Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Rather annoyingly I have had a flare up on the weekend. I thought it was going away on Monday after starting on Borax again, but then when I did some squat exercises in the early evening I enraged it almost instantly and since then its not been the greatest. I knew I was in trouble from the 1st squat as it didn't appear some muscles were working properly and I felt weakened. Last 2 nights I've been waking up 10 times a night never comfortable and when I turn it hurts. As a result I don't sleep very deep. Everything feels wound up tight.

I'm thinking of taking a dyclofenac at lunch today before my exercises tonight and knock it back a bit. Its hard work putting my socks and shoes on at the moment. Tonight I'm planning on doing my exercises and then eat quite a lot of fried Potato with my roast chicken afterwards! I'm not so sure this isn't just a normal flare up after being off dyclofenac for nearly 3 weeks. I used to get variations in flares when totally starch free as well.

However, I did drink a beer on the weekend (which I don't normally but it was offered already open and I didn't want to disappoint) and I did eat a fair amount of basmati brown rice (I normally eat white basmati). And then I did also eat a small desert my wife had made (using almond flour) for guests which contained baking powder. Ha...bit of a silly weekend perhaps.

Anyhow, I find once inflammation gets to a certain level I need a pill or 3 over the next few days to get it under control again.

Onto Borax....I've resumed my 1/8 teaspoon per day and no headaches or nausea this week. I might just ease back on the borax and get back to a more normal dose next week (around 12mg boron per day I think). It doesn't seem to help reduce flares.

Time to order some soil based probiotics.

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Took a dyclofenac with lunch yesterday, within 3 hours my inflammation had dropped massively and I had a good intense session of weights later that early evening. Then finished off with a nice meal of Chicken breast, Potatoes, sweet Potato and Brocolli and bacon salad. Slept well and feel great. I also had Potato Starch with lunch thinking I would try to time it 3-4 hours pre workout. Seemed to have done something. I felt great and was able to lift heavier.

http://instagram.com/p/oRedmVpYtY/

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
C
C
Ooh CoatTails, I'm really sorry you're feeling so poorly. Sounds miserable. Are you still taking the potato starch or giving it a break?

C
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
C
Enbrel was enough to loosen Chuck Norris' lasso from around my spine and the eye drops worked almost instantly. Not to worry but appreciate your sympathy. I gave the pstarch a week break or so but then came back hard and heavy. 4 tbs/day mixing in little bits of banana and plantain flour and 3 of each of the three different kinds of probiotics. I'll do that for ten days and then space them out afterwards.(as per R.Nikoley's recs.) Belly pressure went away along with the gas not too long after. I feel getting back on it hasn't made a difference as far as my iritis is concerned.

The old sock and shoe game, hey Dlee? I have one pair of shoes that are unrealistically tough to get on. Putting them on recently made me realize the state I was in. Frustrating for myself in that the pain levels(albeit briefly) were some of the worst I've ever had.. I'm finally gaining weight, my complexion is better, digestion and bm's are perfect, my body composition is almost exactly where I want it to be. I think that's why I was so shocked that after everything I'd done and progress I've seen elsewhere, that it didn't seem to make a lick of a difference when it came to managing my AS symptoms.

I'm currently on a hunt for starchy foods that don't bother me, if there are any? White potatoes cooked and cooled cause way more pain than sweet potatoes but yams induce the least so far. Maybe they all do but the biologics just make me feel less pain? Does anyone else notice a better tolerance to certain kinds of starchy foods vs. other ones? You've been eating quite a few potaoes, Dlee. Is there an amount threshold that you've noticed at all?

I was pumped up to see a pic of you squatting 6 plates on each side at the 2014 AS Olympics wink but that link is broken. Where were the games held this year?
If you re-post it, now anything less than 6 plates will be a HUGE disappointment. And unacceptable smile

D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
I'm not sure on thresholds yet. There could well be a threshold I'm thinking but like everything, hard to know for sure. I have been eating larger and larger amounts of Potato's on my workout evenings. Inflammation has gone up a bit but early days to know for sure. I'm not so sure about rice so taking a break from that and will re-introduce it a bit later again. Its easy to start eating large amounts of carbs again if you don't watch yourself and I still want my diet to be predominantly low carb. I caught myself eating them just about every night (which I wanted to for an experiment on tolerance) but would be easy to continue on with that if you let yourself.

