Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Hi Mark, just wondering if you ever tried the diet again? There seems to be a lot more people trying this diet now and they are also finding that it helps them. I am trying it after literally everything else has failed, I'm 1 week in, but as you say it could take months if this disease is really linked to gut malfunction and bacteria.

M
Mark55 Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
M
Hi Spiderpidge, sorry I only just saw your post here. I haven't tried the diet again beyond the 6 month first try and 3 month second try.

Since then I have found that cold / ice baths after exercise are able to stop me from having flare ups, although I have to do them every 2 days for about a week after any exercise to stop a flare up from happening. Also there are limits to the exercise I can do, squats in the gym seem off limits for example, and will cause me to flare up even with ice baths.

Personally I wasn't brave enough to try exercising (my trigger for SI / hip inflammation and pain flare ups) until I was 3 months into the diet - However it might have started working well before that time. Honestly if I were you I would stick with it and do it very strictly - that way you know if it can work for you or not, and that remission is at least possible by some means.

For me the diet remains an emergency option. I know that if the inflammation and pain ever becomes unmanageable by other means I can go on the diet at least. The degree to which my symptoms completely disappeared (both times I tried it)is still very shocking to me, nothing else has ever come close.

In the end I found the diet too monotonous, expensive, and anti-social to pursue long term, along with the fact it's obviously extreme and there may be health implications/imbalances from eating giant steaks every day smile But as an AS sufferer you must know how terrible it is to be in pain all the time, and what that means for your life and health overall. Personally if forced by circumstance I would not be too upset about having to be on the diet, being pain free is just worth that much.

I know my response is 2 months late and I'm sure you've read the thread, but here are my tips for anyone else that's curious:

I made bone broth to drink at night when I couldn't sleep, due to my energy levels remaining high at night
Take a vitamin complex and eat some beef liver and other organ meats - vitamin levels on my bloods were totally normal when tested by my doc
Try and find a meat wholesaler / butcher to buy from, rather than supermarkets, much cheaper
You'll need to eat fatty cuts of meat to get enough calories, don't be afraid of it. Trying to eat 2-2500 calories a day of lean meat would be a nightmare

Would you mind sharing the reports you've seen of other people having success with the diet? Thanks!

Good luck with it and please report back on your progress smile

Last edited by Mark55; 09/23/23 07:53 PM.
S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Hi, I too have only just seen your reply as I don't log on very often and must not get notification to my email.

I am still on the Carnivore diet and believe it is working well and helping me greatly. I believe humans are perfectly adapted to the carnivore diet even though we have not evolved carnivore traits like other mammals, I believe this is because we used tools, weapons, fire and had no need for our bodies to develop, sharp teeth, claws and very strong jaws etc... Humans are Apex predators and yes we may be omnivores because we can also digest vegetation (fairly poorly I might add), but I believe that in our evolution, over millions of years, we have eaten predominantly meat and fat and bones. There is a reason we are short of 9 essential amino acids, and various nutrients only found in meat, B12 etc... Basically meat, fat, offal and bones has literally everything we need to survive and thrive and the same can't be said for a vegetarian/vegan diet without some supplementation or factory produced products. Humans lost the ability to convert fibers/vegetation into the 9 essential amino acids amino acids, because we were eating a lot of meat for million of years after we climbed down from the trees.

There is no doubt in my mind that I am best suited to this diet, but genetically it may not suit everyone. My IBS is gone, bowels and movements seem to now be exactly as they should be. My AS is dampened by a lot, I would say at least a 70% reduction in overall pain, but I have other issues (MS, fused neck) that this diet may not resolve. I am still having flares of iritis and my knee recently swelled for a couple of weeks but these flares are becoming less frequent / aggressive. Fatigue has also been reduced, although the MS does contribute to this and therefore probably will never go away. I also sleep really really well now and my anxiety has gone from 100 to probably I'd say normal levels. My weight has increased from 70kgs to 75kgs since starting Carnivore and I lost a lot of fat. So I have gained a good amount of lean muscle and it shows, both visibly and with the amount of weight I can lift.

