Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#378466 02/24/10 05:07 AM
Deborah Offline OP
Platinum_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Platinum_AS_Kicker
laugh Hello Fellow AS Kicker's

Just wondering if anyone has had a Baker's cyst on their knee joint. If so, what did you do for treatment and what works best for this condition. I have had a sore knee since December 2009 which is not going away. My rhuemy said it was a Baker's cyst and to ice it etc, etc. Seems like there is always something to contend with. This is minor but a nuisance. Quite painfull at times. Any ideas or input would be appreciated. Thanks! Debbie

We cannot direct the winds, but we can adjust our sails!
Superior_AS_Kicker
Superior_AS_Kicker
My wife has had a backers Cyst on the back side of her knee for 6 or 7 years. It has not bothered her pain wise and the Doctor did not seemed concerned about it, hope your pain goes away.

Hi Debbie

I spent a lot of 2008 and 2009 with a swollen painful knee and a bakers cyst. I was unlucky enough that the bakers cyst ruptured about 3 times- not a nice experience! I think I am correct that a bakers cyst only goes once the underlining cause goes ie. the swollen joint is no longer swollen. Mine still niggles but not so that I do anything about it.

When it was really bad I used ice but to be honest the relief was only very temporary. I took a lot of very strong painkillers which was the only thing that made the pain bearable. In the end I had my 4 knee drains and steroid injections before I had any
control and the pain went. I understand you can also gave the cyst removed by surgery.

I think therefore to treat the bakers cyst you need to protect your knee as much as possible and then hopefully the bakers cyst will go or at least stop causing you too much pain.

Upsydaisy

L
LAK Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
yikes.. sounds awful. i had a painful lump on the back of my knee too. it wasn't as bad as yours. my rheumy said he recommends either draining it or injecting it with cortisone. i was too chicken to choose. luckily it got better.

LAK

Deborah Offline OP
Platinum_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Hi Smed,

That is a long time for your wife to contend with a cyst on her knee. Glad it didn't give her grief. Mine I actually can't feel the cyst, just have lots of pain. The only way I knew what it was is because my rheumy diagnosed it. Anyway, last year it was planter facisitis, this yr. a knee cyst. What next??? Thanks for your reply, at least I know I am not alone.
Debbie

Deborah Offline OP
Platinum_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Hi Upsydaisy,

How did you know it ruptured? The thing is my knee is not really swollen, it just hurts. It doesn't ache, it just hurts when walking or getting up after sitting. The pain is all in the back of my knee. I've tried icing it too but like you say it is only temporary. Cortisol shots have never worked for me in the past so I doubt they will work now. I have been using an anti-inflamatory cream on the back of my knee but it really hasn't helped much either. Soooo, guess I will have to ride this one out. I was wearing a knee brace but it didn't seem to do much and I read it could irritate it more so I stopped using it. My reumy also said to up my shots of humira and that it might go away so that will be my next move I suppose. Thanks Upsy. Debbie

Deborah Offline OP
Platinum_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Platinum_AS_Kicker
Hi Lak,

How long did it take to get better? Did you do anything in particular to get it better? So far everything I have done hasn't helped at all. Glad to hear yours is not bothering you anymore. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Lak.
Debbie

Hi Debbie

When I was first told I had a bakers cyst I was told to go back if it ruptures. I asked the same question and the answer was ' you'll know' and were they right. I was told the pain is thesame as a DVT. The whole of your calf swells and you have agonizing pain from the back of your knee all the way down your calf. Walking was very difficult. I hope you never experience it. I think I just over did it. I was very busy at work, my boss was on holiday and I had to go in, when I should have been at home resting.

Upsydaisy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!