Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
finnari #385161 03/30/10 03:43 AM
Hey Finnari,

What Whole Foods do you shop at in Phoenix... I used to live in Chandler and work in Tempe for 5 years... there was a Whole Foods I used to shop at in Tempe and a Trader Joes in Chandler. I also liked Sprouts.

Best to you,

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
finnari #385168 03/30/10 05:45 AM
Gold_AS_Kicker
Gold_AS_Kicker
Hello there

No, Carol uses almond not coconut in her book as far as I could see. Could this be because her diet is more aimed at IBS and coconut flour is super high-fibre? Perhaps it is not IBS friendly? It doesn't affect my AS symptoms, but if I eat a lot I find I have a little trouble going to the toilet (sorry if that's too much information!)

I have made the cookies twice - the first time they were really crunchy on the outside and softer in the middle. The second time they came out more like coconut marcaroons. I didn't have any brown sugar though, so maybe that made the difference the second time, I don't know. I did like the crunchy batch better I must say!

You are so right though - they add a new dimension to all meat and veg!

KickAS and help others do the same!
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Tinkerbell
Hello there

No, Carol uses almond not coconut in her book as far as I could see. Could this be because her diet is more aimed at IBS and coconut flour is super high-fibre? Perhaps it is not IBS friendly? It doesn't affect my AS symptoms, but if I eat a lot I find I have a little trouble going to the toilet (sorry if that's too much information!)

I didn't have gut problems with coconut flour, and i'm sufering from rectocolitis and AS both.
But probably we respond diferently, depending on our own body

PS. it takes a lot to learn how to use it, my wife had several tries before making a good apple pie with it. Now we're stuck at sour cherries pie smile but we'll manage :))

Last edited by Alinus; 03/30/10 01:52 PM.

34. Some rheumys say AS stage 1-2 some others say USpA
Also UC - rectocolitis.

UC curently in remission since feb 2011.
AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

Modified NSD/SCD. Cook your own !

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
finnari #385504 03/31/10 09:54 PM
Originally Posted By: finnari
I noticed she didnt mention coconut flour or coconuts for that matter in her book. unless I missed it?

Her book was published several years ago now. Coconut flour is kinda a recent thing so that's why she hasn't mentioned it. It may have been around for a while but it wasn't widely used or well known.

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
Alinus #385506 03/31/10 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Alinus
my wife had several tries before making a good apple pie with it. Now we're stuck at sour cherries pie smile but we'll manage :))

ooooh ooooh ooooh! PLEASE post your wife's apple/cherry pie recipe. I have Bruce Fife's book Cooking with Coconut Flour and he has recipes for "pastry" but I am wary to try them. A lot of his recipes are actually disgusting despite his claims that they are delicious. there are only a few recipes in the whole book that I use. I made one of his cake recipes and it had 12 eggs in it and is just tasted like egg....ewwwww gross.

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
Dotyisle #385508 03/31/10 10:17 PM
F
finnari Offline OP
Veteran_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Veteran_AS_Kicker
F
Originally Posted By: Dotyisle
Hey Finnari,

What Whole Foods do you shop at in Phoenix... I used to live in Chandler and work in Tempe for 5 years... there was a Whole Foods I used to shop at in Tempe and a Trader Joes in Chandler. I also liked Sprouts.

Best to you,

Tim

I used to go to the one in tempe but they built an even bigger one in chandler. Since I live in chandler it's really awsome they have it there. They have so many choices of products there it's mind boggling. After shopping whole foods its hard to go into a regular supermarket.

Kiwi #385573 04/01/10 05:54 AM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By: Kiwi

ooooh ooooh ooooh! PLEASE post your wife's apple/cherry pie recipe. I have Bruce Fife's book Cooking with Coconut Flour and he has recipes for "pastry" but I am wary to try them. A lot of his recipes are actually disgusting despite his claims that they are delicious. there are only a few recipes in the whole book that I use. I made one of his cake recipes and it had 12 eggs in it and is just tasted like egg....ewwwww gross.

so lets hope my translation is ok for this recipe:

so for the dough you need:
eggs - 9
honey - 4 spoons
coconut flour - 11 spoons
1 small ampulla of vanilla essence
1 half spoon of sodium bicarbonate.
mix those thinbs with the mixer/blender until you have a omogenous paste.

now for the apple thing:
apples 2 kilos (whateever you like but they must be succulent)
Must rasp'em all (with or without peeling them before - if you don't peel them you'll have more arroma inside the pie).
1 small ampulla of rum or vanilla essence
honey - 2 spoons.
butter - 1/4 package

what to do:
mix the apples and those things that comes with them.
put them in a pot and cook them until they get really soft - be carrefull not to burn them - the butter must get into the apple...

get a baking tin that's big enough to hold all this.
smear the bottom with some butter.
cover the bottom with cooking papper (i don;t know the exact translation for this one, it'a papper that's used for cooking, not the aluminium stuff, just some special papper). smear it with some butter too.

put half of the dough on the bottom.
put the apple mix over it and cover it with what's left of the coconut dough.

be carrefull - the coconut dough can crumble verry fast - so strech it using a spatula you use for salad or something.

leave it in the oven until it reddends.

pull it out and leave it about 2 hours, then you must turn it upside down (be carrefull with this...) so that the upper dough side can moister too.
leave it some 3-5 hours so that all thing can moister.
i usualy eat it the next day - because the coconut stuff is verry dry from it's nature and it takes some time to moisturise.

bon appetite...

probably you will need to work on it several times before you'll make it to your taste smile

Also UC - rectocolitis.

AS/USpA remission march-aug 2011. Flare - sept-nov 2011 (antibiotics). Remission now...

And the list of my medication has become verry short after some years on this diet smile
Alinus #385708 04/01/10 10:01 PM
Thank you so much for the recipe! I'll have a go...may take a few tries.

Chelsea smile

[Linked Image]
Kiwi #385743 04/02/10 06:32 AM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Ninja_AS_Kicker
i hope you'll like it

Also UC - rectocolitis.

finnari #387706 04/13/10 07:58 AM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Originally Posted By: finnari
......Do you have whole foods around where you live?

Or go to America grass fed beef.com (something like that). Or I have used eatwild.com

hey, just finished watching "food, inc" thought it would make me want to go vegetarian, but rather it just made me more motivated to find alternate meat sources.

we're good with the fruits and veggies for the most part. our grocery store sells a lot of organic of those. and living in upstate NY, surrounded by small local orchards, farm stands, nurseries, etc, and know a lot of these farmers, enjoy talking with them.

but meat has been more of a challenge, but our grocery store does sell organic chicken, tried it tonight, and it was wonderful! so chicken dilemma solved, i think.

yeh, i miss whole foods, we had one in maryland, and i loved it. had a food coop where i could buy better meats in virginia. but up here, our natural foods store doesn't have a meats section or much of a produce section, mostly packaged foods and a bulk section, so i get what i can there but meat is still a dilemma.

interesting that after the documentary, as i was trying to find internet sites to help me navigate to grass fed animals, etc, one of the best sites i came across was that eatwild.com site. have some good leads. we also have a local public market and there are a few small scale farmers there who sell meat, think next time i will take a cooler with me and get some meat in addition to the fruits and veggies we get.

as for healthier fish, i watched this TED lecture on better fish farming, and found it really fascinating:

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_barber_how_i_fell_in_love_with_a_fish.html

thanks for this information!

and if you know of any other links to help us further, greatly appreciated.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,208 hmmm
1,323,581 OMG!!!!
712,074 PARTY TIME!