If you add enough variety in your cooking and diet, it can work long term and doesn't get boring IMO. I also eat organic eggs and sheep/goat yoghurt and cheese. I have daily fruit of apple and blue berries, just to ensure I get Vitamin C and some fiber. I love how I feel on this diet and would not go back to eating the standard western diet.

Have a look on Youtube at Dr. Anthony Chaffee and Dr. Ken Berry. This is where I first heard about this and they also follow the diet, Chaffee is very strict with it, although neither of them are AS sufferers. Many of their followers say the same thing as we have found, they just feel better on the Carnivore Diet. Also Mikhaila Peterson and her dad Jordan are big proponents of this diet.

Good luck with it and I'll keep this thread alive with updates probably every 3 months or so.

New_Member
New_Member
I just found out about Thiamin (vitamin B1) and how important it is... if I eat 6 quality eggs daily that should fill the void but too bad its not packed in meat.

youtu.be/6hVxtbzn-oA?t=1301

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtxidvNWsk [youtube.com]
https://www.nutritionwithjudy.com/dont-eat-just-beef

this is also interesting.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Arashi; 01/08/24 06:51 AM.
S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Thanks for sharing this, the right hand picture is basically what I eat daily, min 4 eggs a day for me and ripened cheese also has some folate, yoghurt/fish has thiamine and a single apple and handful of blueberries for Vit C. Just had latest blood test done and my CRP has come down to 19 from 90. All my other bloods are in range and getting better with every 3 monthly test, my red blood cells and haemoglobin are the best they have ever been and the fatigue is decreasing slowly.

When I first put this diet together I knew that meat only does not provide everything, hence the addition of egg, cheese/yoghurt (sheep/goat only), oily fish and butter. I still call this diet carnivore because 95% of it is animal based.

Last edited by Spiderpidge; 01/13/24 02:35 PM.
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
I rotate from carnivore to low starch and include a fasting protocol. I keep to 0 most days now

Where your mind goes your life follows
HLA-B27+
Dx'd 2011
manage with diet and supplements
604 Offline
New_Member
New_Member
Hello, everyone. I started the lowest possible starch diet,8 months ago, when I felt like I was on the verge of death and the improvement was spectacular. However, I was not able to get rid of a significant part of the swelling, both in my back and in my right eye, so I had to eliminate food, I remember starting with lactose, then with apples, dates, almonds, cauliflowers, cabbages, onions and garlic, coconuts, and I think I will also stop eating zucchinis. The path is leading me to the carnivore diet, I think the only vegetables I have left are lettuce, broccoli and blueberries and I am not sure that these three foods are safe for my body. I'm a little overwhelmed by eating only animal foods, but if this is the only safe path for me, I'll follow it. That said, I want to share some information that works for me and which, I believe, has not been talked about. First is that when I cook poultry or fish (I only eat those types of meat) I do not cook at high temperatures,to avoid the creation of carcinogenic compounds, called heterocyclic amines (HCA) and polycyclic aromatic carbides (PHA). I said that I only eat meat, poultry and fish, in addition to very cured sheep or goat cheeses and a lot of eggs and mollusks, because I avoid eating pork, beef or sheep/goat, because these meats contain a sugar called Neu5Gc, which our autoimmune system recognizes as foreign and makes a specific antibody to attack this sugar, the problem is that our body It also has a molecule very similar to Neu5Gc, called Neu5Ac, in such a way that our autoimmune system is not able to distinguish the molecules and attacking the foreign molecule from pork, sheep and beef, it also attacks the Neu5Ac molecule, that is say attacks our body. Some years before starting the low-starch diet and before having eliminated pork, sheep/goat and beef, I had a very worrying inflammation of the gums. When I discovered the information presented above, I started eating only poultry. fish and mollusks, and the gum inflammation disappeared from my mouth in a very short time. I think that if we are going to be eating a large amount of meat, it is worth avoiding the Neu5Gc molecule. Take care of yourselves.

Last edited by 604; 04/21/24 12:52 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,368,712 hmmm
1,323,856 OMG!!!!
712,286 PARTY TIME!