Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
http://www.arthritis.org/boswellia-oa.php

A resin extracted from the herb Boswellia serrata has recently been touted as a treatment for arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. Studies have found that the most biologically active component in the herb is 3-O-acetyl-11-keto-beta-boswellic acid (AKBA). This compound inhibits the action of 5-lipoxygenase, which is an enzyme involved in the biochemical cascade that leads to inflammation.
To enhance the effectiveness of Boswellia resin, an extract was developed that increased the total concentration of AKBA to 30 percent from 0.5 percent in unenriched resin. The company that created the extract funded a study to determine the safety and effectiveness of this enriched compound (called 5-Loxin) on the symptoms of osteoarthritis (OA).
Siba P. Raychaudhuri, MD, of University of California Davis Medical Center, holds a current Arthritis Investigator Award from the Arthritis Foundation for a project involving nerve growth factors and their involvement in psoriatic arthritis.
An international research team, including Arthritis Foundation-funded scientist Siba Raychaudhuri, MD, was compiled to conduct a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of the compound. A total of 75 people with mild to moderate knee OA were selected and randomly assigned to one of three groups: 25 people received 100 mg/day of the enriched extract; 25 received 250 mg/day of the enriched extract; and 25 people received a placebo.

All participants were assessed for pain and physical ability before the study began and again after seven, 30, 60 and 90 days of treatment. Synovial fluid was collected from the participants’ knees at the beginning of the study and again after 90 days’ treatment.
Both dosage levels of 5-Loxin improved pain and physical ability scores between baseline and 90 days. These improvements were statistically significant when compared with the changes seen in the placebo group. The group receiving the higher dosage showed a greater improvement than did the lower-dose group.

When analyzing the synovial fluid obtained before and after treatment, it was found that both treatment groups had greatly reduced levels of the cartilage-degrading enzyme matrix metalloprotease-3 (MMP-3), and this effect was greater for the higher-dose group. The MMP-3 level in the placebo group, however, remained virtually unchanged from day 0 to day 90.

Laboratory tests were performed throughout the trial to evaluate safety. None of the parameters tested yielded significant changes in the treatment groups compared with the placebo group. Five of the 75 participants withdrew from the study due to viral infection.
The authors summarize their results, “5-Loxin significantly improved joint function and exhibited better therapeutic efficacy at 250 mg/day than at 100 mg/day; it reduces pain rapidly, as early as after 1 week of treatment; it reduces levels of the cartilage-degrading enzyme MMP-3 in synovial fluid; and most importantly, 5-Loxin is safe for human consumption, even long term.” Dr. Raychaudhuri goes on to conclude, “Our clinical trial has demonstrated that 5-Loxin is effective and safe. Thus, this will be an additional option to the currently available pain management for osteoarthritis. [b]It is likely 5-Loxin will also help the patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Currently we are extending both laboratory and clinical studies to investigate how effective it will be in RA.[/b]”

Sengupta K, Alluri KV, Sathis AR, et al. A double blind, randomized, placebo controlled study of the efficacy and safety of 5-Loxin ® for treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Arthritis Research & Therapy 2008; July 30.

------------------ cat

Fell over this yesterday, was noted in a recent publication by a top rheumatologists, who wrote that hopes were high for its use in treating OA and then RA. One thing, I am going to try and get hold of this 5-Loxia (extract from Boswellia). Wonder if one could grow/make ones own extract... Hmmmmmmm. (It might even treat the arthritis in me feet !)

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
OP Offline
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2007/mar2007_report_boswellia_02.htm

Ancient Herb Suppresses Inflamation -

BUT - Not only, but also... 5-Loxia *also good for Crohn's and for IBD/IBS.

http://www.wellnessresources.com/search/index.php?zoom_query=5-Loxin&x=14&y=5
A suppler of - except not on its own only mixed in with other herbs etc etc.

But, am ordering from the following people :-
http://5-loxin.com/?page=find5&sending=1 - they do not sell direct to the public...

Run around. 'Eventually' found a site that sells the 5-Loxia 'without' other herbs etc added in... My old friend iHerb.com...!! Here ya go guys :-
http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-5-Loxin-75-mg-100-Veggie-Caps/7443?at=1
Very pleased. Will order up tomorrow. Know iHerb and they are trustworthy. BTW, 5-Loxia is good for arthritic dogs as well as - Hmmmmm, wonder if any good for horses...

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Effective and safe wow I love that! Let us know Molly, how it works for you! It sounds very promising. Fingers crossed!

Iritis first diagnosed in 1991, presently recurrent and steroid resistant.
Tested HLA B27 positive in 1996.
AS diagnosed October of 2011.

Putting most of my eggs in the NSD and exercise basket, using only TENS, massage, heat and ice, and NSAIDS (sparingly) for pain. Drops for iritis as flare necessitates. Looking back I feel I would have been diagnosed with AS years ago, if I had found a rheumy earlier than 2011.
Thumbs Up give Molly!

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 85 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,611 hmmm
1,323,790 OMG!!!!
712,248 PARTY TIME!