I think now I just eat them for post exercise glycogen replenishment....and because they taste so damned good and good to add some variety back in. I'm not eating them for the RS really. I get the RS from Pstarch mostly.

Yeah I'm about to order some probiotics myself. Just waiting for more funds to come in.

no no that wasn't a pic of me squatting huge amounts of weights. I'm not there yet. Maybe after a year. That was a pic of what I ate that night which was a nice chicken breast, brocolli and bacon salad and a decent serve of fried potato and roasted sweet potato smile

D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Have you noticed deeper sleep and more vivid dreams CoatTails? Especially with those probiotics?

C
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
C
I've been on eating a small yam or small sweet potato every day now as well. I take my sweet time on those bites. Fried, roasted? Way more classy than my shoving a weeks supply of potatoes in the oven. I find myself low carb regardless of what I do. It's tough to eat 100- 200 carb grams from berries every day. I've been trying to add about 4-5 scoops dextrose daily to make up for the lack of carbs but it's just too sweet. Really good though with coconut flakes, egg yolks, cocnut flour, lots of ccnt oil, vanilla and raisins. I just mash it all together and pop them in some strangely shaped ice cube trays. Freeze them. Eat them cold. I'm so deprived that those are actually really delicious for me!

I don't have the intense dreams like before but I do get a deep sleep. Still waking from pain but maybe not moving AT ALL for 7 hours is partially the culprit. I don't feel that the probiotics change anything sleep-wise. I've been doing them(with 4tbs RS) at hour 15 of my 16 hour fast. No issues at all. I exercised yesterday, didn't fast and took the mix 30 mins before my breakfast. I got really gassy but no discomfort this time around. Timing and/or food intake makes a big difference for me.

Are you able to order prescript assist etc. in New Zealand? They won't ship it to Canada but I can drive over to The States in less than an hour.

D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Yeah I can get Prescript Assist in NZ, and the other one just not the AOR Probiotic 3. But I can always order them on Amazon as well I just hate the waiting for it to arrive.

I'm watching my carb intake a little at the moment due to a rise in inflammation requiring daily dose of NSAID. I'm wondering if that has more to do with the cold temperature drop as winter arrives and also like you, I have a job where I sit 8 hours a day which never helps. So back to eating maybe 150-200 grams of Potato 3 times a week for now after exercise. I continue with PS @ 4 tablespoons daily.

Recently I have started taking 2 of the 4 tablespoons of PS about 3-4 hours before exercise. It seems to give me a huge boost during exercise although still working on that theory.

C
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
C
1 yam hasn't been bothering me but 3 small yams(1lb) are too much.
Pstarch hasn't been causing any pain.
I'm pretty sure the banana flour was a big factor in my mystery pain levels too.(and possibly uveitis?) I eliminated all potential factors and got rid of the pain(added enbrel tho) Added back the banana flour and the pain came back.

I'm done with my 10 day onslaught of pro-b's. From now I'll just do 1 pill of one of the three types per day. If they haven't "stuck" by now I doubt they ever will without changing something beforehand. I'll switch up the amount/times etc. of pstarch from here on too.

I'm not gonna give up on this angle for a while yet but aside from the initial uncomfortable gas and bm regularity, I haven't noticed many differences, better or worse. I'm a firm believer in the fact that it takes a LONG time to even slightly recover and try to keep that in mind to keep me from being discouraged.

Has anyone else noticed any positive effects in relation to your spondyloarthropathy from pstarch/ pro-b?

D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
I have taken taken any probiotics yet other than buying a local fresh Sauerkraut. I haven't as yet noticed any improvement in levels of inflammation. Seems wander around a little as per how it always has but never really bad unless I'm off my NSAID's (at the moment I'm on them).

However, I have noticed massive improvements in other areas like sleep quality, mood regulation, bowel motions, and energy levels when doing lifting exercises. Just a better overall sense of well being.

And it has helped me to expand the foods I eat. Last nights dinner was a whopping 550 grams of boiled Potatos, roast chicken and gravy. Followed up by homemade dark chocolate coconut milk icecream, and a couple of coconut flour chocolate chip cookies with it. Pig heaven! I wanted to really spike my insulin. Cookies and cream....I'm doing this every workout night now. As many boiled Potatos as I can eat and cookies and cream. Then in between, back to high fat, low carb and intermittent fasting.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ali113), 57 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,636 hmmm
1,323,810 OMG!!!!
712,260 PARTY TIME!