and remained elevated in mice that received the sterile control solution. In contrast, following FMT treatment, K. pneumoniae density in fecal pellets decreased within one day and became undetectable within 7 days in all mice. VRE, on the other hand, was cleared in 60% of the mice and reduced by a thousand-fold in the remaining 40%.
The researchers conclude that their findings "uncovered previously unrecognized features of VRE and K. pneumoniae colonization and provide insight into the nature of pathogen coexistence, dissemination and ways to eradicate colonization." "Current efforts," they say, "are focused on the identification of commensal bacterial species [i.e. the components of the healthy fecal transplant] that mediate clearance of antibiotic-resistant bacteria."
Story Source:
The above post is reprinted from materials provided by PLOS. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.
Journal Reference:
Silvia Caballero, Rebecca Carter, Xu Ke, Bože Sušac, Ingrid M. Leiner, Grace J. Kim, Liza Miller, Lilan Ling, Katia Manova, Eric G. Pamer. Distinct but Spatially Overlapping Intestinal Niches for Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus faecium and Carbapenem-Resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae. PLOS Pathogens, 2015; 11 (9): e1005132 DOI: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1005132

PLOS. "Drug-resistant bacteria in the gut overcome with fecal transplant: Dangerous drug-resistant superbugs happily co-exist in the gut but can be eliminated by fecal transplants." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 3 September 2015. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/09/150903144404.htm>;.[b][/b]

cat

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
OP Offline
No. Your remark is a non sequitur. It does not claim to be. Is still at the mouse stage.

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
OP Offline
Your `statement` is a non sequitur - leads nowhere - IOW, was a pointless statement !

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
G
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
G
Molly,
Sounds promising thanks for posting smile
x

NSD almost all the way
No dairy hard cheeses occasionally and homemade ghee
Still trying to work out what makes me tick and what makes me drop

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi
OP Offline
Yes - looks like it may be a useful way forward. I sent it to my gastro as we were discussing this last week. He says that following diagnostic protocols, we could be looking to use. We`ll see. Will post updates as and when... <smile>

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By louisay
if its not a clinical trial its irrelevant

disagree completely. Many of this type of study leads to clinical studies/trials and provides a foundation of future research and treatments. would also point out that there are treatments used by doctors based on anecdotal evidence and their experience in the field that do not have complete clinical trial evidence either.

A rheumy in Portland Oregon is beginning to treat as patients with fecal matter transplants, pending FDA permission, based on small studies like you are ignoring above.

Last edited by drizzit; 09/07/15 07:31 PM.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
Thanks for posting this Molly. I read about fecal transplant helping those with C-Diff. C-Diff is deadly .
I got a MRSA staph infection after a stay in the hospital when I gave birth to my son. My health was fine up until that point,and about a year and half after the staph infection I was diagnosed with RA. Part of me thinks it was the infection or the heavy antibiotics that made me prone to get RA, its just a hunch.

I think of it this way, the abx got rid of all the good and bad bacteria and then the bad bacteria took over and my body was so sick it could fight back. OR the infection never went away and my body needs to heal to get better. The only thing that seems to help is eating raw veggies with some chicken. I am sensitive to so much food its unbelievable smirk

Hope you are doing well. How have you been lately?
How is your AS?
Take care Molly
hugs smile

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By louisay
I agree, truth is I would have it done tomorrow, its just the stem cell thread was infiltrated by people saying it's not a clinical trial and therefore doesn't count as evidence:

https://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=512461&page=1

no reason to derail another thread is it?

problem with stem cell therapy today is the huge amount of fraud and fake treatments out there and there are a lot of them. People should be cautious and skeptical and especially of out of country treatments. This thread contained no promises for people unlike the one for stem cells. huge difference

Last edited by drizzit; 09/07/15 10:00 PM.

No families take so little medicine as those of doctors, except those of apothecaries.

Oliver Wendell Holmes
As you may remember, I've been a very strong advocate of fecal transplants; my rheumy and I even discussed them and he too likes the idea for spondy.

but too, I started having questions. I know how successful they are for those who contract c diff. but those people started out with a healthy gut microbiome that got sick. But I presume that I've had an unhealthy gut microbiome since I was a young kid, maybe since birth? maybe since i got sick as a baby? but definitely before I started school...I remember the prune juice at that young age when my brother and sister didn't need the stuff.

Anyway, I taught my infectious disease course this past spring and we did a week on gut microbiome. Read some excellent papers, which I can post the links for here if you are interested, and they talked about better success with young children than with adults who've had an unhealthy gut microbiome for a long time.

and then i read this, which may have been linked here initially...don't remember who shared it...maybe it was even you molly? anyway, I would love to see it work well on crohn's patients, etc..we'll see...i think its hopeful but the jury is still out....

http://thepowerofpoop.com/why-fmt-doesnt-always-work/

the fact that its worked so well and been so safe for those with c diff increases the odds that the FDA will allow it for others..always hopeful smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
OP Offline
Louis Quote - "without clinical trials people may look into trying it"

Clinical Trials - Worldwide

USA and Canada

Europe

Australia and New Zealand

International

- See more at: http://thepowerofpoop.com/resources/clinical-trials/#sthash.LTJDJv03.dpuf

http://thepowerofpoop.com/resources/clinical-trials/

And for the record, Research -

http://thepowerofpoop.com/resources/fecal-microbiota-transplant-research/

----------------- #

Louis Quote - "But this thread says there is potential for Kbsiella to be eradicated by FMT" The information posted *indicates, correctly, that FMT MAY be a way forward

Louis Quote - "you and Molly have also said that without clinical trials people may look into trying it"
Please indicate where I have used those words...

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 41 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis
by Missalicia - 05/25/22 05:38 AM
New recipe website from Janneke
by DragonSlayer - 05/10/22 05:03 PM
Looking for help dealing with Heartburn
by Magician - 03/11/22 11:15 PM
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Electromyography (EMG) test
by Magician - 10/01/21 04:03 AM