Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#520643 05/25/22 05:38 AM
M
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
M
Hello, I have ankylosing spondylitis and my son has Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis.
He had covid about 3 weeks ago and a couple of days ago his uveitis symptoms started up again. He's only had uveitis once before, a couple of years ago when he had a large flare-up and as a result was prescribed naproxen which he still takes. He's currently on steroid drops and dilating drops to treat the uveitis.
I have a few questions.. Does anybody have any thoughts about whether him having covid could have triggered this 2nd bout of uveitis. Has anyone else experienced a flare up of any kind after getting covid?
Or have any of you who get uveitis noticed a link between any specific foods and a uveitis flare up? We are careful with diet but he's 14 and it's not so easy to control what he eats these days.. the last few days he's eaten foods containing msg, and I'm also wondering if anyone has noticed a link between msg and their uveitis?
Thank you very much smile

Missalicia #520644 05/25/22 06:48 AM
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hi Missalicia, I don't think we've spoken before.

I lived with recurrent bouts of iritis for decades. My first was when I was 18, but I wasn't diagnosed yet and my parents thought it was the photogrey in my glasses lenses making my eyes too sensitive to light. Fast forward ten years and I had it for two years. It leap-frogged from one eye to the other and I got conjunctivitis, as well. I still hadn't been diagnosed with AS and they didn't think to test me for it, because back then 'women didn't get AS'. In fact, because I'm seronegative, I was told I would never get arthritis. I was diagnosed in 2001 and battled it a few times in the next few years. My last bout was six weeks in winter/spring of 2005. I started on Remicade that August and have not had uveitis since.

It's hard to say what can trigger this. I don't know of any food triggers, but that's me.

As to whether Covid brought on the flare of iritis, it's possible from the very quick search I just did, but not likely. They really aren't sure. The studies I found were extremely limited. And as to MSG ... I found nothing with a link between the two.

I have read some articles talking about the link between food triggers and iritis. There might be some foods your son is sensitive to. You might take a look for articles surrounding that and see if anything resonates.

Problem is that like all our symptoms, iritis flares. It can flare for any number of reasons and we may never know why. All you can do is follow the treatment plan and hope to wean off the steroid drops slowly enough that there isn't a rebound.

I'm really sorry your son is dealing with this. 14 is far too young.

Love and light.

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Inanna #520646 05/25/22 10:54 PM
M
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
M
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. That must have been so awful living with iritis for that long. I'm glad to hear that it hasn't returned since you started having Remicade.
I'll do some more research into people's food triggers for uveitis.
Sending gratitude, peace and warmth to you
From Alicia

Missalicia #520647 05/28/22 12:05 PM
Alicia, it's my pleasure. I remember what it was like to be struggling for answers and trying to find a way through. Your son is lucky to have a mom who cares so much.

Love and light.

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

1 member likes this: Missalicia

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 41 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Uveitis again and I miss you guys!
by Magician - 01/20/22 05:14 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,180,321 hmmm
1,239,598 OMG!!!!