Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#516526 01/30/17 12:55 AM
stevec Offline OP
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
There is a lovely lady named Cristina somewhere amongst the many many ASKickers here. She would ask a weekly question and her questions and the many wonderful answers they elicited often provided me with their own source of medicine.

I always found solace and perspective in the thoughtful replies.

So many folks coping with AS around the globe who could feel justified in surrendering always impressed me with their enormous dignity, courage and more than anything else concern for others here.

Recently on multiple occasions total strangers placed in positions to observe me interact with others have approached me to tell me for no particular reason how much they appreciated how I dealt with folks. On one occasion an individual who I thought to be rather contentious and uncaring surprised me and took time to tell me how I was an example he pointed out to others dealing with adversity.

My spine is very fused and bent. None of these people were likely to have approached me if I was battling cancer or some less visible ailment or if my AS wasn't as noticeable.

Yet there they were,total strangers taking their time to share a kindness.

So my question is

Has your AS ever opened a good window into your life?

I note, I have contempt for my AS and think small victories as those above are mine, yet AS is part of me and sometimes acknowledging a positive avenue made available helps me cope and grow.

Thank you for any replies. Even if to say that I am crazy and all things associated with AS are the bane of your existence

L-R: Julianna, Jamie, Diane and Tonimarie

stevec-they also serve who stand and wait
stevec #516530 01/30/17 02:15 PM
F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
O.K. so obviously if I had a choice I would choose not to have A.S.
But some of the better things in my life came about directly due to my having A.S. I have over the year met some very lovely, interesting and intelligent people in Rheumatology clinics. I would never have met my wife of over 40 years if it was not for my having A.S. I gave up work at the age of 33 due to my A.S. As things turned out I became a househusband one of the best things that I ever did. This enabled me to play a much more involved part in bringing up our two children. I am now 70 years old and have had A.S. for over 55 years. As with most things re. getting older my A.S. is getting no better but what the hell we have to play the cards we are dealt and get on with life. No doubt A.S. has changed the way I look at life. Some of it for the better some for the worse who can tell certainly not me.

stevec #516534 01/30/17 07:22 PM
I
Titanium_AS_Kicker
Titanium_AS_Kicker
I
Hello Steve, the odd Englishman here....

Think we had a very big post on a similar question some years ago, seem to remember your saying that given the chance you would be rid of AS 'in a heartbeat'. Mig and I waxed lyrical about how lucky I am a propos the surgery and how peculiar her hair is!!!

I suppose well held views and perceptions change over time. I enjoyed a euphoric few years post-surgery and during the writing it all down bit. So in a way I was grateful for it then. Now, I am older, AS has returned with spite and venom and like you, a heartbeat would be too slow to be rid of this thing. On balance though I have been lucky in my outcomes and fortunate because of AS to meet here some lovely people. Special Mig of course, Snow-shoe, Wendy and your rather kindly, intelligent generous spirited self, (those triplets must be ancient by now). Thank you for this question, it has given me pause.

How goes the soccer coaching?

Last edited by ineptwill; 01/30/17 07:25 PM.
stevec #516535 01/30/17 08:28 PM
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
The one good thing that came from my diagnosis is that I try not to put off doing things. My thought is I may not be able to do this later so I have to do it now.

AS may stop me from running later in life so I had better run now.

I applied that theory not only to running, skiing, scuba diving, sky diving, vacations etc...

The first thing I did after getting an MS diagnosis was buy new skis. I thought I had better get my skiing in while I still can.

Steve Orchard, Running from AS & MS
stevec #516537 01/31/17 07:59 AM
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, Steve--

Regret that AS is my raison d'etre; I had to learn that it is AS continually reminding me of my karma from a distant time. That makes the answer easy: "Why me?" was answered; AS was mine to overcome and I did, if very late (slow learner).

HEALTH,
John

#516542 01/31/17 11:54 PM
stevec Offline OP
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I too am sure that my AS impressed upon me the importance of being very involved with my daughters.

I never thought someone would say that AS was the impetus for them finding a spouse.

Very nice to read that. I think we've had folks here new to AS fear that AS would impede them from ever getting married

Thanks Frederick

L-R: Julianna, Jamie, Diane and Tonimarie

stevec-they also serve who stand and wait
stevec #516545 02/01/17 01:34 AM
M
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
M
I stepped into a new career and was open about my disease. A good friend dying of cancer turned my life around. Then I found this place, the people here are never far from my thoughts. I may lose the battle someday, but as Steve says I am doing all I can do now.
ETTE.
Darrel.

ineptwill #516546 02/01/17 02:03 AM
Dear Inept Alan, I know you like to appear incorrigible but you are really rather a sweetheart!

Last edited by WendyR; 02/01/17 02:04 AM.

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil
stevec #516547 02/01/17 02:09 AM
I am trying to find something positive that came out of my RA. The best thing is that it is, for now, in drug-induced remission. Getting two replacement hips came out of it as well but, as they haven't given me any special bionic powers, I'm not sure they are a bonus either.

Possibly the best thing is I have a better understanding of how much pain I am capable of dealing with and yet carrying on (that British stiff upper lip stuff) so I'm actually less afraid of pain of pain than I was. I'm also very good at managing pain meds as necessary and tapering off them successfully. So I'm also not afraid of opioids either. Although those are weird things to see as successes, I realize they have freed me up to face getting older without worrying about how I will cope.

Wendy

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Methotrexate, Celebrex, Plaquenil
WendyR #516549 02/01/17 11:46 AM
I
Titanium_AS_Kicker
Titanium_AS_Kicker
I
Incorri...... Incorrrig..........................dirigible. who you calling a dirigible...x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!